Wesnoth 1.8.1

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.8.1

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.8.1 is out!
This is a bugfix release for the 1.8.x series and it is compatible with the other 1.8.x versions.

Most changes in this release do affect people playing Wesnoth in multiplayer. The most important change is probably the reintroduction of the old multiplayer lobby as it is known from the 1.6.x days. Though it is not identical to the one from 1.6.x since the option to apply filters was added. For the moment both, the old and the new lobby are available. You can switch between the two by simply changing the preference entry. By default the old lobby is active. The other important change is that the main cause for the well known "Missing WML Child" is fixed. Due to this fix you should no longer get this error in multiplayer matches. Of course some crashes in the new lobby were fixed, too.

Of course the changes are not only related to multiplayer. Another important change is the removal of the singleplayer statistics upload function (remember the small enveloper in the main screen?). Since it was unused and even broken on our server side we decided to remove this feature from the 1.8.x series. In 1.9.x we might keep it but we are currently working on getting it into a more usable state and we are not sure yet, if it will stay active.

If you are publishing add-ons either using the game itself or the addon_manager you should upgrade to this version since some security issues were fixed since 1.8.0. Beside this several issues in campaigns were fixed, some graphics improved and many translations updated.

Of course there is also the full changelog listing (almost) all the changes since 1.8. A changelog with changes that might be visible to most users (and only includes these) is the players changelog.

Downloads
Sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... 2/download (274.9 MB) md5sum
Here is the xDelta for the sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... a/download (1.8.0 to 1.8.1, 3.7 MB)
Check http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for info on using xdelta.

The Windows package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The MacOSX package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

Many of the Linux packages have already been created. All known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them work you get on the Linux binaries site for the Linux binaries. Download links for the other supported systems will be listed at the downloads page once the binaries are available.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ - you should first try to get files through SourceForge to help us save bandwidth. Please get the files from sourceforge.net if possible.

The multiplayer server for 1.8.x is already up and running. This server can be used to play with 1.7.14, 1.7.15 and all 1.8.x versions. Older versions are no longer supported. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

A new add-on server was started when 1.7.8-beta1 was released. All content uploaded to this new server should be compatible with the following 1.7.x beta releases, release candidates for 1.8, as well as the final 1.8.x series. If you encounter any problems with content from the add-on server not working as expected, please notify the content's author, most of them should be here in the forums.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to post bugs first. Instructions for bug reporting can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs.

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don't do any good, so better not ask them...
Bugreports in the forums tend to get forgotten. You will get better results by following the guidelines and report them in the bugtracker.
hiro hito

Re: Wesnoth 1.8.1

Post by hiro hito »

The link for MacOSX package from the main page is not the good one, it is the old link and it's broken in the middle of the download.

The link from the download page is good.
"Of course His Majesty is a pacifist. When I told him that to initiate war was a mistake, he agreed.Thus, gradually, he began to lead toward war."-Emperor Shòwa (Enlightened Peace)'s chief cabinet secretary
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

hiro hito wrote:The link for MacOSX package from the main page is not the good one, it is the old link and it's broken in the middle of the download.

The link from the download page is good.
Fixed it. Thanks for the hint.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

I really appreciate the fact that the old lobby was added back.

It's simpler and looks better than the new one. Plus the new for some reason doesn't seem to work for me, it lags a lot and the games list auto scrolls up all the time.

Thanks.
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

Ummm... I like the new lobby, will I get the sync errors if I use 1.8.0?
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

All 1.8 versions should be compatible. But 1.8.1 still contains the new lobby as an option and several bugs were fixed in it.
booner

Post by booner »

Tried the install from the src directory and received the following error;

CMake Warning (dev) in CMakeLists.txt:
No cmake_minimum_required command is present. A line of code such as

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.6)

should be added at the top of the file. The version specified may be lower
if you wish to support older CMake versions for this project. For more
information run "cmake --help-policy CMP0000".
This warning is for project developers. Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.

-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/booner/Download/wesnoth-1.8.1/src

Tried adding cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.6) as the first line of CMakeLists.txt and the make just died in the vine. i.e.:

[booner@localhost src]$ make
[booner@localhost src]$

Next step went as follows:

booner@localhost src]$ make install
make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.

Further details:

booner@localhost src]$ cmake -version
cmake version 2.6-patch 4

[booner@localhost src]$ make -version
GNU Make 3.81
Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i386-redhat-linux-gnu

Any insights would be welcome.
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Pretty sure you should be running those commands from the wesnoth root, not from inside src.
adm

Post by adm »

Correct. Just enter cd /home/booner/Download/wesnoth-1.8.1 and try again.

See http://wiki.wesnoth.org/CompilingWesnoth
booner

Post by booner »

That was it. Reading To build wesnoth in the source directory in the INSTALL file seemed to put my intuitive thinking on hold. Thanks for setting me straight. Things seem to be compiling now properly.
Theron

Post by Theron »

The announcement of Wesnoth 1.8.1. on the home page says:
Please keep in mind that it is a development release which might include quite many bugs.
"development release" looks like a leftover from 1.7.x.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Theron wrote:The announcement of Wesnoth 1.8.1. on the home page says:
Please keep in mind that it is a development release which might include quite many bugs.
"development release" looks like a leftover from 1.7.x.
Fixed.
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

thx AI.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
boru

Post by boru »

ivanovic wrote:Of course the changes are not only related to multiplayer. Another important change is the removal of the singleplayer statistics upload function (remember the small enveloper in the main screen?). Since it was unused and even broken on our server side we decided to remove this feature from the 1.8.x series. In 1.9.x we might keep it but we are currently working on getting it into a more usable state and we are not sure yet, if it will stay active.
There is still a help screen referring to the "Help Wesnoth" button.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.