iPad version support/feedback thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

agwahtbzwszz

Re: Wesnoth for iPad

Post by agwahtbzwszz »

Kylepool, I had a quick look at the svn repository you publish your iphone port, does it also include changes needed for the ipad? I couldn't find any. I was impressed by the amount of changes, I can say that the code has diversified too much and backporting changes to wesnoth seems like a hard task.

I noticed that you have resolved several issues that are present in wesnoth some time now and make the game unplayable on smaller, less strong devices. For example I can see you use custom memory allocator, custom strings, custom associative arrays etc all over the place and you have actually managed to improve memory usage and CPU usage by a large margin (judging from your sketchy comments in wesnoth_notes.txt). It is also evident that you have performed a lot of measurements like heap profiling and CPU profiling.

It would be very interesting if even some of your work landed on wesnoth trunk and everyone benefitted from it. This is what open-source is about, by just publishing an svn repository with thousands of changes you comply to the opensource license but not to the opensource spirit of the community. I would very much like to see you sending patches and other data from your work to the dev team...

Thanks,
anonymous
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The shared_string, skiplist and pool_alloc already existed in 1.6.3, they were just unused. The first two have since been deleted I believe (for being unused), but resurrecting them would be a matter of seconds.

Things like removing replays save a lot of memory, but aren't changes we want to backport.

That doesn't make it less of an achievement to get Wesnoth to run in under 30MB, but does leave less candidates for backporting than I would like.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

agwahtbzwszz wrote:by just publishing an svn repository with thousands of changes you comply to the opensource license but not to the opensource spirit of the community. I would very much like to see you sending patches and other data from your work to the dev team...
Umm...what? By publishing his svn repository Kyle fulfills his obligations in law and in spirit. On the development team we have competent coders and are able to look at his changes and integrate them.

If Kyle were to send us a bunch of patches we'd have to review them all to see if they are suitable for mainline inclusion -- not everything will be -- and many of them would likely need to be rejected or ask for modifications before they could be applied. This would lead to a lot of frustration and wasted effort.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
HeWhoFarms

Post by HeWhoFarms »

Now if only my roommate would let me touch his Ipad.
Wesnoth sounds amazing on one.
kenlong69

Post by kenlong69 »

Hi all,

So it looks like the error on the Sceptre of Fire scenario is a show stopper.

I used debug mode, in the PC version of wesnoth, to skip to the next scenario (A Choice Must Be Made), then sync'd the auto save games with my Ipad and tried to load them.

I get an error - Game map cannot be loaded - illegal character found in map.

I also get a different error with another auto-save: The Game could not be loaded: Map not found.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated, I would LOVE to continue this game on the iPad.

Cheers,
Ken
wesleyl

Post by wesleyl »

I got an serious Bug on the ipad version.
when i load into Scenario 17 - The Sceptre of Fire of Heir To The Throne.
it says something like unknow unit, unit definition error(7)
then it kicks me back to title screen.
wesleyl

Post by wesleyl »

since there are so many save files on the ipad i want to delete them all and only keep the latest ones
however, t he sync dosent work well on the ipad, only some of them can be uploaded. when i tapped on the save file i wanted to upload, no thing happens........
what is going on?
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

agwahtbzwszz wrote:Kylepool, I had a quick look at the svn repository you publish your iphone port, does it also include changes needed for the ipad? I couldn't find any.
The source code contains a separate build target that has a preprocessor define "__IPAD__", so you can search for that to see the changes...

Sorry, I am just one person, and busy enough with the iPhone/iPad ports to produce well-packaged changes for use in the desktop branches... But I think the desktop version could use the art related upgrades, such as the more professional title screen and better looking load screen
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

For the sync saves feature, it will not always work if you are trying to sync with the latest v1.8 desktop Wesnoth, as the iPhone is still based on v1.6.x...
agwahtbzwszz

Post by agwahtbzwszz »

Umm...what? By publishing his svn repository Kyle fulfills his obligations in law and in spirit. On the development team we have competent coders and are able to look at his changes and integrate them.

If Kyle were to send us a bunch of patches we'd have to review them all to see if they are suitable for mainline inclusion -- not everything will be -- and many of them would likely need to be rejected or ask for modifications before they could be applied. This would lead to a lot of frustration and wasted effort.
Dave: I didn't mean that Kylepool should submit a gazillion of patches of everything he has done. But performance improvement and memory reduction is one of the main targets of devs for some time now, so I wouldn't say that patches for that would get you distracted...

And I think that the competent coders the project has would be more frustrated if they tried to pull from that repo.... The starting point of the repo is some private version, with many old parts commented out and others deleted. After that changesets are simply huge and not feature based, but release-based. I don't think you looked at it before replying, but if you did and indeed like it then good luck with that. ;-)

AI: skiplist and shared_string are not the only that I meant, even though important changes have happened to them too. From the wesnoth_notes.txt file I can tell that they were greatly changed and their performance much improved. Wasn't the speed tradeoff the primary reason they weren't adopted in mainline?

To be more specific, the other changes that I meant were about the use of dlmalloc, google's tcmalloc, loki's AssocVector class for string_map and the deprecation of t_string (how much did that actually save?)... Oh and the speed improvements the parser has had. I can't find anything else right now.

At least some discussion about what improvements each of these components brought would be very useful, even without patches. As you said, it is at least impressive for wesnoth to use only 30MB, and load the levels and the cache 10x faster, I would add...

KP: I understand you didn't have the time until now, but it would be nice to see some of your improvements in mainline, when you find some....
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

agwahtbzwszz wrote:

Dave: I didn't mean that Kylepool should submit a gazillion of patches of everything he has done. But performance improvement and memory reduction is one of the main targets of devs for some time now, so I wouldn't say that patches for that would get you distracted...
And the performance improvements that Kyle Poole has made would take a "gazillion patches" to get into Wesnoth mainline. It's not something that could be put into one neat little patch. I would not expect Kyle to have the time to package a usable set of patches up for us.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

I nominate agwahtbzwszz to make the patches, seems like he has enough free time! :twisted:

Any specific questions you have about the Wesnoth codes changes I am happy to answer, but this thread isn't the right place for it...
aegil

Post by aegil »

I just picked up the iPad version.

O_O.

I don't think I will ever play the iPhone version again... The iPad version is fantastic!

Thank you for all your hard work!!
Iggloo

Re: iPad version support/feedback thread

Post by Iggloo »

First of all, thanks for porting this great game to the iPad. It is easily the best game available on the entire platform in my humble opinion. It works wonderfully on the iPad touch screen.

That said, I have one question: how can I get the iPad keyboard to come up when I attempt to save, so that I can rename my saves as I see fit? I have been able to accomplish it here and there by madly slashing at the screen, but am not quite sure how I am doing it, and often cannot replicate my actions which leads to frustration.

Thanks again for bringing the game over, it is a joy to play.
Jensen

Re: iPad version support/feedback thread

Post by Jensen »

Hey, I have Wesnoth for iPad, wanted to drop a quick note to say that I love it! Was wondering if there will be any updates in the near future, especially for performance. Seems a little laggy, especially while calculating enemy AI/movement on larger maps. Thanks for all of your work, this is one of my favorite games, and I have it on Mac, iPad, and iPhone.