FINISHED - metal sparkle animation, example included

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

FINISHED - metal sparkle animation, example included

Post by Jetrel »

I just did this for a side project of mine; wesnoth needs something very similar for use on leadership animations. Rather than doing it myself (I will if this goes too long undone), I'd like to share the learning with someone else - by imitation, someone can piggyback off this and learn it too.

The key trick seems to be a high ~40ms/frame rate. Note: view this gif in something other than safari - safari seems to cap the frame rate of gifs at something like 100ms/frame.

This is a spritesheet of the basic frames, in standard english reading order (LtoR, then by rows).
sparklespritesheet.gif
sparklespritesheet.gif (1.5 KiB) Viewed 5501 times
This is it animated, as seen on a character from "frogatto".

Please make a similar animation for wesnoth, we'd like to use it on all of the leadership animations (via a macro).
Attachments
sparklekitty.gif
sparklekitty.gif (2 KiB) Viewed 5501 times
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
vonHalenbach
Translator

Re: REQUEST - metal sparkle animation, example included

Post by vonHalenbach »

cool! I think i will try to make one, since it seems to be quite easy to do. I wouldn't rotate it as much, because it should look like the sun is reflecting on something shiny, but a reflection would not rotate, if the reflecting piece is completly unmoving. A little rotation is good, because it makes it more dynamic and interesting.
SFault

Post by SFault »

Here's a sample of the frameflow. I'm intrested to know if the animation is ok. After that I will polish the images. Now there's only one color used.
Attachments
leadershine.gif
leadershine.gif (1.78 KiB) Viewed 5484 times
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Here's my attempt.

How is this going to work on leaders who don't have shiny weapons (have a club etc.)?
Attachments
flare3.gif
flare3.gif (25.4 KiB) Viewed 5415 times
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

@Sgt. Groovy: metal sparkel ftw. :) Really nice work. But I'm not sure about the last couple frames of the animation, where the circular glow dies out and is replaced by fuzzy rays... IMHO, I think it might be better to just have the circular glow and skip the last part.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

This is merely my personal opinion, but I think something a little smaller and more subtle would be appropriate for Wesnoth. Perhaps 2/3rds the scale of Jetrel's Frogatto example. Too large, and it may end up appearing fake/distracting.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

SFault wrote:Here's a sample of the frameflow. I'm intrested to know if the animation is ok. After that I will polish the images. Now there's only one color used.
:| I'm afraid that's kinda mediocre. Groovy's really outdone you here, for better or worse, but thanks for giving it a shot. :)
Sgt. Groovy wrote:Here's my attempt.
The pixelfag in me wishes that was pixel art, but honestly? That looks great. :D

Shrink it to ~1/2 the size, and I think we're good.
Sgt. Groovy wrote:How is this going to work on leaders who don't have shiny weapons (have a club etc.)?
Same way it works already. All weapons, without exception can be plausibly given some metal bit that would gleam. A wooden club or staff can get a metal 'boss' on the end. A bow could be given metal tips where the string is hooked. Even a bare hand could be given a metal gauntlet.

Even a beast could have his teeth or horns gleam.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

@Jet: Is your side project GPL? I was trying to work out how to make a good-looking sparkle for some crystals in a cave, and then you post one! Can I use it? I'd like to use something different from what may become a leader animation. (I noticed the same thing you did about the frame rate of sparkles in a earlier project of mine.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

AFAIK, the engine for Frogatto is GPL, the content is not. But you'd have to wait for Jet for final confirmation on what you could or couldn't use.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
SFault

Post by SFault »

Jetrel wrote: :| I'm afraid that's kinda mediocre. Groovy's really outdone you here, for better or worse, but thanks for giving it a shot. :)
Yeah, I noticed it too ;) No need to polish my work anymore...
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The pixelfag in me wishes that was pixel art, but honestly?
No, it was made in SVG. I thought that the smoothness of vector would suit well for an aura image, and it was really easy to animate: I just copied the previous frame to the next and did some rotation and scaling (and other tweaks). In pixelart, repeated transformations degrade quickly (especially in such small size), no such problem in vector.

Here's it in half the size. I packed the frames in separate PNGs and also included the source SVG, each frame in separate layer (you'll have to turn the background opacity on, otherwise you'll just see white on white).
Attachments
leaderflare.zip
(45.18 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
flare3.2.gif
flare3.2.gif (18.27 KiB) Viewed 5155 times
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
mortalus

Post by mortalus »

Please clarify, this animation will mark every character with the leadership ability while idle or will it run only when the leadership ability is activated?

If the latter is the case, I'd like to start a thread discussing methods to 'at-a-glance' spot which characters have certain traits. Such as animations like these (if always active; although this one is a tad busy to be constant) or mini icons over the bars. Of course, it may be something to be toggled, as well.

As for the art itself, well done, Groovy. It looks superb.

Thank you,
~Mortalus
Dragon Pieces
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

For reference, it is possible to dual-license your work, Jetrel. You can give the same piece of artwork a proprietary license for Frogatto, and an open license for Wesnoth.

Groovy, the thicknesses of the lines in that cross look nonlinear. I think they would look better linear. Also, your gleam rotates around 15 degrees, which is a bit low. Now, I realize Jetrel's version rotating 270 degrees is a bit overkill, but the happy medium is really around 80-190 degrees.

(Edit: miscounted)
Last edited by Zarel on April 4th, 2010, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I tried different kinds of lines and found that thinning ones cut off most gracefully. As for rotation, I'm happy with it as it is, because in realistic terms, it shouldn't really be rotating much at all (and besides, Jetrel's version rotates about 270 degrees, mine almost 90).

But since nothing is committed yet, you still have time to make your own version. You can even use my files. :)
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

artisticdude wrote:@Sgt. Groovy: metal sparkel ftw. :) Really nice work. But I'm not sure about the last couple frames of the animation, where the circular glow dies out and is replaced by fuzzy rays... IMHO, I think it might be better to just have the circular glow and skip the last part.
This is what I thought from the beginning, and it still holds true on the latest revision.