Gobowars is back! 2p MP campaign for Wesnoth 1.10.x

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Gobowars is back! 2p MP campaign for Wesnoth 1.10.x

Post by jb »

UPDATED July 16, 2012
Gobowars is back!

Version 2.1 is now on the 1.10.x add-on server.

Be sure to read How to safely reload mp campains before hosting.

Gobowars is a seven scenario battle-focused MP campaign. It features fun maps and interesting combat situations. It plays like a standard Wesnoth campaign. No upgrades, no items...but some loyal heroes. The story is tongue in cheek and not meant to be taken seriously. The carnage, however, is quite real.

As a side bonus, maps 5,6,and 7 all have an allied AI side. By default this AI side is controlled by the computer. However, this side is designed with observers in mind. Any observer can take over a small allied side, or you can simply play with it droided. It will have only the smallest effect on balance, but allows an additional player to join the fun if desired.

I've uploaded a 2p MP campaign to the 1.8 add on server called Gobowars.

There are currently 5 of 6 maps working. The final map is still under construction, but I felt there was enough ready to publish it now. Besides, there are not very many MP campaigns currently available. Balance is probably a bit off, too easy at first guess.

The story is very light, and tongue in cheek. Dialogue tends to weigh down MP games at any rate. This campaign is a battle campaign, with unique battle situations.

Some interesting twists:

-Each scenario is self contained. There is no carryover gold. Only recalls carryover.
-Maps 1 & 4 do not let you recruit. You are given a starting squad and must rely on your leaders.
-Map 5 gives you an AI ally that any observer can control, if desired.

I'd like to give a word of thanks to MrEpic, who helped with a critical WML problem.

Of course feedback is welcomed.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Bob_The_Mighty

Re: 2p MP campaign Gobowars

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Nice one, jb. This looks fun - and different. I tried the first scenario a few times and found the red side rather difficult (but I was pretty tired and my playing was probably wonky). Will report when I get further.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
tsr

Post by tsr »

I've found some bugs in the uploaded version:
- the reference to the first scenario in _main.cfg lacks a "1" before the ".cfg"
- actually you can get rid of the reference to the first scenario (that is outside the #IFDEF MULTIPLAYER) if you fix the following bug.
- the path in _main.cfg to get the rest of the scenarios is incorrect. Should be "~add-ons/Gobowars/Scenarios/" and not "~add-ons/Gobowars/scenarios/"
- at least in the first scenario you need to add "persistent=yes" in the side definitions of the players for xp and recalls to carry over.

/tsr - might update with comments
governor

Post by governor »

Just tried this gem. Unfortunately on scenario 3 none of my recalls showed up - save for the merry band of rejects from the first scenario. This a bug?
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Hey Governor,

I've not seen that bug yet at all. This mp campaign has been rock solid as far as bugs.

Do you have a save? Preferably from map 2 that could recreate the loading process?
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
governor

Post by governor »

Here you are, these were made using the 1.8 old_lobby executable. Also, I used the local option form the mp list to host the game, and I leveled the sergeant to get the last kill.
Attachments
Gobowars3-Auto-Save1.gz
Scen 3 turn 1
(20.78 KiB) Downloaded 697 times
Gobowars2-Auto-Save32.gz
Scen 2, just before the end
(72.1 KiB) Downloaded 732 times
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Well Gov, I'm puzzled. Both your saves worked fine for me. Here is my version of your map 3 save if you want to continue.

Sadly, your sergeant missed, the xp went to your Red Mage. :P

As a side note, Map 6 (the final map) is more than half done, and should be uploaded soon.
Attachments
Gobowars3_Turn_1_Gov.gz
(29.07 KiB) Downloaded 710 times
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
governor

Post by governor »

jb wrote:Well Gov, I'm puzzled. Both your saves worked fine for me. Here is my version of your map 3 save if you want to continue.

As a side note, Map 6 (the final map) is more than half done, and should be uploaded soon.
Thx jb. Not sure what is going on, maybe it an issue with Vista? Your save works fine for me and is larger. For some reason my client isn't saving recall lists.

I am currently testing this out with LoW MP.
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

At the risk of sounding dumb, is this coop or adversarial? I'm assuming coop but just wanted to double-check.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Well if the case of a directory or file name is wrong, it's going to work on some machines but not others.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

At the risk of sounding dumb, is this coop or adversarial? I'm assuming coop but just wanted to double-check.
It's a 2 player co-op. There is even a 3rd side available for map 5, that can be controlled by any observer if desired.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

UPDATE: Map 6 is complete. This is the final scenario in Gobowars.

This map is massive in size and scale, it may be longer than the previous 5 maps combined.

Of course, the silly humor continues. This is a battle scenario to wrap up a battle campaign.

Additionally, the previous 5 maps have been balance tweaked as well.

I rate the difficulty of this campaign somewhere between moderate to expert.

Enjoy.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
shisui

Post by shisui »

v. 1.8.0 on Mac Pro (1997) OS X 10.6.3 (1.1).

(1) in both scenarios 1 & 2, we both promoted our leaders only to have them revert to level 1 with no experience at the next scenario.
(2) No units were recallable in Scenario 2 or 3.

--> the campaign was abandoned at the start of Scenario 3.
Scenario files appended.
Attachments
Gobowars3.gz
(6.94 KiB) Downloaded 721 times
Gobowars2.gz
(6.28 KiB) Downloaded 764 times
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

v. 1.8.0 on Mac Pro (1997) OS X 10.6.3 (1.1).

(1) in both scenarios 1 & 2, we both promoted our leaders only to have them revert to level 1 with no experience at the next scenario.
(2) No units were recallable in Scenario 2 or 3.

--> the campaign was abandoned at the start of Scenario 3.
Scenario files appended.
I'm sorry to hear that. I can't seem to reload your saves (invalid ID). Though I suspect you are using the start-of-scenario save. There is a known bug with these start-of-scenario saves in MP campaigns. It is advised that you manually save before player one moves to have a more reliable save.

As for your leaders reverting, I've not heard of that problem before. Though I suspect it's the same problem I discovered in your saves (Invalid ID) because the only units with ID's are indeed the leaders.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
shisui

Post by shisui »

> I'm sorry to hear that. I can't seem to reload your saves (invalid ID). Though I suspect you are using the start-of-scenario save.

Yes. These are the "start of scenario" saves.

> There is a known bug with these start-of-scenario saves in MP campaigns. It is advised that you manually save before player one moves to have a more reliable save.

However, the "damage" has already been done prior to the 1st player's first action --
• both leaders have already reverted to level 1 with no accumulated experience &
• both leaders have already no recall list.

> As for your leaders reverting, I've not heard of that problem before. Though I suspect it's the same problem I discovered in your saves (Invalid ID) because the only units with ID's are indeed the leaders.

I had hoped that the save files would be more helpful than they have been.
I have no familliarity with WML.
When I open the files, it just looks like a lot of loose format text.

PS: We did like the design of 1st two scenarios (although the story line feels a bit forced.)
But, it is also very frustrating to loose all accumulated training.

PPS: Sorry: "Mac Pro (1997)" --> meant "Mac Pro (2006)".
This is the first generation of 4core, 64bit Mac towers.