iPad version support/feedback thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

psifertex

Re: Wesnoth for iPad

Post by psifertex »

Awesome! Thanks for the update, I can't wait.
edtech

Post by edtech »

Thanks for the excellent port, Kyle.

How do you get the unit descriptions on a unit on an iPad or iPhone? On a computer, you would right click to bring up the "d" command for description, but I can't figure out how to "right click" on a touch device. Double tap does not bring up a menu with the "d-description" option.

Again, thanks for releasing this on the iPad. It is so much more fun than on the tiny iPhone screen. Well done!
winsettz

Post by winsettz »

So here I am, brand new Wesnoth player. Bought iPhone and iPad versions. Comments as follows:

-In the Ooze campaign, and during any dialogues it's diffcult to select options and press the button to select a dialogue option. Buttons are small and weren't scaled up for the iPad.

-The iPad black-screen issue has come up on the iTunes reviews (and quite a few reviews have actually been deleted). Workaround is screen lock, which has fixed the issue for now.

I kind of wish I could port my campaigns from my iPhone game to my iPad, but I suppose I'll have to play through them again.
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

Unit descriptions - should be in episode 5 as a separate popup when you tap on the icon on the unit info panel on the left, or select "unit info" from the context menu. Initially this wasn't included because it took too much memory to bring up the full help system while in-game

Tiny dialogue choice selection - yes this needs to be redone entirely for iPhone/iPad, I am hoping for episode 5 as well

Saved game syncing - this will be the highlight of new episode 5 features. You can sync between iPhone, iPad, even desktop systems using a web-based interface

Black screen - This happens at certain spots such as talking screens, if you rotate you device too much. I don't know how I missed this, but maybe my hand is steadier than most. :P A quick fix has been submitted already, but yes if you experience this based on your iPad holding style, you can turn on your screen orientation lock for now
the751

Post by the751 »

Real quick question, is there online play on the Ipad version? Would I be able to play againced Pc/Mac players in multiplayer
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I don't have the iPhone version, I heard that you can play between other iPhones, but not to a computer.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

You know what? I think the control scheme isn't the best. Double-tapping requires a controlled interval in my experience- wait too long and it doesn't register. Perhaps you could set something up where, in the options menu, you can choose to have the "open right click menu" function be activated by doubletaps or holding for a second or two?
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

The next update has better tap to move support, it knows the difference if you double tap to move, or you double tap to bring up the context menu... I agree, it makes playing a lot easier!

Multiplayer is full cross-platform: iPhone, iPad, PC, Mac, Linux...
Nevyen

Post by Nevyen »

Hello,

I recently discovered Wesnoth through the app store on my iPad (I know have it on my desktop and laptop as well) So far it is an amazing game and I've had a lot of fun with it.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to play a multiplayer game with some people on iPads and some on Desktops. The Multiplayer option on the iPad does not let me select a server like the desktop version does (For multiplayer games there I just start a server on one computer and connect to its IP on the other)

Since the iPad does not let me select the server I am assuming we will need to play online, even though we are all on the same lan network?

However the iPad does not seem to connect to the normal official server, honestly I have no idea where it is I'm connecting, lol.

If anyone has any ideas, or knows which server I should connect to on the desktops to be able to interact with the iPads it would be a huge help!

Thanks in advance! =)
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The ipad version is based on wesnoth 1.6.3, a release in the previous stable series. It is not compatible with 1.8.x and has its own MP server.
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

This has been mentioned by Kyle, but I am just adding my two cents in anyway.

I got my iPad yesterday, and based on reviews I bought Battle for Wesnoth the first day. To make the developers feel good, I am astonished at the depth this game has for what I paid for it. (Though I noted that it would be going up in price soon according to the App Store). I was really impressed.

Technical issues: Going through the tutorial I really struggled to hit the buttons it was telling me to hit. And I don't have big fat fingers. I found myself wishing I had a stylus, and was trying to click with my fingernails. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know if that can be improved.. but it's tricky even on the larger screen of the iPad.

Also, in the first tutorial I kept being interrupted by a menu asking me if I had the hang of it, or did I want to continue. The default was to continue, and I would hit the "okay" button and it would light up. However box wouldn't close and the game would not continue even though I would spam the button (seeing it light up when I pressed it). You might want to check the responsiveness of the button controls.
chzhang

Post by chzhang »

Dear Sirs, the "Wesnoth for iPad" is great and I have already completed a few campaigns, but I'm afraid I have now encountered a technical problem and got stuck in the game. Your help is greatly appreciated!

The problem is with the campaign "Eastern Invasion", right at the beginning of the scenario "Captured". The game would always crash at the beginning of the first turn and sends me back to the iPad's home screen. If I load a saved game at the beginning of "Captured", or load a save at the end of the previous scenario ("Lake Vrug") and then beat that scenario, I'll end up getting the same crash. I have also tried to shut down and restart iPad but that didn't work.

If anyone had luck getting past the "Captured" scenario please let me know. I wonder if the problem is specific to my saved game, for example if the game doesn't like one of my recruits... :( Is it possible to import/export game saves on iPad? Thanks...~
Al3xand3r

Post by Al3xand3r »

Is this even legal? Did every single contributor give the rights to his stuff of this OPEN SOURCE (?) project when he submitted them or something? Can you just sell software that includes the work of so many people without each and every one's written permission? Just curious cos it seems like a legal headache.

And yeah, makes no sense the prices are different.

Watch your language, and try and not come across as really aggressive, especially when you aren't sure what the GLP license entails ;)--Thrawn
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Al3xand3r wrote:Is this even legal? Did every single contributor give the rights to his stuff of this OPEN SOURCE (?) project when he submitted them or something? Can you just sell software that includes the work of so many people without each and every one's written permission? Just curious cos it seems like a legal mindfuck.
Yes, you can sell open-source software, the only caveat is that you have to let other people give it away for free. It's not really Kyle's fault that Apple's not letting other people give it away for free - though there might be some level of injustice there, it's hardly outright illegal.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Zarel wrote:
Al3xand3r wrote:Is this even legal? Did every single contributor give the rights to his stuff of this OPEN SOURCE (?) project when he submitted them or something? Can you just sell software that includes the work of so many people without each and every one's written permission? Just curious cos it seems like a legal mindfuck.
Yes, you can sell open-source software, the only caveat is that you have to let other people give it away for free.
(or sell it themselves for more, less or same)
Zarel wrote: It's not really Kyle's fault that Apple's not letting other people give it away for free - though there might be some level of injustice there, it's hardly outright illegal.
You are allowed to:
  • get the installed game of your i-device and transfer it to any other device (of your own or of another owner who wants this)
  • get the source, build it yourself and put it on your (or anyone else's) device
The problem is that the "transfer on device" part is not easy, and really only doable on cracked devices, since Apple does not approve this. And Apple does not accept a second "Wesnoth" on the iStore.