Telaron's Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Telaron

Re: Anybody got any work for me to do?

Post by Telaron »

Here's an idea I had for a campaign. It is several units together in a squad. Now I know that this is very unorthodox, however, it seems to go with all those other 18th century war games.(Imperial Glory, Total War...) Any thoughts? Below are several screen shots.
Attachments
Untitled-1.png
Untitled-1.png (154.37 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
Untitled-2.png
Untitled-2.png (59.32 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

It would be cool if, when the unit loses 1/4th of its total health, one of the soldiers disappears. That way you'd have their ranks being slowly depleted, just like in a real battle.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

artisticdude wrote:It would be cool if, when the unit loses 1/4th of its total health, one of the soldiers disappears.
Yeah, though I doubt I could code it. I have a question about their cfg files, so I'll just post something in WML Workshop.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

It wouldn't help with the graphics, but you could give all of those "squad" units the swarm ability, so that they could start out with a 4-round attack, and then at 3/4 health it goes down to a 3-round attack, and so on. Then it would be as though the soldiers were dying off.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could change the unit's appearance as the health goes down - but what happens when they sit next to a healer and it goes back up again?
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
BLM

Post by BLM »

thespaceinvader wrote:but what happens when they sit next to a healer and it goes back up again?
They do as an amoeba does by splitting to make new soldiers :roll: . It is better than several alternative explanations.
An even better explanation is that once a solider becomes wounded it is removed from combat to wait for a healer(thus not showing on screen). It would be shown again obviously once it is healed.
Bawling Little Man...
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

thespaceinvader wrote:I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could change the unit's appearance as the health goes down - but what happens when they sit next to a healer and it goes back up again?
Don't have healers, just towns where they recruit/conscript new soldiers?

Telaron:
I have had a similar idea for a game made using the Wesnoth engine where you would take over territories and recruit squads instead of single units, they would use the swarm attack thing. It was based on Risk and also the early Rom games.

I have tons of ideas (as usual) and even some really lame and non-functional Python coding for a prototype of the map-board bits if that helps. I haven't given up upn the project, I just had other things to do and got distracted. I'd gladly let you take whatever good ideas I had if you can use them.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

you can change the sprite's appearence with HP.

you can provide an animation that will be played while healing

so yes, CABD
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Midnight_Carnival wrote:Telaron:
I have had a similar idea for a game made using the Wesnoth engine where you would take over territories and recruit squads instead of single units, they would use the swarm attack thing. It was based on Risk and also the early Rom games.

I have tons of ideas (as usual) and even some really lame and non-functional Python coding for a prototype of the map-board bits if that helps. I haven't given up upn the project, I just had other things to do and got distracted. I'd gladly let you take whatever good ideas I had if you can use them.
Thanks, I could use them. I am going to make a campaign out of these and I have a few ideas, but not enough for a very large campaign (maybe 3-5 scenarios). I will probably code a trial scenario and stick it up in the Scenario Forum for critique and other ideas. Any help in any apartment will be vastly appreciated. :D
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

While healing you can make an animation of a wounded soldier walking to formation and removing bandages if you are getting extra ones.
Well you will really need 3 of those animations..
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

fmunoz wrote:While healing you can make an animation of a wounded soldier walking to formation and removing bandages if you are getting extra ones.
That would be nice, yes, but a lot of work too :wink: The question is, "where would they walk from?".
revenant

Post by revenant »

You could also try to make them immune to healing effects. (Don't ask me how.) It's also unorthodox.

You could make a soldier get up from nowhere and wipe his forehead like he's relieved to be healthy again. :lol2:
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I wouldn't make them immune to healing, that would detract from the strategy of the units, since they couldn't make use of villages except for monetary purposes.

Perhaps the soldier could parachute down from the sky, like they dropped more troops from above (though that wouldn't work, judging from the time period of the costumes). Or one of the soldiers could split into two soldiers, like an amoeba. Or he could crawl out of a hole in the ground. Or maybe he just appears there.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
TwilightHero

Post by TwilightHero »

Or, instead of doctors/healers, you could have some chariot or something. A doctor would appear and take off the bandages of the missing soldiers.
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Here's a suit of armor with a new chain-mail texture (I think). The armor definitely is in need of stronger highlights. I just wanted to get the mail right though.
Mail with Legs.png
Mail with Legs.png (4.18 KiB) Viewed 3063 times
The chain-mail skirt is in need of some help. It looks like chain-mail legs. Do chain-mail legs look fine, or would a skirt seem more appropriate? Any thoughts?