Winning Wesnoth on medium/hard

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kingsley

Winning Wesnoth on medium/hard

Post by Kingsley »

I've manage to beat the first two campaigns on wesnoth 8.3 on easy difficulity without using the save/load cheat method. I played each scenario from begin to end without loading to a previous save for more favorable results. (Well the exception of course is when I'm done playing for the time being) I started to re-play the first scenerio on medium and it was fun for the first few scenarios, but later on its gets too hard. They are too many enemies and too little gold, as I usually finished the scenarios a bit later when playing on medium.

Has any one beat the first campaign of HttT on medium or hard without using the save/load cheat?, and if you did what methods did you used. How did you do it and what units did you use?

I personally use alot of Elvish fighters and upgrade them to captains, which really helps with the level 1 units. I also use shamans, horsemen and mages, but not much else.
silene

Post by silene »

HttT is not impossible to beat in medium and hard difficulty. I don't save/load in medium; but I sometimes do it in hard when I'm a bit unlucky (I can't afford three units in a row all failing to hit a single enemy unit in hard difficulty).

I don't use Elvish Captains. I could even say I hate them in campaign mode. What's the point of units with leadership when all your units are level 3? Since you have a need for them, maybe you are not enough leveling your units. You really should get level 3 units as fast as possible.

The units I'm avoiding are the Lancer, the Great Knight and the Elvish Marshal. I usually try to get Elvish Avenger, Shyde, Mage of Light and Paladin as soon as possible. And I try to get at least one 'level max' unit of each kind (except for the three I avoid), they all have their own usefulness, even the Elvish Outrider!

Once you are packed with a few hard-hitting units and enough healing resources, there shouldn't be any problem. But you need to follow the day-night flux: begin your attack at dawn, and start retreating at dust. At night, use your elves to protect your humans during the retreat. I'm not joking, you really need to retreat.

Hope it helps.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

silene wrote:I don't use Elvish Captains. I could even say I hate them in campaign mode. What's the point of units with leadership when all your units are level 3? Since you have a need for them, maybe you are not enough leveling your units. You really should get level 3 units as fast as possible.
I don't think so... IIRC it takes about as much XP to level into a Champion as it does to level up three Fighters to Heroes, and three Heroes is the more powerful force. Of course, more powerful units will get more XP by accident and level up anyway.

The only exception to this is the Elvish Marshal, which actually helps your low level units. (It helps them level up, even.)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Bablefish

Post by Bablefish »

Right now I am re-playing the senarios on Medium without using the save/load cheat. I will admit that it is much harder, but the same recruiting stragaty I used when I was using the cheat still seems to work without it. I try to make my attack force as well rounded as possible. This means getting at least 2 units leveled up to there max for every unit for every leveling path. 3 units is even better. This way I am ready for any type of attack the computer can throw at me. Unfortinatly this takes a lot of time, gold, and patience. Oh yeah and I agree with not having lancers and elvish captains the other units that you can get instead of these are much better. But personally I like to use grand knights because they can absorb a lot of punishment
scott

Post by scott »

The reason you're having trouble on medium is that easy allowed you to skate by with worse strategy. If you played on hard for a while, your strategy would be so good that medium would be easy. When I stopped saveloading, I learned the value of cannon fodder more. If you play 'RPG style' with all 3rd level units, it sucks when you inevitably lose one and you don't have the pipeline going (and know-how) to fight and win with lower level units alongside the L3 guys. It's one of the many unique things about the game.
P.S. I cannot imagine why in the world you would not want to use Grand Knights. They are one of the strongest units in the game.
Kingsley

Post by Kingsley »

I can understand why someone will choose the grand kinght as well as the paladin, both are good units and to be used in different strageties. And the elvish Champion is much stronger than the Elvish Marshal, although their level 2 counter parts are similar. It seems that you guys tend to have your units leveled up quickly, which is kinda of a problem for me I suppose. Perhaps the fault lies in my stragety.

Can you post some replays of your first few missons?
Fulk d'Anjou

Big groups of Level3 Units!?

Post by Fulk d'Anjou »

I have never ever used the easy level and I play HttT medium level, almost exclusively. I find that the Elvish Captain is the best way to keep level 1 units alive long enough to level them up! These folks with hordes of level 3 units: I am wondering how they got them playing this campaign at medium!

No doubt: fight by day, hide by night!
I never use lancers. I have trouble leveling up shamans and mages and most of my "cheating" is devoted to learning how to do this!

Great thread!
Fulk is King!
Hex is Queen!
Shade

Thi

Post by Shade »

silene wrote: I don't use Elvish Captains. I could even say I hate them in campaign mode. What's the point of units with leadership when all your units are level 3? Since you have a need for them, maybe you are not enough levelling your units. You really should get level 3 units as fast as possible.

The units I'm avoiding are the Lancer, the Great Knight and the Elvish Marshal. I usually try to get Elvish Avenger, Shyde, Mage of Light and Paladin as soon as possible. And I try to get at least one 'level max' unit of each kind (except for the three I avoid), they all have their own usefulness, even the Elvish Outrider!

Once you are packed with a few hard-hitting units and enough healing resources, there shouldn't be any problem. But you need to follow the day-night flux: begin your attack at dawn, and start retreating at dust. At night, use your elves to protect your humans during the retreat. I'm not joking, you really need to retreat.

Hope it helps.
Yes, this is the strategy I would adopt save that I usually try to keep 1/3 3rd level units, 1/3 levelling (eg: lv. 2) units, and 1/3 green units. . . This makes leadership a far more valuable skill for me. But that's just me.
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
silene

Post by silene »

My ratios are more like 2/3 of max level units, and 1/3 of leveling units. The leveling units are never on the front line, they are here only to steal kills and gain experience points; I don't want them to be slaughtered by the enemy. It's why I don't have a strong need for leadership since they only get sure kills.

And I use a lot of healing units. It's the reason why I usually don't lose more than three units on a scenario like Valley of Death, even in hard difficulty and without cheating. By lining my units through the south-west pass and backing them up with healers (and Paladins back themselves up, it's why I prefer them to Grand Knights), I can keep level 3 units alive and I get to level up lower units. The fact there is only one village in this place is not a showstopper at all.

The previous strategy doesn't apply to running scenarios like Ford of Abez and Dwarven Doors. I only recruit level 1 cannon fodder and I don't recall any of my stronger units. I don't try to protect them, they are here only to slow down the enemy. If some of them survive, great, they will be recalled and leveled up in a later scenario; but it's not my primary objective.
Shade

The Power of Healing

Post by Shade »

The power of healing should never be underestimated. Your healers are you best friends in a campaign. They are often the difference between having to pull a unit 'way' out of a fight, or a unit dieing. . .
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Kingsley

Post by Kingsley »

These folks with hordes of level 3 units: I am wondering how they got them playing this campaign at medium!
I'm also wondering how they do it, how precisely do you manage to level up your units so fast, an so many at the same time. Its hard for me to get level 3 units within the first 3 scenarios, with the exception of course being random chance.
The reason you're having trouble on medium is that easy allowed you to skate by with worse strategy. If you played on hard for a while, your strategy would be so good that medium would be easy.
Yea I'm doing that now, hopefully it'll help my stragety.
Whats Cannon Fodder?

Anyone has any good replays of the first few missions yet?
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Kingsley wrote:Whats Cannon Fodder?
disposable units
silene

Level 3 units

Post by silene »

I'm also wondering how they do it, how precisely do you manage to level up your units so fast, an so many at the same time. Its hard for me to get level 3 units within the first 3 scenarios
Don't misunderstand me. I never said you should have tens of lvl3 units at the end of Isle of Anduin. I'm not even sure it is possible. When I was saying "fast", it was with respect to the length of this campaign. A more reasonnable objective is to have a handful of lvl2 units ready to level up by the time of the fourth scenario.

You will however see that it is a lot easier to level up your units in hard difficulty. Indeed you usually don't have more units than in easy difficulty, but there are a lot more friends eager to give you their experience and rushing toward you to help you level up...
Kingsley

Post by Kingsley »

Alright I'm replaying the game on medium since hard is a bit too hard. Here's the first two scenarios, tell me what you think.
Kingsley

Post by Kingsley »

Heres the second scenario.