iPad version support/feedback thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

iPad version support/feedback thread

Post by KylePoole »

You may have heard of a new device coming out from Apple called the iPad. This "revolutionary and magical" device is a 1024x768 touch screen tablet running iPhone OS. And they're going to sell a bazillion units. And Wesnoth will be ready for it! The cost will be only $0.99, with proceeds split between myself and the Wesnoth project.

I think playing on the iPad will be a great experience, perhaps even better than on the desktop. Tapping to select units just feels so much more natural!

Here is a "picture-in-picture" comparison of the iPad and iPhone

Last edited by Iris on August 21st, 2010, 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: stickified
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wesnoth for iPad

Post by Sangel »

Looks great! But poor Jedd needs to be more optimistic.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Why only .99 for the iPad version and 5 or 6 dollars for the iPhone version? Seems kinda backwards to me.
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Zerovirus wrote:Why only .99 for the iPad version and 5 or 6 dollars for the iPhone version? Seems kinda backwards to me.
5 or 6 quid? Last I checked it was £2.99...
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

He said dollars. As in American currency, which probably is fairly close to the British amount mentioned above.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Zerovirus wrote:Why only .99 for the iPad version and 5 or 6 dollars for the iPhone version? Seems kinda backwards to me.
Ipod took more work than Ipad? Dunno.
catwhowalksbyhimself

I'm assuming only minor changes were needed to port the code over, since the ipad uses the same OS.

Even so, it does seem very strange for them to have two separate prices. My opinion would be to set the Ipad price to be the same.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Well, I'm assuming it's because not only is it far simpler to port the code over, it needs none of the UI changes the iPhone port requires.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

This is GREAT news!

Has this been submitted for release on the first day of the iPad?

Also, will this be a separate application from the main wesnoth (iPhone/iPod) version?
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

The most amount of work for the iPad version was improving the framerate enough to display 4x the amount of terrain. The good news is that the iPhone version will also greatly benefit from these optimizations.

The game will be submitted shortly after the iPad launch, as I feel it is important to test on an actual device first...

They will be separate apps because of the higher resolution images in the iPad version would mean a universal app would be far too bloated. A way to sync your saved games (and with desktop wesnoth!) will be implemented in a future update.

The iPhone version is now also $0.99
catwhowalksbyhimself

I'm surprised you're dropping the price of the Iphone version due to all the hard work you put into it, but that's your decision. The main reason why I suggested raising the Ipad price is that I was afraid complaints about the price difference might force you to lower the other version to, but if you're choosing to do so anyways, it's a moot point.

Congratulations for your latest success in porting Wesnoth to new platforms.
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Awesome!

I got the chance to use an iPad at the Apple Store today, and I was already thinking that it would simply be amazing to play Wesnoth on.
psifertex

Post by psifertex »

Any updates on this? I love wesnoth, but on my iPhone 3g it's just a bit too laggy. Seems like the faster iPad would be amazing for it, and a great app to show off to friends. Would love to hear how things are going, Kyle (incidentally, I'm a big fan of yours from back in the Palm days -- I still have the dragon-and-swordsman logo CD that included all your greatest hits somewhere).
Mythbuster

Post by Mythbuster »

It is in review status at Apple right now ... so it should come out this week ...
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

Battle for Wesnoth HD is out now for iPad!

:eng: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battle-f ... 63335?mt=8