New Website Idea

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Taras-

New Website Idea

Post by Taras- »

I am a big fun of Wesnoth, but I find this website well to boring to browse. I was thinking maybe we should rebuild and redesign it? Change the appearance and layout, reorganize the structure, make more thing available, for example art wallpapers, live chat room, and our own YouTube embedded videos, so that user doesn't have to go to other web blogs to view them. Just put more live into place you know? I am programmer my self, well more like web developer, I have played this game for about 2 years and never contributed to anything, I was wondering if other developers would like to co-work together and create a better web place for this game ? What do you think guys ?
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: New Website Idea

Post by Iris »

Taras- wrote:live chat room
IRC is not enough?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Taras-

Post by Taras- »

I am not talking about IRC, and besides, end users would not now how to use it a first, or would not want to install it in the first place, but anyways chat room was not on my primary list.
booner

Post by booner »

My guess is that the site is lean and mean in order to conserve bandwidth resources. There have been many comments asking to download the Wesnoth Package from Soureforge.net in order to save on system resources; so my guess is that your suggestion (although a generous offer) would draw resources away from the main purpose of the server(s)... game play.

Hopefully someone more in the know will let you know if that is the case or not.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

I think the forums are a great way to get in touch with the developers and for the community to share ideas.

Also there is a wiki, though it isn't used as much as a CMS as it is more for just documentation.

I believe there is a Wesnoth page on ning, and I haven't checked, but we might have a presence on Facebook. I wouldn't mind if a forum moderator or developer managed a Twitter account; that could be pretty effective and popular.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

There are methods of inviting a user to IRC without getting them to install anything.

Refer to the lower right area of: http://wz2100.net/ - it offers a simple way to join IRC.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I personally like simple websites like this, and rather dislike the "lively" kind of websites you describe. :|
Taras-

Post by Taras- »

Well it was just a thought anyway, worth a try. You never know till you ask is in it.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Taras- wrote:Well it was just a thought anyway, worth a try. You never know till you ask is in it.
This is true, and often bringing up one idea can spark other ideas, too :)

Welcome to the forums, by the way!
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer