Host power abuse in isars cross

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

IPS

Re: Host power abuse in isars cross

Post by IPS »

kill wrote:
IPS wrote:Kill, I think you are right

Chains had put his leader in swamp square to poison an elvish fighter, after the combat, 36 hp is reduced to only 22. The Elvish Fighter in that village was strong 6-4 and because the orichs slayer blade weakness the elvish fighter does 8-4 (se he needed of only 3 hits to kill)

3 hit of 4 in 40% def is really a big risk, He had more than a 21% to die (not incluiding the 4th hit). So he had a good percent to die.

The big error DIDNT come of the purple (kill), The error what had did this defeat posible is this risk from red in the swamp (chains).

Kill, I think you had lost because a risk of the red, that risk did changed the game.

About turn 21 (the most important):
You could kill the blue in the turn 21 .... wose has 20% def in plains... you needed 3 hits to kill it, you had exactly a 51,2% to kill him with your assasin. And Night time did cover you :/

If your Slayer hits only 2 times, the red troll RockBolder could kill it 1 fist. With a awesome percent to kill the blues leader.

About turn 22

You with your slayer could atacked his leader in village with your poisonous darts, this can't kill the blue, but this move scares a lot to your enemy and he should need to foward to save his leader againist the assasin. That was another great move lost...

About turn 23
You could reach the castle and poison his leader with the poisonous darts, the same as turn 22 this make many terror in your opponent making him moving worst.

About Turn 25
You should atacked the leader in woods and your alie kill it with his naga.

Well... atleast you had won, but you could won earlie and you shouldnt be kicked, maybe the others had saw your misstakes in these turns, but Chain did a awesome horror in that turn.
Finally somone neutrally judged the game, btw i was kicked at around turn 15, so everything you have pointed out are yet more blunders of chains :)

Hmmmm... if you were kicked in aprox the turn 15, the others errors came of Chains.

For me, you played a lot better than Chains, and "he kicked you because you had played just bad" (He should kicked himself first :annoyed: )

Well, Kill if you dont want to find more players like him, try others maps. In Isar Cross are weird the good players and the ones who tell them are the great thing simply had played with only bad players.

The people thinks "Im a Pro" only because them wins like the 90% of the games in Isar cross... But, if you test them in other map, them maybe can have a 20% to win because low played map or for more experienced players.

Isar Cross isnt the best map, you have Hammlets (2p and 4p versions), Clash, Path of Daggers, Morturi (3p and 4p versions). Here you can find better players and more good persons. Sure, you can try with user maps too (if you find them beautiful and good maked)

The true Pro knows In all the games haves an unknown percent to find a better player than him, The true pros arent hostile with n00bs and and them kill in many times the others players with a lot of adventage :D (like .... 3 or 4 lost and 12 or 13 kills or more higher the difference)

Well, I have almost 3 years playing this game, I win aprox the 78% of the games I dont need of a map to win, I can play almost everywhere so I think Im so near to be a Pro :)
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
kill

Post by kill »

Euthanatos93 wrote:I find this situation to be quite akin to something I occasionally experience in in Alien Arena's CTF games. Some jack- grabs the flag and finds a hiding spot and purposely sabotage's their own side. It's basically trolling. In such situations the CoC line discussed certainly doesn't apply. Now, I'd also throw out there that the OP might have just been trying to save face (by not realising that doing this essentially just makes himself look like a jack-) by claiming to have intentially bombed a game in which he really just sucked because he's a noob. Either way CoC line doesn't apply because for all intents and purposes the host cannot be obliged to discriminate when such admission are made.

The OP does have a right to protest abusive language, however.

Did you watch the replay?? :P

Edit: Or read the posts in this thread??
Last edited by kill on April 17th, 2010, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

This just goes to prove that it's best to go up against people you know in mp. I rarely play mp, but when I do I try to play with people I know from the forums; people who I know won't quit when they're losing, start spamming abuse, or other infractions. If you play with someone you don't know, you run the risk of encountering an unpleasant character who just wants to give everyone a hard time for his/her own amusement.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Well going 100% in that direction means that you won't meet new people. There are a lot of fine MP players that simply have no interest in the forums. But I generally take the same attitude. Sometimes I'll open a match with one more slot than available friends and give someone new a chance. One person at a time. :)
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Gambit wrote:Well going 100% in that direction means that you won't meet new people.
Good point.
Gambit wrote:Sometimes I'll open a match with one more slot than available friends and give someone new a chance. One person at a time. :)
That's a sensible idea (and sensible ideas are hard to find nowadays). Thanks, Gambit. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
soul_steven

Post by soul_steven »

IPS wrote:
kill wrote:
I dont think this is a fair assesment. In some instances you may be right but anyone who would consider themselves a "pro" player could hold there own on any map.
Vladcara

Post by Vladcara »

Smelleth I a Flamewar
Also,
Icarusvogel wrote:I do not think that everyone should feel obliged to ask "Now, any newbies in here?" in a nicer wording before the beginning of a game. Any new/unexperiened player should be able to play happily, lose happily, learn happily, and gradually start winning happily without having it rubbed in that he is still new. When I entered MP, I do not even remember people writing stuff like "You noob! Go there, there, there!" Only "Good game, lets rmk guys".
Add "Unfortunately, the same is not true these days" to that, and you just summed up the direction the entirety of modern society is taking. It's sad really...(in both senses)
'Wow, Brazil's big!'
George Bush, when shown a map of the world
Euthanatos93

Post by Euthanatos93 »

soul_steven wrote:
IPS wrote: The people thinks "Im a Pro" only because them wins like the 90% of the games in Isar cross... But, if you test them in other map, them maybe can have a 20% to win because low played map or for more experienced players.
I dont think this is a fair assesment. In some instances you may be right but anyone who would consider themselves a "pro" player could hold there own on any map.
His english is admittedly lacking but I believe you are both saying the same thing; that "anyone who would consider themselves a "pro" player could hold there own on any map."

Also, why all the extra quotes?
Evelangos

Post by Evelangos »

Is there really a need for more posts here? I mean, the only possible way to avoid people thinking stuff is to never meet up with such people, I haven't played MP much, because I'm trying to make new units, so none of you will see me as the Drakes (Saurian). Honestly, bringing it here only got people to say: "Yay" or "Nay", because both could be gestured to as at fault. You made risks, he mad risks, some people may this this as a grudge.

I tried to enforce rules in another forum like you did(ish) and an SDk almost quit he was so mad at me, so seriously, this should just stop..... though I can't stop you..... :mrgreen:
To do is to make, and to make is to become, therefore, even the simplest things in life matter, for they all contribute in a major way to existence...
start logoff
exit
Vladcara

Post by Vladcara »

Evelangos wrote:Is there really a need for more posts here? I mean, the only possible way to avoid people thinking stuff is to never meet up with such people, I haven't played MP much, because I'm trying to make new units, so none of you will see me as the Drakes (Saurian). Honestly, bringing it here only got people to say: "Yay" or "Nay", because both could be gestured to as at fault. You made risks, he mad risks, some people may this this as a grudge.

I tried to enforce rules in another forum like you did(ish) and an SDk almost quit he was so mad at me, so seriously, this should just stop..... though I can't stop you..... :mrgreen:
Hear,Hear!
'Wow, Brazil's big!'
George Bush, when shown a map of the world
booner

Post by booner »

Disclaimer: Current ranking 130 of 150 on Ladder with 34% win ratio

Personally n00b seems an even more overused and vague word in Wesnoth than Sustainability's current usage in the real world.

Even at my current state of playing it is not uncommon to experience many of the negative examples expressed in this thread.

Chains has my agreement about a feature which would track the win rates of MP players, in the background, so that game titles could be backed up with software restrictions. It is my belief that there should be no game rules which will not (or cannot) be enforced. Such an addition; which Chains has suggested; would give such a rule some teeth.

My suggestion would be that if such a software control were added that there be no other restrictions allowable to the host. If one wants an elitist game then they should have to except all others which meet that criteria. Otherwise password restrictions can be used by the host to dictate their opponents/allies.

It is my feeling that it would be healthier; for the community as a whole; to allow such competence restrictions rather than making it a personal shunning and the negative in game chatter which follows such,sadly more common, negative experiences these days..
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

In my opinion, even if I don't really care one way or another if such a victory-recording system were implanted, I don't think it would really be a good indicator of skill. What if my score was 80 wins - 2 defeats, but I played the AI 60 times with unfair settings? Or tons of UMC? Or just Isaars Cross? Or anything else, for that matter? I think if quality player is so important to you, you should just play the ladder (well YOU do, but some others, chains for instance, don't, as far as I know).
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
booner

Post by booner »

Dixie wrote:In my opinion, even if I don't really care one way or another if such a victory-recording system were implanted, I don't think it would really be a good indicator of skill. .
Agreed Dixie. However it would put a plug in the elitists' blow hole.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I thank Chains for admitting his mistake, however this personal disagreement between two players does not need to be spotlighted in the Wesnoth User Forum any longer.

For those of you considering proposals for a user ranking system, I direct you to put forward your proposals in the Ideas forum. However, since it is in violation of FPI, you would first need to study for reference all previous discussions on this topic and address them as well, using new arguments that have not previously been rejected.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."