Wesnoth 1.8.0

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.8.0

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.8.0 is out!
Thanks for your patience and now enjoy the brand new release. This time we do have real release notes that are even translated into many different languages. A lot of info is listed in there, just have a look at it. If this is not enough for you, there even is a full changelog listing all the changes since 1.6. A changelog with changes that might be visible to most users (and only includes these) is the players changelog. Though for most it is enough to just have a look at the release notes, the most important aspects are listed in there.

Downloads
Sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... 2/download (274.6 MB) md5sum
Here is the xDelta for the sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... a/download (1.6.5 to 1.8.0, 94.8 MB)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... a/download (1.7.15 to 1.8.0, 5.7 MB)
Check http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for info on using xdelta.

The Windows package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The MacOSX package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

Many of the Linux packages have already been created. All known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them work you get on the Linux binaries site for the Linux binaries. Download links for the other supported systems will be listed at the downloads page once the binaries are available.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ - you should first try to get files through SourceForge to help us save bandwidth. Please get the files from sourceforge.net if possible.

The multiplayer server for 1.8.x is already up and running. This server can be used to play with 1.7.14, 1.7.15 and all 1.8.x versions. Older versions are no longer supported. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

A new add-on server was started when 1.7.8-beta1 was released. All content uploaded to this new server should be compatible with the following 1.7.x beta releases, release candidates for 1.8, as well as the final 1.8.x series. If you encounter any problems with content from the add-on server not working as expected, please notify the content's author, most of them should be here in the forums.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to post bugs first. Instructions for bug reporting can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs.

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don't do any good, so better not ask them...
Bugreports in the forums tend to get forgotten. You will get better results by following the guidelines and report them in the bugtracker.
mvdk

Re: Wesnoth 1.8.0

Post by mvdk »

There isn't any coincidence in the timing, is there?

This would be a terrible April Fool's...
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

mvdk wrote:There isn't any coincidence in the timing, is there?

This would be a terrible April Fool's...
You could just check if the download does work. Then you start the program, check the version number in the bottom left corner of the main screen and connect to the multiplayer server to see if it is possible...

Considering that this version is already available via the package manager of some distributions (eg Gentoo) out there I would be surprised if it was an april fool's...
mvdk

Post by mvdk »

Reading the "full changelog", no mention is made of rev 41637, fixing Gryphon Mountain issue - yet the svn repository definitely shows 1.8.0 has it in there.

Cheers,

Michael
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

mvdk wrote:Reading the "full changelog", no mention is made of rev 41637, fixing Gryphon Mountain issue - yet the svn repository definitely shows 1.8.0 has it in there.
Yes, sadly some developers are not this nice to the changelog and "forget" to add some of their changes. Yes, this is a constant issue but there is no real way around this if you want to have a readable changelog. The only way around commits not appearing in the changelog was automatically adding every svn revision to the changelog, which does not make any sense at all since it would be unreadable.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

mvdk wrote:Reading the "full changelog", no mention is made of rev 41637, fixing Gryphon Mountain issue - yet the svn repository definitely shows 1.8.0 has it in there.
Unfortunately, there is a number of devs who ignore the change...

*cough*

excuse me...

*cough, cough*

changelog. This time it wasn't me, though :wink: .
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Um, how would I use my userdata for the 1.7 for this 1.8 version?
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Hulavuta wrote:Um, how would I use my userdata for the 1.7 for this 1.8 version?
What OS are you using?
cacahuete

Post by cacahuete »

why is 1.8 stable if yesterday the stable version was 1.6 and 1.7 was in development?

Cacahuete
stikonas
Translator

Post by stikonas »

Even versions are stable and odd versions are development.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

penguin wrote:
Hulavuta wrote:Um, how would I use my userdata for the 1.7 for this 1.8 version?
What OS are you using?

Windows Vista
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Heathgod

Post by Heathgod »

This might be a dumb question that is answered somewhere in a buried post, but what exactly is the difference between the "Default AI" and the "RCA AI" choices?

Also, HELLZ YEAH! I'm super excited about playing Wesnoth 1.8 :-)
Vladcara

Post by Vladcara »

@haluvata: With MS XP you can just copy across the data folder and it works just fine. Also: Why Vista? XP or Windows 7 are much better!
'Wow, Brazil's big!'
George Bush, when shown a map of the world
lancebramsay

Post by lancebramsay »

*tears of joy*
-LaZrO-

Amaranthine|Map
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Vladcara wrote:@haluvata: With MS XP you can just copy across the data folder and it works just fine. Also: Why Vista? XP or Windows 7 are much better!

My old computer which ran XP broke down, so when we went to buy a new one, the current one was Vista, so we just bought it.
~Sierra