Intro and event music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fabi
Inactive Developer

Intro and event music

Post by fabi »

I have spoken about the issue before but the thread got lost and went away from my point anyway, so I try again now.

It's more and more complicate to find a fitting music for the story part intros.
In earlier days most Wesnoth music was short like "Elf Land" or "Transience".
But those short music files get more and more replaced with better and longer pieces.

Since story screens are read in a short period of time, most of the new songs don't come
to the point before the player has left the story screen already.

Same problem with music bound to events.

I have replaced the short Notherners lately and "Elf Land" is going to be replaced soon.
Can we have new fitting music for the story screens please?
PPH

Re: Intro and event music

Post by PPH »

I will try to make some short pieces, then.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

In my opinion, there is one track that I personally find very adequate to this purpose. It's Doug Kaufman's Wesnoth Score, available here. It's a short track (only 1'14"), very good especially for story screens.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
TreizeCouleurs
Music Contributor

Post by TreizeCouleurs »

I'm more than happy to help, and I've got some free time that will be coming up in the next couple of weeks with holidays and all that.

It would help if someone could let me know what kind of sound/mood/theme you're needing tracks for. Super-generic music is hard to come up with, so to make it a little easier just some handy hints regarding what kind of tone you're looking for ... i.e post war relief or pre-war tension building or elven paradise etc ...

And im right in thinking about 1-2 minutes per story track (no long extended intros blah blah, just jumps right into it)?

Cheers
PPH

Post by PPH »

Some time ago, when West wasn't much around here because he was about to become a father, I posted a short piece, about 1:23 long. I think it would be suitable for an intro. Tyler asked me to keep working on it to see what I could do with it. I did, but I never finished the new, longer version. However, I think the original, short version might be useful, since there's a lack of short pieces. This is the thread:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 43#p375343
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

TreizeCouleurs wrote:I'm more than happy to help, and I've got some free time that will be coming up in the next couple of weeks with holidays and all that.

It would help if someone could let me know what kind of sound/mood/theme you're needing tracks for. Super-generic music is hard to come up with, so to make it a little easier just some handy hints regarding what kind of tone you're looking for ... i.e post war relief or pre-war tension building or elven paradise etc ...

And im right in thinking about 1-2 minutes per story track (no long extended intros blah blah, just jumps right into it)?

Cheers
1-2 minutes per story track should be okay, if longer that wouldn't hurt.
The important thing is that the music needs to present the intended mood of the composition immediately.
So no intro or a very short one that is already in the same line as the rest of the song.

post war, pre-war tension and elven paradise are good examples of intro music that can be used at many scenarios.
I also want to suggest "time to rest", "challenge", "surprise", "betrayal", "blow of fate", "hunted or "traced", "fortune", "no chance" or "desperate situation" as generic intro/event songs.