back to turn x and leveled units

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ysegrim

back to turn x and leveled units

Post by Ysegrim »

hello guys
i play wesnoth for over one year now, single player mostly, and i really like the game and the concept of the xp for the units.

its just a needless pain to go back to your previous turn after you lost one of your heroes. i can understand that leveled characters should have this high impact on the game and so for loosing them but you should be able to bring them back since loosing them can be more or less out of your hands sometimes.

lets say i got my lvl2 unit and fate (or my silly actions) lets this brave warrior die - how about i can recruit one new level 2 unit for the one i lost with 0 xp? i would still loose alot but i´d not have to go back to my last turn just because i lost one unit - and sometimes it really makes a difference in a campain if you have an experienced unit.

i don´t start to talk about the luck of random numbers but how useless terrain sometimes feels if you don´t hit at least one time while the enemy gets 2-3 hits on you even at his terrain disadvantage. i´d involve terrain more and make units at a terrain disadvantage always miss the first strike or/and units at a terrain advantage always hit the first strike

please excuse my poor english i hope i could explain what i meant
Schierke

Re: back to turn x and leveled units

Post by Schierke »

Ysegrim wrote: its just a needless pain to go back to your previous turn after you lost one of your heroes. i can understand that leveled characters should have this high impact on the game and so for loosing them but you should be able to bring them back since loosing them can be more or less out of your hands sometimes.
I think that that would mean basically to take any challenge or consequences out from the game. You are supposed to measure the risk/reward aspect of every move and take chances, sometimes you will win and sometimes you lose, otherwise i wouldn't be much of a strategy game.

But i do understand that it is a game above all and that people should have the ability to play it in the way that they enjoy the most, that's why you can save and reload as many times as you want.

I don't really want to sound like one of those [censored] "hardcore" players that flood the Internet, but i believe this would take away a lot of the strategic aspect of the game, as no matter how careless or poorly planned your strategy was you would face very little consecuences, and what is Wesnoth but a strategy game?
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

If you want to play that way, you're free to mod the game so you can play it that way.
Ysegrim

Post by Ysegrim »

where is the strategic challenge when i always go back to my saved game anyway ... this argument sounds really fishy.

it would not take away strategic aspects of the game if you could recruit only a limited amount of leveled units and only after you lost one.
it would keep me from just loading my saved games - and it also would open up possibilities for strategic actions, calculated losses to win the other day.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

That strategic depth is already there. There are already times when it is okay, even prudent, to lose a leveled unit. If you're playing well, you'll have other units being leveled anyways, so losing a level 2 or 3 here or there isn't such a big deal. By the end of a campaign, I usually have several times more leveled units than I ever use. Losing a few is usually not such a big deal.
Ysegrim

Post by Ysegrim »

catwhowalksbyhimself wrote:That strategic depth is already there. There are already times when it is okay, even prudent, to lose a leveled unit. If you're playing well, you'll have other units being leveled anyways, so losing a level 2 or 3 here or there isn't such a big deal. By the end of a campaign, I usually have several times more leveled units than I ever use. Losing a few is usually not such a big deal.

if loosing so many leveled units is ok then i must simply suck i assume :P because it is a big deal for me often.
anyway wesnoth is a really cool game just a few things could be designed to be more fun instead of hassle and i do not talk about the rng - that can be annoying sometimes but you also can get lucky so its ok
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Ysegrim wrote:if loosing so many leveled units is ok then i must simply suck i assume :P because it is a big deal for me often.
anyway wesnoth is a really cool game just a few things could be designed to be more fun instead of hassle and i do not talk about the rng - that can be annoying sometimes but you also can get lucky so its ok
It sounds like you may be playing too aggressively; losing L2 and L3 units is a rare and mostly avoidable occurrence. Make sure that you're taking advantage of defensive terrain, and not pressing the attack during adverse times of day. You also want to position your units so that any one unit can only be attacked by at most two units during the enemy's term; a full-health L2 or L3 unit is very unlikely to be killed this way. If you follow these precepts, losing high level units should be fairly infrequent, and you won't need to revert to earlier turns so often.

Playing this way is also excellent practice for multiplayer, where it's unlikely that your opponent will agree to revert to an earlier save game after he kills a unit. :wink:

If you're still having trouble, be sure to check out the strategies and tips forum; there's lots of useful info there that will help you improve your game and reduce the frequency with which you lose units (of any level).
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry