A Hopefully Non-Sexist Survey

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What's your gender?

Male
97%
Female
3%

Total votes: 101

Hulavuta

A Hopefully Non-Sexist Survey

Post by Hulavuta »

So, at the gas station I came up with the startling thought that the forum is dominantly male. At the risk of being accused as a sexist prick that needs to be shot, I would just like to take a quick survey to see the genders of the poster. I just want to know who, like me, is a girl, and who is a guy.

Please don't shoot me.

*I'm not really a girl, but I wanted to beat PeterPorty to the punch.

Shadowmaster says:
Let's see where this goes. Whoever goes off-topic* (i.e. brings stupid jokes into their posts such as "no girls in the internet") will be banned on sight.

So this topic will either die, or become useful for a change. Prove that Wesnoth.org's Off-Topic* section is still worth its entries in the forum database!

* (Off-Topic is the name of the forum. This has never meant that you can go wild and be stupid or such ("off-topic") in here.)
Last edited by Iris on June 21st, 2010, 9:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: "Pollified" and locked first post to avoid losing stats.
Araja

Re: A Hopefully Non-Sexist Survey

Post by Araja »

Realizing that gaming is mostly male comes as a startling thought? Where have been all these years? :P
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I think that anyone who would accuse you of being a sexist prick stating a fact that can easily be observed isn't worth listening to on the subject.

In case it needs be said, I'm male.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
PsychoticKittens

Post by PsychoticKittens »

I've seen a decent number of women playing wesnoth. Though most of the internet would like you to believe they're 50 year old child molesters named John. Though the forums do seem a bit more sparse.

and I'm a dude, contrary to popular belief.
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Araja wrote:Realizing that gaming is mostly male comes as a startling thought? Where have been all these years? :P

Hmm, I guess I didn't think about that. But another forum I go on that is about a game has a lot of female members. lol. Maybe I should delete the topic.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Hulavuta wrote:Please don't shoot me.
Nah, but let's see where this goes. Whoever goes off-topic* (i.e. brings stupid jokes into their posts such as "no girls in the internet") will be banned on sight.

So this topic will either die, or become useful for a change. Prove that Wesnoth.org's Off-Topic* section is still worth its entries in the forum database!

* (Off-Topic is the name of the forum. This has never meant that you can go wild and be stupid or such ("off-topic") in here.)
Last edited by Iris on June 21st, 2010, 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: 9th edit or something
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Araja

Post by Araja »

That link was fascinating, and mostly true.

I must have failed at least a dozen times to find a good response to it, but I can't find the words. Anyhow, placing value on maturity while also being a hardcore gamer is just difficult in both worlds. Be honest, other people must have this problem as well :)
johndh

Post by johndh »

I've heard it varies by genre, though. I did a report a while back on online gaming as it relates to nonverbal communication, and I seem to recall that the statistics favor females in MMORPGs and so-called "casual" games, while males gravitate more towards blasting people to bits in Call of Halo Gears 1942. Of course, I know a few women who enjoy unbridled simulated FPS violence against strangers as well.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I don't know about much about MMO or RPG communities however I do know that almost all strategy gamers I've met are male and most of the exceptions play mostly single player. Of course there are exceptions to that rule too and I can hardly claim to have met the majority of strategy gamers but that is my experiance.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
TheBladeRoden

Post by TheBladeRoden »

I did once meet a girl IRL who played Wesnoth. She had a boyfriend though :(
Founding Father of Columbia
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Remember...this is a survey, not a discussion about the amounts of women vs men players. You can talk about it, but please remember the point of the topic. (Check OP)
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
cretin

Post by cretin »

nice if this could have a poll. anyways, male
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Yeah, good idea. Done.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
psychic

Post by psychic »

Shadoemaster you forgot the 3rd gender while making the pole :P

On topic, I am a male