An Island or Shade Does MP

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Shade

Post by Shade »

The attached map is intended for MP. It is a four player map, and the villages are balanced in each of the four keep areas. The map is dominated in the centre by a Island with a cave. Those who hold the island will hold the (economic) balance of power. This map is suitable for team play (In just about any configuration). There was no attempt at terrain symmetry instead I opted for areas the would be blatantly favourable to certain factions, but a map that was balanced on the whole.

The Keeps:
1 - NW: Forest dominated area
2 - NE: Mixed snow plains
3 - SW: Mixed desert plains
4 - SE: Mountain dominated area
Centre: An island ringed by trees and swamp, with a ring of plains, dominated by hills, mountains, and a cave.

There is one file in the .zip, just extract it to where you put MP scenarios.

Have Fun!!

_Shade
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Nice fo you to post an image with a shot of the map and the minimap. It's a nice way to preview a multiplayer map. It looks like fun.
scott

Post by scott »

Very blizzard of you. nice!
Shade

Post by Shade »

scott wrote:Very blizzard of you. nice!
I've never played any of the Blizzard games :(
Shade

he he

Post by Shade »

He he. . . I used my Magical CVS powers to sneak this map in. If you have comments you can put them here.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I remember when a lot of people did Battle reports of Warcraft or Starcraft games they would show a screenshot of the mini-map with a shot of one of the cool battle scenes on top, sort of like what you did. I wonder if multiplayer gets really popular, will people star writing battle reports of their games? I guess with replays, we relaly don't need battle reports written out. People could just post replays of their favorite games, with some comments on their strategy.
sanna

Post by sanna »

quartex wrote:People could just post replays of their favorite games, with some comments on their strategy.
Actually it would be kind of cool if there was a way to add such comments to replay....
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

I have a question...Can we show pictures of our maps done for MP and if they are balanced they go inside Wesnoth for MP ???
I ask that because I have nice 1vs1 maps and a beautiful 4 vs 5 map(never ended in play,just posible to finish it playing all 4 players = humans not ai)...
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
Shade

The best

Post by Shade »

The Best way to go about it is to do the map, maybe attach replay, and show at least the mini-map. . . Then it is a matter of hunting down a dev and convincing the that your map is balanced, and would be a good addition to the game. Please note the hunting down a dev does not include: stalking, harassing, nagging, or threatening :) This process goes a lot better if you have a few respected people who happen to think your map is good.

Who does what can be found here:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3134

Please note that I am only the TROW guy. Anything else I do (that goes beyond the truly trivial, like adding a missing unit description), I have to ask before I do.

It should also be noted that there is talk of making a MP map server much like the campaign server. If your maps are good then they will rise to the top there, and you might have devs coming to you asking about including them in 1.0 :)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Mkgego wrote:I have a question...Can we show pictures of our maps done for MP and if they are balanced they go inside Wesnoth for MP ???
Sure! :)

A very nice selection of maps would be great.

I think a needed feature for maps though is a description of the map, since a mp map is more interesting if there's some kind of description/history of it :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

yes, that and a way to easily tell how many players are expected to play, and what is the desired race for each starting point...

the terrain around the starting point is important for game balance, and mp player need a way to help player find the right one...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Shade

Post by Shade »

Mkgego wrote:I have a question...Can we show pictures of our maps done for MP and if they are balanced they go inside Wesnoth for MP ???
I ask that because I have nice 1vs1 maps and a beautiful 4 vs 5 map(never ended in play,just posible to finish it playing all 4 players = humans not ai)...
Sorry Mkgego if it seems like I was telling you to jump through hoops. I just didn't want everybody with a MP map knocking on my door :) Just for the record. If you, or anybody else, can get the OK for a map to go in from a core developer, I'd be happy to add it. So long as I can 'see' that it was OKed. . .

(edit: This is part of my evil plan to keep Dave [& the other Devs] up to his neck in C++. I'll gladly 'commit' any trivial thing that gets a thumbs up.)
dms

Post by dms »

Boucman wrote:yes, that and a way to easily tell how many players are expected to play, and what is the desired race for each starting point...

the terrain around the starting point is important for game balance, and mp player need a way to help player find the right one...
Would it be possible to include this information in a form that Wesnoth could understand?

So if you select a map, and don't change any of the parameters, it defaults to playing it as the author intended.
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

scott wrote:Very blizzard of you. nice!
Very Blizzard of him? The map wasn't that unbalanced. :lol:
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Dave wrote:I think a needed feature for maps though is a description of the map, since a mp map is more interesting if there's some kind of description/history of it :)
There are LOTS of needed features for MP maps.

Notably, my suggestion from somewhere: To have a better selection screen than a simple list. (list gets too long...) The idea was that they would be divided into categories based on the number of players.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.