1v1 Replays! (THE ARCHIVE)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kolbur

Re: 1v1 Replays! (THE ARCHIVE)

Post by Kolbur »

And here's another epic match over 40 turns on scarred foothills, a potential new map for the ladder! The battle goes back and forth between Rigor's Orcs and my Dwarves for a long time with no obvious winner in sight. Only after i could finally lvl up some units the tides turned to the dwarves favor. Have fun watching!
Attachments
scarred_foothills_replay.gz
including a lot of chatting
(71.56 KiB) Downloaded 689 times
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

An incredibly long game that could easily have gone on much longer however I didn't feel like dragging it out. My opponents leader was a red mage and leveled though I was disappointed by him not grabbing a silver mage.

We both picked random and we ended up with me as undead and my opponent as loyalists. Match lasted many turns.

I feel that this game demonstrates the main problem I have with undead vs loyalists very well. The only undead unit that counters human cavalry well does not counter them at day and is much slower. I won't claim my play in this match was incredibly good (I made many mistakes owing to lack of information) nor that I didn't have a chance to win (for awhile after my opponent made a huge mistake during his offense about turn 28 I had the advantage), however I think that there is definitely a slight imbalance in this match after critical mass is reached. I feel that a decent portion of the problem is that Dark adepts which are a critical asset to the undead offense are countered incredibly hard by a loyalist cavalry which can be safely used as the base for the loyalist armies as long as they are careful enough to not get caught at night (which isn't hard when you're fast).

I do feel like a good portion of the reason why I was able to survive until he made his massive mistake was due to luck. I think that if my opponent had had a leader that was not a mage this match would have gone much differently. My last offense on the right with my level twos was simply foolish however by that point it shouldn't have mattered because if my opponent had chosen silver mage over archmage I would have been hosed for any offensive maneuver anyway (as a great deal of the reason why I was willing to take his leaders attack was because I knew that it would prevent him from recruiting for awhile giving me a chance to strike elsewhere).

Even if you don't feel like combing through 55 turns to try to figure out what this game says about the balance of the match-up I suspect that many would find it quite entertaining.
Attachments
2p_-_The_Freelands_replay_partII.gz
(57.26 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

thats a really entertaining game, and cavalry is played like it should be played. sometimes i had the impression that u attacked while you shouldnt, but wait for an army split instead (he attacks you on both sides) but that actually never happened. then, rastan gambled quite a lot with horsemen hitting and he simply got away with a lot, while saving his expensive units for the next day. its not so normal that UD get owned THAT MUCH. maybe hes jsut a good player, cant tell. i just felt it was kind of a gamble at speed 4 :)
Kolbur

Post by Kolbur »

Holy [censored]!
This following match laughs about your little quickie, Velensk. :D
The ladder game between plk2 with Northerners and TDW_Florent with Rebels lasted for epic 93 turns, seriously! And they didn't just hit end turn all the time. Ok, it starts off a bit slow, both played very carefully, but in the end there were enough kills to fill 10 ladder games. Do i even have to mention that there were lvl 3 units on both sides? ^^
I won't tell who won this, go watch this awesome match and be sure you have enough time. :wink:
Attachments
93_epic_turns.gz
Orcs vs Elves on Freelands
(89.7 KiB) Downloaded 619 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

crosslinked to the suicide bomber thread.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I feel kind of bad archiving this one because it is distinctly to the discredit of one of the players and I did not ask his permission but hopefully it will get buried in the archives and for the time anyone whose interested can get a quick laugh out of it. There is no gameplay value (infact there is hardly any gameplay in it at all but there is a quick laugh).

One of the downsides of getting a 2vs2 mainlined that they didn't warn me about was the sheer number of players who would treat it like isars cross regardless of how big it is. I don't know if the replay saves time stamps but the game probably lasted just under 10 minutes. Purple did indeed play the fastest however none of the rest of us were especially slow.

I will note that the game continued after the replay ends however after you see the replay you'll see why I didn't bother with the rest of match.
Attachments
4p_-_Ruins_of_Terra-Dwelve_funny.gz
(14.43 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Baldanders

Post by Baldanders »

An entertaining (to me) game that Valkier and I played. We both picked random, I ended up with Rebels, Valk with Loyalists.

It is 42 turns long and ends with a VERY close leader vs. leader battle.
Attachments
valk_vs_bal_freelands_replay.gz
(34.69 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

something is fishy on freelands...

here an unusual center assault at ok-go! (careful with fishy duellists :mrgreen: )
i could have attacked 6 turns later of course but i wanted to see the immediate effect of such an early attack with 4 fishies. conclusion: be careful with leaders and dont try at home, kids!: D)

very short but big excitement nevertheless :)
Attachments
2S_–_Freies_Land_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
fishy freelands Rigor v ok-go
(14.14 KiB) Downloaded 545 times
Henrythe12th

Palying Onis from Flanks

Post by Henrythe12th »

In this match the initial recruitment of two ghosts enabled me (p2, undead) to get the opponents (TaleKeeper = p1 = Loyalist) village on right flank and to hold it for the whole match.

Interesting match with lots of changes. I didn't expect to win it :-)

Regards,

Henry
Attachments
Den_of_Onis_Turn_28_TaleKeeper_vs_Henrythe12th.gz
(45.28 KiB) Downloaded 434 times
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Interesting Knalgans vs Rebels game on the freelands. I played as the rebels. I felt my opponent would benefit from a few more outlaws and/or thunderers however the method he choose certainly was annoying to defeat. I think that were it not for the success of my first offense I would have been marked for hard game.

I won with a negative kill/loss ratio.
Attachments
2p_-_The_Freelands_replay.gz
(24.84 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

i just have to cross-link this one to this place. it is amazing how sometimes almost won games can be lost in the blink of an eye.

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 35#p448435

13 horrible turns for poor rigor but the end of the game was very very unexpected!!!!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

The match I'm posting does not demonstrate exceptional play on either side (infact I felt my own play was somewhat poor here). However I felt compelled to post it for the excuse he made at the end.
Spoiler:
EDIT: This is for 1.9.1
Attachments
2p_Crescent_Lake_replay.gz
(15.04 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

This game played on Cresent Lake was of much better quality than the last. I was playing as the loyalists in a loyalists vs rebels match.

For wesnoth 1.8
Attachments
2p_Crescent_Lake_replay.gz
(42.75 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

hey velensk,

i wanted u to take a look at this rp of mine on the crescent lake. i found it really hard to push my first night advantage not only because my opponent very well knew where i would strike long ago thus producing some "right" counterunits that would slaughter the first attackers but also because i simply had no chance to reach the other guys vills in time, meaning i couldnt get there before dawn which was pretty lame. i would like to kindly ask u to change the starting time to something more reasonable for rushing factions otherwise the first night is good for nothing and future chaotic players would stand around, giving the game a non-dynamic touch.

cheers R
Attachments
2p_-_Crescent_Lake_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
tod a little too harsh?
(25.82 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

Hey Rigor, I just opened a local game and began messing with orcs on the map and I think part of the problem may have been attacking the wrong side. I think both p1 and p2 can launch an attack a turn earlier on the right than on the left. So I'm not so sure it should be changed anymore, I'd like to see someone try rushing the right first. Changing the TOD might overpower a good attack on the other side. Though if the orc player is restricted to his initial recruit with reinforcements taking a while to come in, it still should be defendable.

Also here's another game on the map I played just afterwards, I mention in the chat about changing a piece of shallow water to deep water so a 6mp drake can't reach 1 of p1s villages in 2 moves.

I really like the map, hope some of these replays help. :D
Attachments
2p_-_Crescent_Lake_replay.gz
Dwarves vs Drakes
(19.7 KiB) Downloaded 290 times