I'm impressed

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

cool evil

I'm impressed

Post by cool evil »

I don't know what changes occurred internally, but the load times between 1.6 and 1.8 has been night and day for me. Whereas loading a save file would usually take 30 seconds back then, now it's taking only 5 seconds on average.

Regarding bugs, I've yet to encounter any through in playing Delfador's Memoir. Not sure about multiplayer but overall this is the most impressive package I'd say to brace the community since 1.0. Many thanks to the devs and keep up the good work!
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
LotusEliseGeek

Re: I'm impressed

Post by LotusEliseGeek »

I've noticed that too! In 1.6, the loading would even stall for me (freezing and quitting the game).
Now I don't even SEE the loading screen! The longest I have seen is about 2-3 seconds!

I love 1.8. :D
IPS

Post by IPS »

I love 1.8 too.

In the 1.6 I couldnt see a replay because the darn frezzing of the cpu, I needed to quit to avoid lag. But now in 1.8 I can see comfortably the replays of everyone :D
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
CheeseLord

Post by CheeseLord »

I've gotta thank whoever streamlined the RAM. Wesnoth now works to an acceptable standard on a 256MB PC :D
Lord of Cheese.....especially Parmesan!!!
None shall stand against the Dwarfs in their homeland

Top 3 quotes by a developer:

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"
Max

Post by Max »

any chance you just don't have that many add-ons (yet)?
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

Max2008 wrote:any chance you just don't have that many add-ons (yet)?
Somehow I doubt that add-ons would play a significant role here. Sure, loading up the main menu might have taken a few seconds longer, but I imagine there would be no difference in the load times of mainline scenarios given that they use the default era and maps that is standard on all distributions.

If it's any confirmation, the only add-on I had on 1.6 was Colosseum, a MP survival scenario that is fairly small in size.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

its definately faster.
and here i mean the speed at which the wml is excuted

good work :)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
boombox

Post by boombox »

cool evil wrote:
Max2008 wrote:any chance you just don't have that many add-ons (yet)?
Somehow I doubt that add-ons would play a significant role here. Sure, loading up the main menu might have taken a few seconds longer, but I imagine there would be no difference in the load times of mainline scenarios given that they use the default era and maps that is standard on all distributions.

If it's any confirmation, the only add-on I had on 1.6 was Colosseum, a MP survival scenario that is fairly small in size.
I never used to see loading screening on 1.8 either, it ran so smoothly.. but then I downloaded a lot of add-ons and now it's running a lot slower. Almost like 1.6 again.
Is anyone else experiencing this because it does seem weird that add-ons will effect the performance of the game. :?
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

If you have a lot of eras, it takes longer to load. It's loading units that takes time, as I understand it. But it loads only once, at the first connection to MP server. If you want, you can place the eras you don't plan on using in a sub folder, so the game will ignore them. If you find you suddenly need one, quit game, place the folder back in the add-ons folder, and restart.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Elvish_Conquerer

Post by Elvish_Conquerer »

Yes, I too adore the new loading speed. I actually fell off my chair the first time I saw it.
Thank you to all the developers, forum members and anonymous alike.

Elvish Conquerer,
"Not only that! He made the AI so smart that, it changes the RNG without affecting statistical analysis! So even if you calculate the probability of getting what you got, it seems reasonable, even though it isn't. We've uncovered a massive conspiracy!"
Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel »

I had that issue too in 1.6 - it was actually slower than 1.4 for me - and 1.8 saved me! Thanks! :D
You are a Necromancer - Intelligent and powerful, yet reclusive and misunderstood, you dabble in dark arts that everyone else can only dream of.
Erlend

Post by Erlend »

I see that 1.8 is alot faster than 1.6. But I still havent changed to 1.8. There r only 2 reasons for that. Both are very stupid :)

1. I find the lobby in 1.6 a bit more easy to the eye.
2. 1.8 dont got rumble :3 (if anyone could tell me how to get it in 1.8, I would start playing it with no hessitation xD)

Thank me for my pointless reply ;)
Max

Post by Max »

Erlend wrote:1. I find the lobby in 1.6 a bit more easy to the eye.

Code: Select all

Version 1.8.1:
 * User interface:
   * Added a preference for switching between the old and new lobby in the
     preferences dialog in the "Multiplayer" tab. Defaults to the old lobby.
deadman

Post by deadman »

Max2008 wrote:
Erlend wrote:1. I find the lobby in 1.6 a bit more easy to the eye.

Code: Select all

Version 1.8.1:
 * User interface:
   * Added a preference for switching between the old and new lobby in the
     preferences dialog in the "Multiplayer" tab. Defaults to the old lobby.
wow!
I didn't noticed this till now...
Thnx a lot Max :D