East West Quantum Leap

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Telaron

East West Quantum Leap

Post by Telaron »

Just wanted to know which version of East- West-Quantum-Leap would be the best to get for someone who can't afford the $1000 version. I looked around, but it there seems to be several different versions of the program. Any input would be appreciated. :D
hope this isn't off-topic.
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Re: East West Quantum Leap

Post by Tyler Johnson »

For Wesnoth, EWQLSO Gold.

For everything else, I would say if you're a hobbyist then get Goliath, since it has a bit of everything mixed in.

But I would get VSL instead of EWQL :D

-Tyler
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Tyler Johnson wrote:But I would get VSL instead of EWQL
What is VSL?
(I'm presuming EWQL is East WEst Quantum Leap.)
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Telaron wrote:What is VSL?
Here
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Hmm, VSL looks a little expensive for me, though I might just manage to get the Gold addition of EWQL. (Gotta cobble enough b-day money together) But, in terms of quality, which is better? EWQL or VSL?
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Telaron wrote:Hmm, VSL looks a little expensive for me, though I might just manage to get the Gold addition of EWQL. (Gotta cobble enough b-day money together) But, in terms of quality, which is better? EWQL or VSL?
I own neither (unless you count EWQL free) but I think the general consensus is that VSL is pretty much the best stuff you can get. AFAIK it's a lot less instant gratification than EWQL; the library needs a lot more work to set up and use, but the results are also much more impressive. They sound quite different too, EWQL has that processed blockbuster movie score type of sound, whereas VSL is warmer and more natural (though it is no doubt possible to make VSL sound more Hollywood too). Both libraries are of high quality, if we're talking sheer *sound* quality. They're just... different.

The above should of course be taken with a grain of salt, as I have never used VSL at all, and EWQL only briefly.
PPH

Post by PPH »

I have EWQL Silver and it suits my needs, but I don't compose as much music as I used to. I'm a hobbyst, not a professional. I suggest you try the free version. Use it together with the free samples that Tyler and West have made available. See if you get the hang of it. And if you decide to buy it, wait until there are discounted prices. There always are. If you wait until Labor Day, or Christmas, or whatever, you can buy Silver for 50% or 40% less than it usually costs (at soundsonline, that is).

I don't know VSL, but they say is better than EWQL. Aside from quality, I find the fact that there are downloadable packages a big advantage (unless you live in a civilized country where they don't kill you with horrific taxes for buying a DVD with samples).
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

West wrote:I think the general consensus is that VSL is pretty much the best stuff you can get. AFAIK it's a lot less instant gratification than EWQL; the library needs a lot more work to set up and use, but the results are also much more impressive. They sound quite different too, EWQL has that processed blockbuster movie score type of sound, whereas VSL is warmer and more natural (though it is no doubt possible to make VSL sound more Hollywood too). Both libraries are of high quality, if we're talking sheer *sound* quality. They're just... different.
That's pretty much spot on...they're different libraries.

I have both, and I use both at the same time, or sometimes at different times.

"Sad" was composed only using VSL, but "Casualties of War" and "Into the Shadows" were EWQL.

Here's how I prefer the two:

Strings:

I like the short staccato attacks of some of the EWQL patches; mainly the 70 piece orchestra staccato and marcato articulation, as well as the violin / cello staccato's.

But as legato strings are concerned, VSL blows EWQL out of the water no question. Even Hollywood strings don't compare to the VSL string library.

Woodwinds

For woodwinds, actually I use both. There are very nice flute patches in EWQL that I use for everything involving flute. Sometimes I'll layer EWQL / VSL to get a unique sound.

But I prefer the Oboe d'amour of VSL to the oboe of EWQL.

Brass

Well, VSL's Epic horns are great! But I also like the smooth mellow tone of the EWQL Horns and the short trumpet staccato patches as well, so again, I use both.

Percussion

I definitely have to go with VSL on this one if I had to rank them. Although I do use both again.

One thing is for sure though, I will NEVER use the EWQL snare again. It literally sounds like someone put rice in a matchbox, and recorded it. In comparison to the VSL snare, I laugh at EWQL.

But EWQL has a lot of percussion that VSL doesn't have (this is only in the EWQLSO version I'm talking about, not Stormdrum).

So to sum up, both are good, depending on what I want to use it for. But VSL is also a lot more costly and takes a LOT more time to mix and get to sound good. So if you're impatient and want an instantly good sounding piece of music with little tweaking, use EWQL. If you're serious about composing and you want your music to sound as good and full as possible, use VSL.

And yes, there are always deals going on on the EWQL stuff. VSL not so much, but I reccomend everyone to get the Epic Orchestra Pack that comes with Vienna Ensemble Pro (I think the package is €195 but worth it!)

Also, I would skip EWQL Silver and go to Gold, it's only a couple hundred bucks more for 150x more content.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Tyler Johnson wrote:Also, I would skip EWQL Silver and go to Gold, it's only a couple hundred bucks more for 150x more content.
I definitely agree with this. The difference in price between Silver and Gold isn't that significant anymore, and considering how much more you get for your money if you buy Gold, Silver looks like a pretty bad deal.
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Tyler Johnson wrote:One thing is for sure though, I will NEVER use the EWQL snare again. It literally sounds like someone put rice in a matchbox, and recorded it. In comparison to the VSL snare, I laugh at EWQL.
Thanks for warning me (before I got it, used it, and posted the song) :D.

I looked online, and the general cost of EWQL Gold seems to be around $445, just about a-hundred over my typical price-limit around Christmas. My birthday's comin up however, and I'm considering just saving up. :wink: I'm still looking around for a verification price for VSL, because it seems to be the best. Thanks for all your input guys!

Do you need another program to run with EWQL or with VSL or are they stand-alone programs?

EDIT: West: What program do you use to compose your music? (aside from REAPER) The instruments you use sound different from those on the sf2 site you and Tyler set up.

BTW, is there a free version of EWQL available? Just thought i'd ask because someone I know mentioned there might be one.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

To quote West:

Here.

Seriously dude, use Google. It's not that hard...
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Telaron wrote:EDIT: West: What program do you use to compose your music? (aside from REAPER) The instruments you use sound different from those on the sf2 site you and Tyler set up.
I'm not sure I understand the question... REAPER is the only app I use. As for sounding different, I never said I only use those soundfonts. I have a few commercial libraries as well.
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

West wrote:I'm not sure I understand the question...
I thought your pieces sounded too high quality to have been made just with free samples. Commercial libraries... that explains it. :D
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Telaron wrote:I thought your pieces sounded too high quality to have been made just with free samples. Commercial libraries... that explains it. :D
I find that conclusion mildly insulting.
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

West wrote:I find that conclusion mildly insulting.
Sorry, didn't mean to sound insulting. :( No, your music's quality is completely due to your brilliant composing skills. :D