Art for Wose Faction

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
battlestar

Re: Art for Wose Faction

Post by battlestar »

Good stuff, maybe the wose scout can be more willow like... and the faction as a whole can include other plants (vines with entangle, Titan arum with the stinky attack, palms that throw their coconuts, venus fly traps, cactus, the possibilities are endless), flowers, and and perhaps animals that are good friends with the wose (ie. woodpeckers, and a beehive throwing attack)?

A horde of various plants coming for your life could be fearsome and awesome indeed.
LUA: Llama Under Apprenticeship
Hell faction: completed
Fog

Post by Fog »

:hmm: Only place to put TC other than his wrist/arm would be his drool. It would be interesting, but its kind of, well, an odd idea.
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

Yeh I get the whole animal thing but the focus here is on the magical wose beings not some piece of crap squirrel that's gonna come out of a woses belly and eat someone alive. Frankly, I don't know how to make a tree made out of pixels look "more willow like", I'm no sprite artist. Also I feel like I've said this a million times but Woses aren't plants or trees. They resemble trees and look like trees but they are not trees. They are fantasy creatures that are very much fairies. I understand having diffrerent types of trees that resemble different types of woses. I am going to have a cactus wose as a second fighting wose and I don't understand having a venus fly trap when you have a giant tree that already crushed people. Also, last time I checked, there wasn't a plant that moved extremely fast like a scout.

So far I have two fighters (Wose, Cactus), an archer/poison (Sickly), a scout (Scout) and a level 0 (Shrub). If you think any should be changed please only mention one at a time. I hate writing crap loads of stuff and then repeating it over and over again because people can't be bothered reading the whole thread.

Other units are a mage, a water-based wose and a half breed elf/wose. I'm still not sure where they fit in or what they're supposed to be but I know that a lot of people are expecting a fire-like wose for the mage. As far as a water based unit goes. I have no idea.
Everything is edible, some things just aren't good for you.

Current Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30104
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Phyreprooph wrote:I am going to have a cactus wose as a second fighting wose
If you're interested, there is already a Cactus Wose, called Cactose, in the campaign The Sojournings of Grog. I wrote the code for this unit and Kerth made the sprites. If you want to use this unit, feel free to do so (giving the right credits, of course). :)
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

Wow thanks heaps. Mind if I add some levels to it or something? It could use some. Very useful as a mixed fighter though. :D Thanks.

Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Phyreprooph wrote:Mind if I add some levels to it or something? It could use some.
Indeed, the sprite is for a Level 1. I always planned to have a Level 2 Elder Cactose, but I'm not an artist. You can add any level and do everything you want, of course :) If you will create a Level 2 sprite (Kerth made the Level 1 starting from the Walking Corpse Wose, you can start maybe from the Soulless Wose sprite), can I add it to the TSoG campaign?
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

Once I'm done, if it's up to what ever standards you may have, then sure. :D

Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

Well here it is. Took me a while been a little busy lately but it's done.
Attachments
elder-cactose-wose.png
elder-cactose-wose.png (1.93 KiB) Viewed 3249 times

Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The cactus wose looks good, but awfully cartoony with the stubby branches and rounded ends. Way too "cute" for an elder wose, in my opinion. I see no reason why it shouldn't retain the original proportions of a saguaro cactus, to get the towering/menacing look. Also, I think that adding the ridged surface texture would look good too.

Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

So how about this. Slightly taller and what not.
Attachments
elder-cactose-wose.png
elder-cactose-wose.png (1.96 KiB) Viewed 3215 times

Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

It's the huge round head that gives him the baby-look. Why not a tall, narrow head with elongated face?
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
iLeeT_PeeP

Post by iLeeT_PeeP »

Looks awesome to me. But yah i guess a narrow face would be diff.
My MaPs... PeeP's Maps
Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

So how about now?
Attachments
elder-cactose-wose.png
elder-cactose-wose.png (1.92 KiB) Viewed 3130 times

Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

I personally like more the first version, because it's more similar to the Cactose that I already have in TSoG. It looks very nice, but to make it a bit more different from the Level 1 Cactose maybe you can place a second flower somewhere else (on an arm?). And, to keep the same style of the L1 Cactose, you should shorten its roots a bit (check the differences between the Cactose and the Zombie Wose to have an idea). Apart from these two things, it needs only some animations, so I can add it to TSoG (movig its arm to throw the spikes, like the L1 Cactose does, will be fine). Again, very nice work! :D
Just in case that you need some other different Woses as a base for your sprites, here there are the Woses sprites (and their undead variations) from Wesnoth 1.0, and the old Shaman Wose from Delfador's Memoirs (before that the campaign was mainlined).
Attachments
woses.zip
Old wose sprites
(111.01 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

Yeh the first one was alright but i like the second one the best out of all of them. He look elongated enough to be an 'elder' but he also keeps that same rounded head shape that the cactose has. I'll definately change the roots though. Glad you like it. I'm not the best at animations though let me warn you now.