Introduction

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ranwenharp

Introduction

Post by Ranwenharp »

Just a quick introduction: I'm a composer and music teacher in real life (mostly school stuff) but have loved fantasy gaming since I was a kid. Played the original Kings Quest, and was hooked. Have been wanting to try gaming music for awhile, and Wesnoth had just the right storyline to get my creativity going. Thanks for the feedback so far - looks like I need to get much better sample quality. May take awhile, as I'm a bit technology challenged. Consider this a "hibernating" work at the moment.
-Ranwenharp

Wesnoth - Riders Theme.mp3
Last edited by Ranwenharp on June 14th, 2010, 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Introduction and Demo Song for feedback

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi,

I'm not in charge of music submissions (or much of anything), but I want to warn you that it is a little difficult to judge this because of the synthesizer instrumentation. If you were planning to develop the sound samples after getting the green light, you should probably go ahead and do that, even if you keep it short.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
PPH

Re: Introduction and Demo Song for feedback

Post by PPH »

I find this is not bad at all, although not especially attractive either. However, I understand this is a work in project, and I find some good ideas that might work very well if this is further developed. As doofus-01 said, the instruments don't sound well. It seems you used a generic general MIDI library. You should replace it with better samples, like the ones provided here:

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=28736

At the beginning there is some kind of metronome counting the beats. This should go, of course :D The orchestration is ok, I think. The trombone that starts playing in the beginning (I think it is supposed to be a trombone), in my opinion, could be accompanied by a second voice, one fourth below; this would achieve a medieval tournament sort of feel that would go well with the spirit of the piece. I have no idea what the instrument that starts playing a little before 0:40 is supposed to be, but it doesn't sound that nice. The percussion is a little repetitive, and could change when the parts change (such as when that instruments starts playing, which is a different section of the piece). I think if you develop this a little more and improve the quality of the samples used, a nice piece result.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Re: Introduction

Post by West »

Ranwenharp, I never got a chance to listen to your piece before you removed it again. If you want some official comments on it, please repost it (or post a new version).
Ranwenharp

Re: Introduction

Post by Ranwenharp »

reposted theme in original msg.