I downloaded it and started playing on normal...

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Brunopolis

Re: I downloaded it and started playing on normal...

Post by Brunopolis »

Suggestion: Level up your units as soon as possible then put them in a big ball with a healer in the middle and just keep moving those injured back so they can heal away from danger. If any die reload until you get a satisfactory outcome. Really at the end of the day the first few missions are the only ones you should really be building many fresh units. After that just use your high level unit army to steamroll the computer.

Think of the game as Fire Emblem rather than Advance Wars. Don't let any of your high level units die unless it really really helps you and you can't avoid it.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Brunopolis wrote:Suggestion: Level up your units as soon as possible then put them in a big ball with a healer in the middle and just keep moving those injured back so they can heal away from danger. If any die reload until you get a satisfactory outcome. Really at the end of the day the first few missions are the only ones you should really be building many fresh units. After that just use your high level unit army to steamroll the computer.

Think of the game as Fire Emblem rather than Advance Wars. Don't let any of your high level units die unless it really really helps you and you can't avoid it.
Uh, thats precisely how you don't win this game. Depending on a scenario's size and position you often only need three or four lvl3s, maybe eight to twelve lvl2 and the rest lvl1s. You make smart, achievable attack choices, limit the exposure of upper level units to retaliation, and use the terrain to your advantage. Making attacks on open ground at dusk when you're a loyalist/elvish combo, is about the surest way to lose. Fall back into forests/hills, while rotating casualties out of the line will get you very far. Moreover, having more units allows you to build defensive lines that only expose units to two attacks, preventing losses. You don't need to give all the xp to upper level units, spreading it around and having a ton of good quality lvl2s will go alot farther than a few super amla-ed lvl3s.

Thats how you win this game without saveloading or breaking a sweat.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

Absolutely terrible suggestions by Brunopolis.
Let us all measure in milliyards, that way we can all get along.

Replay Archive: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Replays
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

And now it becomes clear why he hates the game so much :roll: Or maybe he's just being sarcastic.

Wesnoth seems to attract a lot of players who fall in love with level 3 units, and play the game around using level 3 units, and then complain when they fail miserably :augh:
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Ok guys- enough bashing him. I think he gets the point. :?
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

Indeed, when I have level 3 units, I generally try to avoid using them as much as possible, since any experience they pick up is mostly wasted, and use the the very few I do recall to soften up enemy targets for other units to kill, take out units that would otherwise threaten other units I need to preserve, or take blows other units could never survive. The bulk of the work gets done by the level 1s and 2s.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I find that maybe, having AMLA give a heal and 3 hp should be undone, and the AMLA feature saved for unique characters and UMC tom-foolery. I can't believe I'm saying this, but on the other hand, it would make people want to use lvl 3's less often...

*crawls back under a rock*
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Thrawn wrote:I find that maybe, having AMLA give a heal and 3 hp should be undone, and the AMLA feature saved for unique characters and UMC tom-foolery. I can't believe I'm saying this, but on the other hand, it would make people want to use lvl 3's less often...
L3's are already far less useful than L1's... no need to make it worse. :/
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Lvl 3s are not far less useful than lvl 1s you just don't need many of them in most scenarios.

Lvl 3s are units that can hold the line against lvl 2 enemies, they have access to abillites lvl 1s generally don't, they have the power to break tough enemy lines. This is all very valueable. Good use of level 3s will allow you to lose fewer of your promising greens and finish scenarios quicker increasing the amount of gold bonus you get.

Comparitively lvl 1s are merely cheap, expendable, and an oppertunity to get more lvled units. All of that is also valueable but it dosn't mean that they are more useful just that you need more of them.

I don't think that removing the AMLA would help anything.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

Noy wrote:
Brunopolis wrote:Suggestion: Level up your units as soon as possible then put them in a big ball with a healer in the middle and just keep moving those injured back so they can heal away from danger. If any die reload until you get a satisfactory outcome. Really at the end of the day the first few missions are the only ones you should really be building many fresh units. After that just use your high level unit army to steamroll the computer.

Uh, thats precisely how you don't win this game. Depending on a scenario's size and position you often only need three or four lvl3s, maybe eight to twelve lvl2 and the rest lvl1s. You make smart, achievable attack choices, limit the exposure of upper level units to retaliation, and use the terrain to your advantage. Making attacks on open ground at dusk when you're a loyalist/elvish combo, is about the surest way to lose. Fall back into forests/hills, while rotating casualties out of the line will get you very far. Moreover, having more units allows you to build defensive lines that only expose units to two attacks, preventing losses. You don't need to give all the xp to upper level units, spreading it around and having a ton of good quality lvl2s will go alot farther than a few super amla-ed lvl3s.

Thats how you win this game without saveloading or breaking a sweat.
Yeah, and combine this awesome tactic with saveloading, and you can get a whole army of level 3's. lol. A good middleground is only saveloading to the start of a scenario, in order to change tactics, or saveloading to a specific turn where you know you made a mistake. WINFE and WIN... in general are important things to remember. Wesnoth is Wesnoth, and comparing Wesnoth to any other war game is going to yield some inherent flaws. An inerrant assertion could only be made if Wesnoth is only compared to itself. In other words WIO.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
Captain_Wrathbow

Zachron wrote:comparing Wesnoth to any other war game is going to yield some inherent flaws.
WINAWG :P
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

Oh... you got me there.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

No he hasn't as you included the word "other".
His acronym would be better expressed as Wesnoth Is Not Another War Game
Captain_Wrathbow

:lol2: :roll:
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Zachron wrote:WIO.
WISLI