Brotherhood of Light - Multiplayer RPG Scenario

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheGreatRings

Re: Brotherhood of Light - Multiplayer RPG Scenario (0.5.7)

Post by TheGreatRings »

Apolegies for posting in a thread that`s been inactive for two months, but I wasn`t sure where else to ask this:

Is there any chance this map will be added to 1.8 in the future?
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Brotherhood of Light - Multiplayer RPG Scenario (0.5.7)

Post by zookeeper »

The Great Rings wrote:Apolegies for posting in a thread that`s been inactive for two months, but I wasn`t sure where else to ask this:

Is there any chance this map will be added to 1.8 in the future?
Yeah, there is. I should get to work on that ASAP. :hmm:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Brotherhood of Light - Multiplayer RPG Scenario (0.5.8)

Post by zookeeper »

A new version can now be found on the 1.8 add-on server. There's a bit of new stuff too in addition to just porting the scenario from 1.6 to 1.8 (which was rather painful):

Code: Select all

Version 0.5.8

- Fixed the well event not triggering with a bucket if you had visited it
      without one already.
    - Fixed the hint about returning to Maldor when the last brother is found
      not appearing.
    - Made it possible to switch the side of characters that join you.
    - Made the current/max hitpoints be shown when selecting which brother to
      cast bless or nexus on.
    - Fixed the swimming perk not improving swamp movement and made it improve
      reef movement as well.
    - Made the woodsmanship perk improve swamp movement.
    - Gold received as a reward is now given as a total amount divided evenly
      amongst the players, meaning that you get more gold per player if there
      are less than four players.
    - Changed all portraits to core portraits so that having the mainline
      campaigns installed is no longer required for the portraits to work.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Very nice. :D
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hey, Zookeeper I played this through for the first time in ages. Nice work! I was impressed by the changes, but I also found a number of bugs.

I played it with sides 1 and 2. The only detrimental effect this had was messy text in the shared gold messages, and idle free units (2 trappers, some of Lyodus' soldiers, etc).

Here's what I jotted down:
- When I investigated the dead yeti body after killing the yeti proper, Stuart (who was back in the town at this point) says stuff suggesting that the hunt is still on.
- Some of the dialogue in the library has the wesnoth icon instead of character portraits, even when it seems to be said in first person.
- There's a small typo in the troll dialogue: "Still, it is rather exiciting to see them in the flesh."
- Dionne the librarian says that the encyclopedia was checked by Maldor himself, yet the entry on monastery makes it out that he is a weirdo cult leader.
- Bill the rat-catcher begins as neutral (even though he is a ruffian). I like that. It's a good idea to stop him being hindered by all the illuminates, but he changed back to chaotic when he levels up.
- Typo in Draylia's dialogue: "When he tired to steal the Amulet..."
- I was able to bless myself. Is this intentional?
- Looking at the code i see some stuff about the effect of Eklin amulet on melee damage. I wasn't aware of this in the game.
- The tavern place in Hayshore run by Yoll has Argo Armour for sale.
- Selling tulips to Yoll results in the Brotherhood code being broken. Intentional?
- Maybe the option to sell tulips should sell them all. Selling one at a time is annoying and the option to only sell one isn't required.
- The Battle magic menu is captioned speed magic.
- A Spearman on the west edge of Hayshore seems to begin on the ground outside the wall. I don't think this is intentional. Should be on the wall.
- Typo: Talena the fortune teller says: "Consider the lilly, but do not pick"
- I got poisoned by being in the house next to the river in Trelo. The hex range must be wrong.
- The Mage created by the illusion spell is killed before the ai moves, rendering the spell completely pointless.
- I reckon the event that kills the conjured deathblade should have animate=yes.
- The text for the object found in the junk in the caves near Trelo says it is a 'helmet' when it should be 'locket'. In actual fact, the locket was meant for a mini-quest that never got added, so the whole thing could be removed, though it is fine if it stays.
- The portrait for the 'hermit' should perhaps change to a white mage when the text suggests he throws off his disguise.
- The orc guards ran at me when i neared the encampment walls. Is this intentional? They used to be castle-bound.
- Likewise, the Draug in the Glimero Caverns ran at me, leaving his halo behind. He used to be stuck there.
- The printed text for the orcish ambush should probably be the same size as the normal ambush text.
- In the Glimero caverns, one of the images for the 4 dwarves is missing.
- The text for the dwarves' strange bodies should be first_time_only=yes
- The printed text explaining the right-click bit of the bane/capture spell vanishes far too quickly. It's hard to read it.
- At the training camp, Sibblos cannot help upgrade magical weapons. This makes him pretty pointless.
- The hex range for the training camp intro text is too wide. I got it first in the Glimero caverns. I had not yet visited the camp.
- It is possible to sign up with kaspian, even when you've got remaining lessons in hand.
- The way you changed the ghost's xp when they respawn was a neat idea, but the skeleton dragons often mysteriously moved onto the swamp terrain and promptly got poisoned.
- I opened the door to Quaxoir's room, but i didn't get any dialogue even though i could see him. The white mage ran at me and i killed him.
- My side 1 mage got petrified but I wasn't able to 'reanimate him'. This is where I gave up. :)

At two points The game suddenly and unexpectedly crashed. The first time the stderr.txt file said:
Spoiler:
When it crashed the the second time it was even weirder: I hadn't even touched the mouse or keyboard for about a minute.

I hope you understand I am being constructive in posting all these bugs, not critical. I just feel a bit cheeky when you've kindly taken on maintaining this mod for me. However, some of them are just suggestions, and some of them were probably in there from the start.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Thanks Bob, that's what I call a useful post! A few of those I've already fixed (such as the dialogue not flowing quite right when there's less than four players), but most were new to me. I'll be going through your list one by one ASAP and try to fix everything, if possible.

And of course that's constructive; I'm sure that you of all people know how hard it is to find all the bugs in something as big as BoL unless someone points them out to you, and besides I can just blame them on you if necessary. No one's gonna take the time to check if they were there from the beginning or not. :mrgreen:
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Haha. Nice one. I forgot to mention that i played it on 1.8 so perhaps that might help explain the crashes. I also forgot to say that I had a nasty surprise when the drake boss flew off his perch and killed me as soon as i entered mount sulphur. Has some wml change broken the usual way to make units immobile?
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:Haha. Nice one. I forgot to mention that i played it on 1.8 so perhaps that might help explain the crashes. I also forgot to say that I had a nasty surprise when the drake boss flew off his perch and killed me as soon as i entered mount sulphur. Has some wml change broken the usual way to make units immobile?
Well, there were a lot of cases of "grassland" not having gotten converted to "flat", so that explained the orcs and the draug. I'm not sure about the drake boss, though.

Oh, and as for all those bugs you listed: I've got most of them fixed, just a couple ones more to go.
aceman
Translator

Post by aceman »

Hi.

1. The selling of Tulips one by one may be beneficial. Because you are punished (by lowering XP) for it, it may be useful to tactically sell only some of them. The same with money. If money can be stolen from you (e.g. by the thief in Hayshore), it may be useful to leave some tulips and not convert them to money (sell) all. The tulips aren't stolen. I use this feature this way. So it may be useful to preserve it.

2. Please also check the Gryphon spell. I have the impression it disappears after first use.

3. The lowering of XP as punishment allows XP to get negative. But it seems to work, doesn't cause any problems for the engine.

4. When I revealed the elvish base in the forest, by using carvings in the dry tree, the dialogue had no options but "we" decided to attack the elves and we broke the brotherhood code (=XP punishment). Is that intentional? There was no choice. Or does this depend on some other choices made elsewhere? Then when the elvish sorcerers are killed and the stoned mage is freed, the other elves kill him immediately. The scenario is lost, because he can't be taken home. Is this intentional? Is it necessary to find a way to get to him (stoned) while the first fight (with the sylph) is ongoing and protect him when he is unstoned?

5. I think the librarian says something about the only spell book being sold to someone (Angus?). But visiting him gets nothing about spellbooks, only the mage logbook. On the other hand, there is as spell book lying on the library floor (one of the 4 books).
aceman
Translator

Post by aceman »

Also, while playing the map, I get messages in the linux terminal, like this:
no
no
no
no
20100516 17:04:38 error engine: failed to auto-store $unit at (-999,-999)
20100516 17:04:38 error engine: could not de-serialize unit: 'game_error: creating unit with an empty type field'

These appear once in a while. Is it a problem?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Ok, 0.5.9 released on the 1.8 add-on server.

Code: Select all

Version 0.5.9

- Fixed a brother sometimes talking to himself or some line not being spoken
      if a brother is dead or otherwise missing.
    - Randomized the location of the swamp chest.
    - Changed the orcish ambush to work based on randomly scattered ambushers
      instead of moveto events.
    - Fixed a bug which allowed several guardian-like units to move.
    - Fixed a bug which allowed Pocko to be killed before talking to him.
    - Made Bill remain neutral even when leveling up.
    - Fixed Godfrey and Paulos not being able to switch sides.
    - Made the mage produced by the illusion spell be impossible to hit (doesn't
      affect AI behaviour) and increased the spell cost from 5 to 10.
    - Tulips are now sold all at once, instead of having to do it one by one.
    - Fixed a bug allowing a player to bless themself.
    - Fixed the Eklin Amulet.
    - Fixed a bug allowing Ultar to be accidentally killed.
    - Made the flame sword a bit better.
    - Some code optimization and modernization.
    - Updated the map with some new terrains.
    - Fixed several minor bugs.
Of the mentioned bugs, all but the following should now be fixed:
- Dionne the librarian says that the encyclopedia was checked by Maldor himself, yet the entry on monastery makes it out that he is a weirdo cult leader.
- The portrait for the 'hermit' should perhaps change to a white mage when the text suggests he throws off his disguise.
- At the training camp, Sibblos cannot help upgrade magical weapons. This makes him pretty pointless.
Didn't do anything about those yet.
1. The selling of Tulips one by one may be beneficial. Because you are punished (by lowering XP) for it, it may be useful to tactically sell only some of them. The same with money. If money can be stolen from you (e.g. by the thief in Hayshore), it may be useful to leave some tulips and not convert them to money (sell) all. The tulips aren't stolen. I use this feature this way. So it may be useful to preserve it.
I still didn't leave the option in; the thieves should probably be changed a bit if that's a problem otherwise.
3. The lowering of XP as punishment allows XP to get negative. But it seems to work, doesn't cause any problems for the engine.
I'm leaving this as well as it is. The only feasible alternative would be to cap the XP at 0, in which case further negative XP wouldn't really affect you in any way.
4. When I revealed the elvish base in the forest, by using carvings in the dry tree, the dialogue had no options but "we" decided to attack the elves and we broke the brotherhood code (=XP punishment). Is that intentional? There was no choice. Or does this depend on some other choices made elsewhere? Then when the elvish sorcerers are killed and the stoned mage is freed, the other elves kill him immediately. The scenario is lost, because he can't be taken home. Is this intentional? Is it necessary to find a way to get to him (stoned) while the first fight (with the sylph) is ongoing and protect him when he is unstoned?
I removed the breach of brotherhood code since you don't really get a choice, and also made Paulos not be automatically unpetrified and thus left vulnerable when Draylia is killed.
5. I think the librarian says something about the only spell book being sold to someone (Angus?). But visiting him gets nothing about spellbooks, only the mage logbook. On the other hand, there is as spell book lying on the library floor (one of the 4 books).
Didn't do anything yet. I do want to add more miscellaneous spells you can learn sooner or later though, so that'd be one place to do it.
aceman
Translator

Re: Brotherhood of Light - Multiplayer RPG Scenario (0.5.9)

Post by aceman »

So how goes the mage Paulos get unpetrified? Using the spell found in the library? Can it be used on other units except the 4 main party members?
aceman
Translator

Post by aceman »

There is a bug when talking to Stuart in Fokio and he is giving the party some gold for the yeti. This gets printed into the terminal. The <0,0,0>- string is also displayed in the game dialogue.

20100522 22:55:43 error gui/layout: ttext::set_text text 'Gold received:
Nick1: 120 gold
Nick2: 120 gold
Nick3: 120 gold
Nick4: 120 gold
<0,0,0>-
Total sum: 480 gold' has broken markup, set to normal text.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

aceman wrote:There is a bug when talking to Stuart in Fokio and he is giving the party some gold for the yeti. This gets printed into the terminal. The <0,0,0>- string is also displayed in the game dialogue.

20100522 22:55:43 error gui/layout: ttext::set_text text 'Gold received:
Nick1: 120 gold
Nick2: 120 gold
Nick3: 120 gold
Nick4: 120 gold
<0,0,0>-
Total sum: 480 gold' has broken markup, set to normal text.
Still using 0.5.8, I presume? That's fixed in 0.5.9.
aceman
Translator

Post by aceman »

The gryphon spell is working fine, in 0.5.8. I have tested it now. Sorry for misleading you.

How did you fix the report from Bob "- The tavern place in Hayshore run by Yoll has Argo Armour for sale." ? Have you moved the armour to the armory shop so that there are 2 pieces available? Or you did simply remove it, so that there is only 1 available in the whole map?