DD's Frankie emporium; terrain, units- evil a speciality...

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Darker_Dreams

DD's Frankie emporium; terrain, units- evil a speciality...

Post by Darker_Dreams »

Doing something to unwind this evening, I came up with these sprites. They're all shameless Frankenstein/recolors of stuff in the core game, but they served their purpose and provided some amusement. I figured I'd share in case anyone could find use for them.
erines.png
erines.png (3.65 KiB) Viewed 4185 times
necrophane.png
necrophane.png (3.46 KiB) Viewed 4187 times
skeladept.png
skeladept.png (1.96 KiB) Viewed 4187 times
skeladept.zip
I actually did the whole set for this one...
(12.18 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
hollowadept.png
hollowadept.png (1.88 KiB) Viewed 4187 times
Last edited by Darker_Dreams on April 4th, 2010, 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darker_Dreams

Re: E-ville

Post by Darker_Dreams »

not actually new stuff, but related so I thought I'd kick it into the pile.
Attachments
hoodeddeath.png
hoodeddeath.png (1.38 KiB) Viewed 4182 times
death.png
death.png (1.39 KiB) Viewed 4182 times
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

These are great frankies. Someone ought to have a need for them. I might. :D good work.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
SFault

Post by SFault »

Nice frankies. Here are some comments.

Erines is rather bright unit, but the wings are very dark. Try to match the wings with the rest of the unit (or vice versa).
Necrophane's left hand looks bit blurred.
Skeleadept could have some shadowing inside the hood. Perhaps the hollow one too.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

not nearly as happy with tonights results as last nights. But these projects were more ambitious in some ways.
SFault wrote:Nice frankies. Here are some comments.

Erines is rather bright unit, but the wings are very dark. Try to match the wings with the rest of the unit (or vice versa).
Necrophane's left hand looks bit blurred.
Skeleadept could have some shadowing inside the hood. Perhaps the hollow one too.
I actually left the contrast in the erines intentionally. I'm planning on revisiting it (she originally was going to have a sword, but I decided at the last minute the one I'd gotten her wasn't cutting it and ditched it), I may do some versions with various color-shifts.
I think the muddyness you're seeing on the necrophane is probably from where I removed the original unit's staff. I might go back and clean it up if I quit coming up with new things to play with and feel motivated.
I'm not sure I can manage convincing shadowing in the skeladept's hood, meanwhile I like the flat darkness of the hollow one. I'll bear that in mind, but I doubt I'll revisit them.
Attachments
The most powerful of practitioners of the dark arts can escape death, even by violence. Doing so often carries a terrible cost in power and reduces them for a time to mere shadows of their former glory.
The most powerful of practitioners of the dark arts can escape death, even by violence. Doing so often carries a terrible cost in power and reduces them for a time to mere shadows of their former glory.
lichweight.png (1.31 KiB) Viewed 4068 times
The goal of necromancers is often assumed to be the eternal half-life of lich-hood. However, the most adept and powerful seek to break death's power over them altogether. Such mighty sorcerers can truly live forever rather than trapping themselves in some half-life.
The goal of necromancers is often assumed to be the eternal half-life of lich-hood. However, the most adept and powerful seek to break death's power over them altogether. Such mighty sorcerers can truly live forever rather than trapping themselves in some half-life.
undying.png (2.9 KiB) Viewed 4068 times
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Umm, he's wearing a very tight belt. Ether that or a corset. Remember, that robe sprite was made to fit a skeleton. :D nice work otherwise.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Issyl

Post by Issyl »

These are pretty cool.
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

Frogger5 wrote:Umm, he's wearing a very tight belt. Ether that or a corset. Remember, that robe sprite was made to fit a skeleton. :D nice work otherwise.
Like I said, I was less happy with those, though it was other things that were bigger issues for me. That said, I do know guys who are that terrifyingly skinny. ;-) :-p
Attachments
ladyshorthair.png
ladyshorthair.png (2.31 KiB) Viewed 3968 times
gorgon.png
gorgon.png (2.38 KiB) Viewed 3968 times
medusa.png
medusa.png (2.57 KiB) Viewed 3968 times
erines.zip
a variety of recolored versions of the erines (the one posted above is not included), plus a sword all cleaned up and positioned to simply be opened on top of the erines.
(19.45 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

Hollow Adept wrote:The greatest lure of black magic is the shortcut to power it represents. However, that lure draws them onto a path which has many perils. Most of those who succumb to the perils of this dark path simply lose their life or mind as they attempt to overreach the power they are ready for. Some, however, are transformed by the dark forces they seek to wield and are changed into shadows of the practitioners they once were.
Attachments
skelesoldier.png
skelesoldier.png (2.63 KiB) Viewed 3963 times
skelecaptain.png
skelecaptain.png (3.33 KiB) Viewed 3963 times
skelemarshal.png
skelemarshal.png (3.85 KiB) Viewed 3963 times
skelestandard.png
skelestandard.png (3.8 KiB) Viewed 3963 times
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

The Matron is not so much "evil," but, like the short-haired lady, is the results of my screwing around and consequently tossed in with the lot because it's the best place I've got. Actually, the matron is a re-construction of something I made some time back as part of a faction I was working on.
Attachments
matron.png
matron.png (2.98 KiB) Viewed 3940 times
demilich.png
demilich.png (2.73 KiB) Viewed 3940 times
archlich.png
archlich.png (3.23 KiB) Viewed 3940 times
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

What is the Archlich holding exactly?
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Probably a staff of some sort, but looks to me like a broken metal rod in one hand and a bowling ball in the other. :P
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

I thought it was an evil guitar... round at one end with a hole, and a long neck with a buldge on the end for tuning. He's even gripping it the right way.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

:lol2:
That's the hardest I've laughed at something on these forums in a while.
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

Zerovirus wrote:What is the Archlich holding exactly?
Yeah, I looked at that for a bit, it's a rod I found in one of the frankenpacks that's floating around. it looks something like this by itself;
blackrod.png
blackrod.png (1.14 KiB) Viewed 3857 times
I considered doing the archlich based on the wraith-s-attack-5.png, because they'd interfere with each other less that way. In retrospect probably should have. I may yet go back and do just that along with some other re-dos.
Gambit wrote:I thought it was an evil guitar... round at one end with a hole, and a long neck with a buldge on the end for tuning. He's even gripping it the right way.
You caught me, it's really a sprite for the mod I'm working on; Musicnoth. Every faction has their own theme; so far I've got the dwarves as a country group and the undead as metalheads;
Attachments
mohawk.png
mohawk.png (594 Bytes) Viewed 3857 times