Wesnoth The Roguelike

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

RaustBD

What monster should I use?

Post by RaustBD »

I'm working on making wesnoth the roguelike into a scenario, and I came up with the idea of having an enemy monster unit wandering the caves to keep the player on his toes.

Essentially, it's going to be a modified version of something from the monster unit list, and it'll have obscenely buffed stats, to the point where the only sane course of action is to run the hell away from it.

Does anyone have a suggestion for what monster I should modify?
Kvinkunx

Re: What monster should I use?

Post by Kvinkunx »

That is pretty much a broad question I think. You might go for a unit that is fine in caves, eg. a troll shaman, but you can go virtually for anything since you will modify its stats anyway.

Also I think it is better to keep one thread related to your mod, people would know better what your question is related to. :wink:
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What monster should I use?

Post by Ken_Oh »

Kvinkunx wrote:Also I think it is better to keep one thread related to your mod, people would know better what your question is related to. :wink:
Indeed. It would be fine to have another thread for another forums, for example in the WML Workshop for the scenario's WML issues, but please keep it to one thread at a time in this forum.

A really nasty enemy would be one that uses both ranges well. Troll Shaman, Fire Dragon or Lich are the obvious choices.
RaustBD

Re: Wesnoth The Roguelike

Post by RaustBD »

Success!

I made a modified skeletal dragon, level 50.

I reduced its move to 3, and gave it regenerate and level 5 leadership. Its claw attack hits 10 times for 30 damage and inflicts plague, and its biting attack hits 4 times for 50 damage, still with the drain attribute.

It has 500 HP, and requires 4000XP to level up, which is really just to make sure he doesn't level up and instantly heal, which would suck.

Oh, and while the fact that he's level 50 does mean that anyone who survives a combat round against him is practically guaranteed to level up at LEAST once, that would be suicide, because it's almost impossible for him to NOT successfully kill whoever he targets with an attack.

So in the finished product, this beast will be let loose in the cave, destroying everything in its path and zombifying most of its victims. My goal is for it to be the boss of the scenario.
RaustBD

Post by RaustBD »

alright, a few balancing questions:

Since I'm going to make this a scenario, I decided to have some main characters: A swordfighter, a tank, a healer, a bowman, and the main character, a mage.

The mage's four allies are going to be silver crown units with enhanced stats, higher experience costs, and the ability to teleport.

The teleportation is a point of controversy i'm dealing with, since it's a really powerful ability, but the map is huge, and the ability to teleport between important places quickly is practically a necessity.

I, however, have no experience with balancing, so how much stronger should these main characters be?
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

Notice that your improved dragon does not have a ranged attack. Would this be problematic, that a unit could throw a spear at it, for instance, and level? I could see a tactic, where you mob with multiple units like that and only lose one from the monster on its upcoming turn.

Just saying.
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
RaustBD

Post by RaustBD »

i've actually modified it. instead of a dragon, it's a thing called the shroud. it still doesn't have a ranged attack, but it can pretty much kill anything it attacks, and it turns them into plague spreading minions.

actually, I also made it level 1.

the first stage of its 2 stage spawns is worth 50 xp instead, but that actually means it levels up to stage 2 faster, since it fights higher level enemies.