The Wesnoth Project in the beginning

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

The Wesnoth Project in the beginning

Post by Iris »

I just finished collecting and processing information from various sources to further understand Wesnoth's history. Not the history of Irdya (the world of Wesnoth's setting), but the history of this awesome community built around an underrated feature and a bunch of non-paid volunteers who continue to strive to produce a high-quality game despite what some people claim. I couldn't find any information about Wesnoth's earliest incarnations on the web, so what I have here is 100% original research. Don't ask me to cite my sources. :P

Since I'm crazy and I don't like the forum's design limitations, I decided to go ahead and post in my blog...
The research process was exciting...but it was also exhausting, so I might have missed stuff or let a broken link slip past my HTML radar.

My thanks go to Dave, who provided me with extra information that I've not merged into the article yet — it's in an interview format, and I might publish it later since I have his permission to do that. Also thanks to Git and the git-svn interface, which allowed me to browse the combined CVS-SVN history comfortably from my bed.

Update: now (2010-10-16) the second installment of this series is available as well:
Update: the third installment is now out today on 2010-10-25:
Update: fourth installment out, now going backwards in time:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The Wesnoth Project in the beginning

Post by artisticdude »

Wow, that's really interesting. I've always kinda wondered what the first version of BfW looked like. :mrgreen: It's amazing how far this project has come in nearly seven years (exactly seven years in two months). Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Great stuff. Thanks for the reporting.
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

I made Mac and Windows builds of Wesnoth 0.1 a while ago, by the way. If anyone's interested:
Mac: http://www.happyspork.com/files/Wesnoth_0.1.dmg
Windows: http://www.happyspork.com/files/wesnoth-0.1.zip
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I always wanted to play the first version, but I knew what it looked like. (From the screenshots page) I never knew the actual 0.1 was this different than the 1.0 version though. I wonder if it's still available for download on the site?
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I just downloaded and played Wesnoth 0.1 (thanks, penguin). It was a rather weird experience, but it was fun to play the game in its infancy. BTW, to end your turn you have to right-click and choose the option from the menu (it took me a moment to figure that out).

Those graphics, though... ugg. *shudders* :P
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Do you have a link?
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Here. :P

(Note: the Windows version works well on WINE as far as I know. Native Linux builds may not always work correctly — in fact, this is why I used a crosscompiled build myself.)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

Wow, to see how humble the origins of this game are... it's nothing short of amazing.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

shadowmaster wrote:Here. :P

(Note: the Windows version works well on WINE as far as I know. Native Linux builds may not always work correctly — in fact, this is why I used a crosscompiled build myself.)

Oh, hahahaha, I must be kinda dumb, I clicked on the link and thought it was screwed up or something until I saw the links XD

EDIT: Played it, and I stopped on my second turn. I'm sorry, but I got really bored with all the clicking needed. (No hotkeys urrrrggggg) But lol, the Graphics made me lol. The Archer looks like some kind of Goblin terrorist.

I'm not trying to put it down, but I see how much it's evolved since then. This game was made only by Dave right? (Or some other developers too?)
~Sierra
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I believe Dave made the first version, and other developers joined later.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I actually made it through the game. Don't think I'll ever do it again but it was intersting that it was still fun despite the idle annoyances.

I don't know why shadowmasters blog said that the recall ability didn't work. It worked fine for me. (though it felt a little strange that it could only be used for lvl 2s and that it worked for free)
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Velensk wrote:It worked fine for me. (though it felt a little strange that it could only be used for lvl 2s and that it worked for free)
Yeah, Dave later mentioned that it only worked for leveled up units. I forgot to update with that.
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

I laughed. Sorry, I just find things like this so funny. :D

OK rudeness aside. Wow, this has come quite a long way eh? right over to some new awesome drake graphics that a whole heap of people don't like. :D
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I've just published the interview I conducted with Dave:
Since I've got some Real Life™ business to finish, I'm not sure whether I'll have 0.2 reviewed at the end of this week or the next week. :/