Fire and Flight (campaign)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Fire and Flight (campaign)

Post by Velensk »

I have not put this campaign up on the server yet but it will be up soon. This is a place to put questions and give feedback for when it is available.

This is a short (5 scenario) drake campaign. It is designed to be an expert level campaign that can be completed in a single afternoon in theory. I feel like this campaign is in a way the most difficult campaign I have created so be warned.

Things I am not satisfied with:
-I feel that even by my standards the writing in this campaign is exceptionally poor. If somebody wants to give their hand at it I'll consider any amont/sort of revision to the writing as long as it does not affect the gameplay.
- I am satisfied with the gameplay for the all scenarios except the final scenario. It feels to me like you need to play it a couple times to figure out how it works and where everything is in order to beat it. I would rather wait to make modifications until I've gotten a bit of feedback from somebody who comes into the scenario unaware.

Those things in particular I am interested on feedback for, however if you have any other comments/suggestions feel free to add them.

EDIT: When I wrote this post, I had forgotten that I have some sort of technical difficulty in which whenever I try to upload something to the add-on server I get a 'Network Communication Error'. For the moment until I can get this sorted out I'm going to post a zip file of my campaign here.
Attachments
FireFlight.zip
(100.04 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
tsr

Re: Fire and Flight (campaign)

Post by tsr »

Ok, first try (on the easiest difficulty) and have some comments (not on prose, I never read the prose - just skim it to undersatnd what I have to do, sry about that):
- I admit I am a terrible drake player, but I used a 'head on' approach in the first scenario, worked quite well ;)
- the berserker weapon special makes the first objective of the first scenario a bit too cheezy (in lack of a better word)
- second scenario: how about making the first encounter in first watch (ToD-wise) unless you run away, too straight forward)
- third scenario: objectives talk about a red cross in the south east corner, but I imagine you mean the signpost in the southwest corner
- I really like how the orcish fight between themselves, nice setup
- The Sink: maybe some more obvious clue about that it is Haorem that needs to find the cave...
- Last scenario: for later...

/tsr
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

1:I'm fine with the head-on approach working on easy (I never bother to balance easy or hard). The berserk special is there so that the duel is finished in one turn which is the intended effect. If you would prefer I could make a mirror of the berserk special except with the name 'duel' but I don't really see the point.

2: LIke I mentioned before I'm not interested in balance on easy as long as it is easier than normal.

3:Apparently I forgot to redo the objectives when I redid the map. Good catch.

4: I was thinking about that, however I figure that if the random void in the middle of the cave isn't enough then the player isn't thinking hard enough.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
tsr

Post by tsr »

Ok, I might restart it on the middle one then and get back with relevant comments ;)

/tsr
tsr

Post by tsr »

So, restarted it, here is the replay...
Struggle_for_Command_replay.tar.gz
(4.77 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
For my second run on "Soldier" I'll try the same tactic again ;)

/tsr - crosses fingers

ps. I wont tripple post but will edit this post with my findings :)

Ok, comments:
- in the first scenario I killed everyone and saved the leader for last, but the comment implied I had conducted a sneak attack on the leader
- in the orc scenario it is ok to loose your leader atm ... ;)
- this is the first time I remember restarting a scenario after playing it for over an hour, I really like the orc scenario :)
- in the 'find the cave' scenario it doesn't matter who attacks first (if it is the undead, the nagas or me) the dialog always shows as it was the nagas that attacked me first.
Last edited by tsr on March 30th, 2010, 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

-I don't have time for the replay today but hopefully I'll get around to it tommorrow.

-That comment was never intended to imply anything.

-I'll fix that.
Des

Post by Des »

Velensk wrote:I feel that even by my standards the writing in this campaign is exceptionally poor. If somebody wants to give their hand at it I'll consider any amont/sort of revision to the writing as long as it does not affect the gameplay.
If you send me all the text, I will be more than happy to edit it for general things like punctuation, clarity, and flow. It's what I do :D
Redrock Gulch (Winter 2009 Map Contest Submission)

To rely on rustics and not prepare is the greatest of crimes; to be prepared beforehand for any contingency is the greatest of Virtues. - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I wasn't talking about the grammer though for all I know it could be quite poor too. I was talking about the writing: What is being said not the syntax for saying it.
in the 'find the cave' scenario it doesn't matter who attacks first (if it is the undead, the nagas or me) the dialog always shows as it was the nagas that attacked me first.
No it dosn't. The quote simply askes why they are coming out to meet them in battle. It dosn't say anything about who is giving first strike.
Des

Post by Des »

Velensk wrote:I wasn't talking about the grammer though for all I know it could be quite poor too. I was talking about the writing: What is being said not the syntax for saying it.
So do you need a writer for a better storyline, or someone to revise what you already have? Or both?

I can revise if you want me to. Writing is a bit harder, but I can throw some ideas at you if you want.

To rely on rustics and not prepare is the greatest of crimes; to be prepared beforehand for any contingency is the greatest of Virtues. - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

This entire campaign was based around the gameplay concepts of the scenarios and that was the entirety of the objective. I merely feel like the writing/story/dialogue detract more from the overall experience than they add to it and would have this fixed.

It can be fixed in any way up to and including rewriting the entire story and I would be fine with it as long as it is an improvement and does not require any major changes to the gameplay.'

EDIT: @tsr heh, finally got around to that replay. The good thing about that is that in the unlikely event of it happening you can always restart. though still. Also, I misread your last comment which was the cause of the odd reply. If you think that is a problem I could fix it, however it isn't supposed to be specific to a naga attack (or anyone else for that matter).
Des

Post by Des »

Velensk,

Sounds good. I have already begun the process, starting with the opening storyline text.

The changes won't affect gameplay.