General Strategies

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

usr-sbin

General Strategies

Post by usr-sbin »

I have tried to play wesnoth online, however I struggle as I have no idea what to do. Are there any general strategies that I can apply, anywhere I can pick up some general strategies or should I just play a lot of game and improvise as I go along?

Thanks in advance
Continuing Siege of Soradoc
Dixie

Re: General Strategies

Post by Dixie »

I'm not sure they are exactly up to date, and not complete either, but I find the How to Play series really useful for general pointers.

http://wiki.wesnoth.org/How_to_play...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

It seems to me that there won't be many general strategy tips that would apply to all factional match-ups. Probably only to keep units alive, try to kill enemy units when possible, capture "your" villages efficiently and protect them.

The finer points come from how to prioritize. Maybe some units should be kept alive, while others can be treated as expendable if necessary. Maybe some targets should be better left alone, rather than risking your units in an unsure kill attempt. Maybe protecting a specific village is not worth the sacrifice in units.

What I've come up so far in terms of combat, is to consider the tactics for both attack and defense. In attack you get to choose which units fight which enemies and you can focus attacks on a single target, you take retaliation damage in return though. On defense it's the other way around, the enemy gets to pick any of your exposed units as targets, but you can use ZoC/terrain defense/resistance/retaliation in order to provide a strong front line and make their attacks difficult.

Additionally, what happens in the other player's turn is also important. Even if you get the initial choice of targets and could cause substantial damage or even kills, the tables are turned in the enemy's turn, and his counter attack could possibly be even stronger. The reverse happens when you defend. The key here is the units that are behind the front lines, these units will probably the fragile but heavy damage dealer units.

Also when on defense, if you can make so that the unit that took the blunt of the damage of enemy's attacks can both survive and can immediately retreat to heal then you can eventually neutralize part/all the damage that was taken, without much cost (maybe just upkeep during the turns the unit heals).

There also special tactics that can be applied to different degree by different factions. For example, baiting can cause the enemy to expose their damage dealers prematurely, which then in the next turn can get killed easily.

Beyond that I think only faction specific advice is left. The "How to play A vs B" guides are a good start in that case. Those give a pretty good idea of which units to recruit, and the importance of these according to the enemy units you're facing.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

The common sense guide is a fairly good place to start for general advice.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
usr-sbin

Post by usr-sbin »

Thank you for your help, it has definitely given me an idea of where to start. Also thank you for helping me a while ago Velensk :D I'm sorry I had to stop playing mp for a while!
Continuing Siege of Soradoc