How can I improve next time?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Unnheulu

How can I improve next time?

Post by Unnheulu »

I had a rather...interesting game, (aka I messed up super badly, probably taking my ally down with me >.>). If I post the replay here, can anyone tell him how I messed up so bad/how I can improve in future?

Any comments welcome, thanks. (I'm Unnheulu)
Attachments
4p_-_Loris_River_replay.gz
(26.37 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: How can I improve next time?

Post by Velensk »

Turn 1: 3 Mermen is way too much. Water control isn’t so critical on this map that you need to invest that heavily into it. Remember the villages are mostly inland so that is where most of the fighting will happen. Right now all you have to control the villages with early is two scouts who will go down to any sort of serious force.

Turn 2: Try to remember to recruit in the hex closes to the enemy, it can sometimes make all the difference.

Turn 3: No comment

Turn 4: Attacking the village with the scouts was a mistake. It was a move that would be far more likely to cost you than give you any concrete gain. You’re now down a village with little chance to recover.

Turn 5: Again you expose a scout to far to many units for it to handle for small chance at real gain, you also lose yet another village. In Wesnoth you don’t “just hold your army back till it grows in size then march it around”, if you don’t maintain village control you will be outnumbered and overwhelmed

Turn 6: You lose yet another village though you do gain the sea village that isn’t going to make up for the amount of income you are losing each turn.

Turn 7: After removing the water village guard you don’t claim the village? You instead send all three units back to chase after a single merman.

Turn 8: At this point you have indeed practically lost.

Overall: Pay more attention to village control and take a bit more time to evaluate your short term objectives before committing in such a way that it can cost you.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Ok, thanks. Maybe I'm a bit too much in the Civilisation world, where money is only important for research.
thanks for your tips!
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

unfortunately i couldnt play it "old version" - but i wanted to point out that in civilisation you only attack when u got a pretty big army behind you, and many units have a 99,9% CTK. i think wesnoth makes you pretty humble in taking also 25% ctks ;) ;) ;) but one thing is the same: when u got a big army behind you, it is easier to attack than attacking a huge army with only few and weak units :mrgreen:

how good are you actually at civ ?
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Not great, just a noble/prince player :/
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

in some situations you can win on monarch level too, but that requires the AI to kill each other as well - and you have to have a good overall tactics ;)

i still love the game, maybe lets create an off topic thread to gather more players for email play ?
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I have to say that the Purple team (your main foe) was pretty good though. Putting that Captain on your village with no back-up seemed stupid, until he revealed his actual plan. That was good, he left his captain there to absorb your attacks, and deal out some damage, instead of attacking his real force, and then he brought in his real force which had little/no damage, and wiped out your fighters. If he had brought them in a turn earlier, you could've weakened them, and with the crazy RNG, you could've killed finished them on the next turn.

So partly you were playing against a very good player too.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra