Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Terrain: winter castle

Post by doofus-01 »

I'm not so hot on the idea of making them white, I don't like the way it works with the desert houses (personal opinion, I'm not saying they suck).

Boucman: I got the impression from this old thread that the exploder isn't so appropriate anymore. I've just been drawing over the regular castle pieces. Sometimes things don't line up though, so it's probably not the best way to do it.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

did youtry CastleTutorial I used a modified version of the tool to cut the ocean rhyging5 provided, and it worked quite well...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Darth Fool's comments still make me wary of it.
Darth Fool wrote: I suggest not using the exploder unless you are making very short towers. It makes hard cuts on the hex edges. In particular, for the ruin graphics where there were multiple versions of each towers, the exploder methodology causes graphical glithces. I think using wesnoth itself in windowed mode as the imploder is superior.
I'd prefer to not split a tower across multiple images. The tutorial also does not deal with the keep-castle transitions, which is the part I would have liked to see. The exploder might be very useful if starting from scratch, but if I can use the existing castles as a guide I don't see the advantage. I'll give it a try next time though (if there is a next time).This wiki page also looked relevant, but the two links at the top of the page are broken.

I think I've got the castles lined up. They are not fully shaded, I need to get the keeps in place first and that will take a while.
Attachments
sandcastleshot.png
sandcastleshot.png (322.75 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
francophone

Post by francophone »

I was interested for my campaign (after utbs). But this is not necessary.

For color. I like the resemblance to the sand. Like a pyramid in Egypt. That is a castle made with local materials : sand hardened.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Terrain: Sandcastles

Post by thespaceinvader »

Like your previous efforts, they seem just a little too cartoony and smooth. But I could live with that, they look good. What about the distinction between castle and keep, though?
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Aww, c'mon. Not everything I say is superfluous garbage. :lol2:
doofus-01 wrote:I think I've got the castles lined up. They are not fully shaded, I need to get the keeps in place first and that will take a while.
The thing in the middle is not a keep, it's a hole.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

That'll learn me. Sorry, my bad. I should take my own advice and read more carefully...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Some of the wall tiles are a different color than the others. They're red instead of green, so I've circled the offending walls in blue. :wink:
Attachments
sandcastleshotcircled.png
sandcastleshotcircled.png (368.07 KiB) Viewed 3152 times
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Your structures look as if they're made of cloth, largely because of the shading, also because of the greenish colour. In general I've noticed your yellow looks way too green, is your monitor weirdly calibrated or something?

I think the "towers" should be as low as possible; they seriously disrupt the view.
Bad_Dog

Post by Bad_Dog »

I'm having some kind of serious brain-weirdness with it. It looks (as in an optical illusion) as if the whole castle is angled slightly to the left, but when I look close I see all the lines are straight.

:shock: What is causing this???

Edit: It's probably the desert background. :annoyed:
stimj

Post by stimj »

I like what you've made, but there's one major thing lacking imho: sand. If you go to the beach you'll notice that sand is stuck in every nook and cranny. Seems like there should be some drifts inside/on the castle.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

(Neoskel is colorblind? And such a good artist all the same! Or am I the colorblind one?)

Agreed with stimj--also, what if you were to add some slightly better-defined "blocks" at the base of the flat wall sections, like you've got on the towers (incidentally, I prefer the ones on the left-hand towards: they feel a little more natural)? Obviously having something your enemy can climb up isn't the greatest idea in the world, but I think maybe it would help relieve the overly-smooth look TSI commented on.
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

guys, he said it isnt shaded yet
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

I like this design. It looks different from other castles and it fits to desert environment. I'm curious how the final version would appear. Keep up good work.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I love the design, but I'll strongly echo the warning about them looking "too cartoony".

Once you get the shading in, you should probably remove the outlines facing towards the light.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!