The Point of Goblins?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

boru

Re: Goblin Spearmen - what good are they?

Post by boru »

“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Hey, I was gonna do that.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel »

Perhaps watching this review might show you how to use an army of goblins.

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29757
You are a Necromancer - Intelligent and powerful, yet reclusive and misunderstood, you dabble in dark arts that everyone else can only dream of.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

That's a game against the AI, and therefore not really good for reference.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Or see these pics. It was even against undead!

Yes. 80+ goblins. They. Rock. Seriously.

To see them rock even more, download the campaign link in my signature!
del_diablo

Post by del_diablo »

Zombies advantage is that they are cheap and can spawn more of them.
Goblins are insanely powerful for their price, which means if you can get several of them a round you won.
Elvish_Conquerer

Post by Elvish_Conquerer »

Having O upkeep and 7-3 damage makes them a strong unit. Also, it can level into a leadership unit to help other goblins. And 7-3 is a pretty devastating attack compared with their price + no upkeep. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe a spearmen also does 7-3 melee pierce damage as well. The only thing is that they have low health, which is why some people disregard their talents. They are also ESPECIALLY good at killing those really annoying high level unit. For instance, a royal guard has been really hassling your lines and you can only attack him one unit at a time. You send in a goblin, he gives fourteen damage, but also dies, but now you have an opening for your next goblin..... And because goblins are so cheap to spam they excel for that type of job. They're also useful for killing a really annoying unit when he's in dangerous territory.
Their are many threads about the usefulness of goblins, and if you do a search, I'm sure you'll find some.

Hope this helps,

Elvish Conquerer
"Not only that! He made the AI so smart that, it changes the RNG without affecting statistical analysis! So even if you calculate the probability of getting what you got, it seems reasonable, even though it isn't. We've uncovered a massive conspiracy!"
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

To be precise, Gobos have a 6-3 melee pierce, and with traits like weak they become like 5-3.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

nedh88 wrote:can anyone tell me when a goblin spearman is useful?

I am at a loss
Since this discussion overlaps substantially with Hulavata's earlier thread, I'm going to merge the two together.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Caphriel wrote:That's a game against the AI, and therefore not really good for reference.

That's true I guess. However, you can still learn some things from it. I actually used strategy where it wasn't needed, and I stressed the importance of Rousers.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra