another topic about drakes! (since we don't have enough!)

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

donkey_noob_trash1

another topic about drakes! (since we don't have enough!)

Post by donkey_noob_trash1 »

I just wanted to compile a list of strategies and tactics that I've accrued over my many games on Wesnoth that has made me one of the greatest drake players of ALL time. Without further ado, here they are:

1) Recruit ONLY drakes! You heard me. Saurians are for noobs. Doesn't matter which faction you're up against.

2) Attack at night! This is particularly effective against the undead.

3) Invest heavily in one type of unit! No need to diversify. Burners are preferably the unit to spam.

4) Attack melee units with melee units, and ranged with ranged. Your guys are better than theirs, that's why they cost more.

5) Don't bother with economy. If they want to play the economy game, let them. You just focus on killing his guys. That's why it's called BATTLE for Wesnoth, not ECONOMY of Wesnoth, or Sim Wesnoth.

6) Use these tactics preferably in 1 on 1 ladder games.

Hmmm... that about covers it. Post all replays showing how dominant these strategies are!
"Oh noes, I'm trapped by corporeal beings!" -Caphriel (in a discussion about ghosts and ZoC)
Araja

Re: another topic about drakes! (since we don't have enough!)

Post by Araja »

7) If fighting the Undead, make sure you attack Dark Adepts with your Burners. Adepts are a vital part of the Undead army and should be swarmed whenever possible.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Ado is bad. I'm glad there isn't any further of it. I don't think this thread is entirely appropriate. Reasoning:
In IRC I wrote:(10:30:24 PM) Gambit: I thought he was serious unstil I actually started digesting the advice.
(10:31:29 PM) Gambit: Now I don't get the point of the thread.
(10:31:34 PM) Gambit: It really should be moved to off topic.
(10:31:45 PM) Gambit: People go to Strategies and Tips for *serious* advice.
(10:31:52 PM) Gambit: They don't know how to play and need help.
(10:32:06 PM) Gambit: Like technical support, it isn't the place for any joking.
Or it should be clearly marked as a joke.
donkey_noob_trash1

Post by donkey_noob_trash1 »

Araja wrote:7) If fighting the Undead, make sure you attack Dark Adepts with your Burners. Adepts are a vital part of the Undead army and should be swarmed whenever possible.
Yes! OMG, how could I have forgotten that? :oops:

Gambit- you are quite right. Quick, question, though... how many of the tips did it take you to realize the nature of the post? I'm thinking that #2 made it a bit too obvious. Should have put the less obv ones up front, but oh well...
"Oh noes, I'm trapped by corporeal beings!" -Caphriel (in a discussion about ghosts and ZoC)
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

donkey_noob_trash1 wrote:Gambit- you are quite right. Quick, question, though... how many of the tips did it take you to realize the nature of the post? I'm thinking that #2 made it a bit too obvious. Should have put the less obv ones up front, but oh well...
#1 got me thinking "wtf". #2 got me thinking "ohhhhhhh".

I tried to post a replay with this strategy winning, by giving the player playing drakes 400 starting gold and +18 gold/turn. They still lost. ;)
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Instead, you should have started a joke thread complaining about how drakes are too medium-powered.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Eskon

Post by Eskon »

2 is too obvious. 1 didn't sound completely off the rockers to me. Recruiting only drakes, you would seek to maximize the power of your day attack and use drake mobility to stay out of trouble at night. That is probably a legitimate, workable strategic choice, especially against chaotic factions. Of course, dismissing the saurian units out of hand is not very clever.

Also, it can be beneficial - at day - to attack adepts with a burner's ranged attacks, if killing the adept is imperative in the current situation. (Say, it is right next to wounded units you want to protect using ZoC.)
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Nah, you have already given it away here:
donkey_noob_trash1 wrote:I just wanted to compile a list of strategies and tactics that I've accrued over my many games on Wesnoth that has made me one of the greatest drake players of ALL time.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Lol, if I hadn't read a few posts later that it was a joke, I would've posted how bad it was.

Allow me to modify these tactics into good ones:

1) Use MOSTLY Drakes, but you should use Saurian Augurs for healing, and maybe a few Skirmishers who can take out cavalry when you don't want to spare a drake clasher.

2)Hahahahahahahhahahahhaa

3) Burners might make good spam, (hahaha get it? cuz they cook, with fire...) but if you only spammed TWO units, Clashers would be good as well.

4) This is actually a good tip. Although additionally, ranged guys should attack people with no ranged, and melee should attack no melee. (or weak melee/ranged)

5) Drakes are expensive and require a lot of economy.

6) I don't know about this one

7) Burners might have a small advantage over adepts at daytime, but normally you should use Melee fighters such as Clashers to kill them.

Now it's somewhat a serious tactics topic.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

HomerJ wrote:Nah, you have already given it away here:
Actually, it didn't give it away for me, since donkey_noob_trash1 is a pretty good player, and though I don't particularly like it, I know many good players who like to brag.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

vs a noob:

1) Recruit ONLY drakes! You heard me. Saurians are for noobs. Doesn't matter which faction you're up against.

yes that one works pretty well

2) Attack at night! This is particularly effective against the undead.

i wouldnt call it attack, but rather grab. :D

3) Invest heavily in one type of unit! No need to diversify. Burners are preferably the unit to spam.

yes thats right. complete noobs with zero background to the units abilities have no chance even if u spam them with 13 fighters

4) Attack melee units with melee units, and ranged with ranged. Your guys are better than theirs, that's why they cost more.

no thats not possible, i cant attack flares with fighters ranged even if i wanted to - my lust for victory prevails too much !

5) Don't bother with economy. If they want to play the economy game, let them. You just focus on killing his guys. That's why it's called BATTLE for Wesnoth, not ECONOMY of Wesnoth, or Sim Wesnoth.

actually one way to win with *insert ur fraction here* when u spam only one type of unit IS TO BLOCK ALL VILLAGES :)

6) Use these tactics preferably in 1 on 1 ladder games.

unfortunately almost nobody is impressed as soon as he figured out u have nothing but those *insert ur fav unit here*

and here goes the savegame
Attachments
2p_-_Twin_Rivers_-_Created_..._Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
unique drake fighters spam
(10.63 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
Araja

Post by Araja »

Anyone who didn't pick our posts up as a joke shouldn't be playing Wesnoth in the first place...
That being said, I suppose it could mislead someone who has never played Wesnoth or any other strategy game while being registered on the Wesnoth forums. :hmm:

I should probably find some high defense terrain before a higher-up arrives and takes exception to that. :P
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Rigor wrote:vs a noob:

yes that one works pretty well
I don't know if you're joking as well, but Saurians aren't really useless. They're pretty useful, except a noob wouldn't notice considering their low hp and somewhat low attack.
Velensk wrote:There are a few match-ups where going heavy on saurians can be a very good idea (loyalists and archer heavy rebels come to mind but that isn't the only situation)
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Hulavuta wrote:I don't know if you're joking as well, but Saurians aren't really useless.
Oh, come on. He says:
Anyone who didn't pick our posts up as a joke shouldn't be playing Wesnoth in the first place...
right in the next post.
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

Jeeze man... I don't know, I tried to, but I couldn't win using this strategy...didn't have enough gold to burner-spam, all my burners died against the adepts when I attacked them at night...Sorry, but I dont think your strategy is very good :(
____
LOPL
____
BTW Zarel, WTH is your avatar... I thought I knew what it was, but then I noticed it was to the wrong side...:hmm:
Last edited by PeterPorty on March 26th, 2010, 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."