Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Aragwaith art thread

Post by Astoria »

This is wayfarer's Aragwaith art thread.
Last edited by Astoria on November 4th, 2013, 11:02 am, edited 12 times in total.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
sur.nhm

Re: Aragwaith sprites updated!

Post by sur.nhm »

updtaing the Agrawaithi sprites would be nice, but I think that it's low-priority.
BTW, I PM'd you quite a while ago about a crash-bug in WiB, so I'd apperciate a response :annoyed:
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

I had a wesbreak...
And it is my project, you are not the one to judge my "priority's"

New frame!
Attachments
ne attack frame.
ne attack frame.
pikeman-attack1-ne.png (5.76 KiB) Viewed 9086 times
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

@LightFighter That's not really much of an attack frame....

And really, something that crashes is a much higher priority the updated art let alone 'animations'. Then again, it's 'your project' so you can do whatever you want.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

It is just one frame. I'm updating the whole sprite with all the frames.
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

To be brutally honest it's not really an update. All I can see that you've really done is recolour the hair, you've not even changed the shadow to conform with the mainline style and there's still some aliasing around. Compare and contrast with the Aragwaith Strongbow, Slayer, Spearman, Swordsman, Guard and Swordmaster, as well as the vast majority of mainline sprites; that's the cleaner look you should be aiming for - My advice would be to start a sprite from scratch and use the old one as a reference, it'll give you more room to improve it.

Second point (and I can't emphasise this enough):

Get the baseframe right before even thinking about animations.

When you do start the animations bare in mind it's very difficult to judge the quality from (and of) a single frame - if you're updating: create a gif with all the old frames there, they'll provide useful references for how it will look. If you're creating a new animation: block out the animation first. Getting the motion right is essential before you start shading.

As an aside: by "low-priority" I think sur.nhm meant in the grand scheme of things (in Wesnoth), not in your personal priorities.
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

A while ago, the Aragwaithi were in the process of being updated by their original maker, Wayfarer/Shadow. An example of his work:

This was an update that went far beyond "adding some TC to the sprites"; he was essentially completely redoing each unit, complete with animations. I don't know what happened to Wayfarer/the process of updating them, but I know he got more done than the ones above. A forum search should reveal some more.

It should be noted that his style is very distinctive, extremely complete (as evidenced by the directional frames above, and the various poses) and may be hard to work with.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Urs wrote:I don't know what happened to Wayfarer/the process of updating them, [...]
This.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

shadowmaster wrote:This.
So whats actual missing?
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

wayfarer wrote:So whats actual missing?
You mean of the Aragwaithi? I think there's still some, although I don't actually know which... it's been a very long time since I played/worked with Wesnoth. Are you thinking of finishing them?
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

I don't know to be frank. I just feel burned out. I ask because I have salvaged the rest of my HD and I don't know what I have already published or if it will be used anyways.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

ah... I see. That's too bad.

I'm going to try get the Feudal Era (which includes the Aragwaithi) up and running with IE... sadly we hadn't even started getting in the new Aragwaithi graphics (to my knowledge) and I don't know the state of Extended Era.

I feel like you this is what you published... though it'd probably be best if you just stuck everything you have on a dropbox account or something...
Tet

Post by Tet »

The Argawaithi are used in the ANO Campaign. They are getting maintained now. They seem to use the old ones. But it is work in progress. So might have changed last week. The Akladian sprites could be reworked.

Argawaithi are cool. I liked them. The mage was great. The banner is exotic. I missed that it had a level 4 until I finished the campaign.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
Liryan

Post by Liryan »

or if it will be used anyways.
well i can say for sure the BEEM players/autors would like the new images/animation, i just pointed out to them the new ones and they said they'll use them whenever they're ready
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Ready is a bit tricky. I sorted to my heap of waste. The mage line female has some polished bse frames. The archer line has standing frames. The lvl 1 some more, but that's it.

-Ghost Fields