Brotherhood of Light - Multiplayer RPG Scenario

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Brotherhood of Light - Multiplayer RPG Scenario (0.5.7)

Post by zookeeper »

All right, you just have to take a step after teleporting back to the monastery. Move somewhere next to Maldor and it'll be fine.
nemoyatpeace

Post by nemoyatpeace »

Thanks, I thought we had done that when we teleported to the monastery before. Thanks for the assist!
Col Lightbeam

Post by Col Lightbeam »

Bob the mighty, In your Brotherhood of light scenario, how did you make that "anti-petrify" spell work?

I am trying to make an ability that mixes your spells with "cures". In other words, in addition of anti-poison "cures", I want anti-petrify "cures" which will only be within the ability called "anti-petrification"
Mix Era Of Magic, Era of Myths, and Extended Era and you get all my favorite teams on one group! and ULTIMATE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also in the programming industry... later.
Orick

Post by Orick »

I've finished this scenario yesterday with our cousins. It was totally awesome, good work indeed.

Anyway, we found a funny bug - one of our mages had "lighting" in his attacks even if he didn't cast the spell. Was it your intension to "learn" lighting after three or four "castings" of this spell, or was it a bug?
milkybear

Post by milkybear »

Can this be played with 3 players? (rather than 4)
Orick

Post by Orick »

I think yes, because I played it with team of 3 guys. Wasn't too difficult, apart from final fight, which was a real challenge - but that's why it's a final fight :P
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Orick wrote:I've finished this scenario yesterday with our cousins. It was totally awesome, good work indeed.

Anyway, we found a funny bug - one of our mages had "lighting" in his attacks even if he didn't cast the spell. Was it your intension to "learn" lighting after three or four "castings" of this spell, or was it a bug?
No, it's a bug. If you'd to have a savefile in which the lightning hasn't been removed properly, then that'd help, although I have an idea of which might be causing it.
milkybear wrote:Can this be played with 3 players? (rather than 4)
Sure. There might be a couple of minor oddities, like some of the temporary units that join you (such as the red mages in Mount Sulphur) getting assigned to the empty side 4, but I don't think anything would prevent you from completing it with 3 players.
Orick

Post by Orick »

zookeeper wrote:
Orick wrote:I've finished this scenario yesterday with our cousins. It was totally awesome, good work indeed.

No, it's a bug. If you'd to have a savefile in which the lightning hasn't been removed properly, then that'd help, although I have an idea of which might be causing it.
No problem, I'll just ask cousin (we played hot seat on his computer) and upload it.
milkybear wrote:Can this be played with 3 players? (rather than 4)
Sure. There might be a couple of minor oddities, like some of the temporary units that join you (such as the red mages in Mount Sulphur) getting assigned to the empty side 4, but I don't think anything would prevent you from completing it with 3 players.
Yes, some units are assigned to player four, but ussualy they just randomly move and die quickly, however it's not a real problem.
milkybear

Post by milkybear »

Thank you both for your fast replies.

Is there a chance this mod can work for a 3-player PBEM game? From the surface, it seems the answer would be no. Players would miss out each other's chat dialog, and therefore all of the story elements.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

milkybear wrote:Thank you both for your fast replies.

Is there a chance this mod can work for a 3-player PBEM game? From the surface, it seems the answer would be no. Players would miss out each other's chat dialog, and therefore all of the story elements.
Yeah, not really. The other players would need to watch the replay every time to see the turn you had played, and that'd most likely be really annoying. If you'd endure that, then maybe.
milkybear

Post by milkybear »

zookeeper wrote:Yeah, not really. The other players would need to watch the replay every time to see the turn you had played, and that'd most likely be really annoying. If you'd endure that, then maybe.
That's a real bummer. I was looking forward to playing some of these RPG mods with friends over email. :augh:

Perhaps there should be a "replay last few turns" function. It would be nice, even in the World Conquest PBEMs that I'm involved in.
Araja

Post by Araja »

What's the point of playing Wesnoth via email? If you have an internet connection you might as well download Wesnoth for free and actually play the game.

Unless I'm missing something here.
Orick

Post by Orick »

Yeah, if you insist on roleplaying, then just play your roles in game, there's an option to communicate ;] What's more, Brotherhood of light is really long and it would take you ages to finish it by e-mail.

Here's the save with the bug which I mentioned before. I don't know if this file is ok, cause my cousin send me it, but I hope it will work.
milkybear

Post by milkybear »

Araja wrote:What's the point of playing Wesnoth via email? If you have an internet connection you might as well download Wesnoth for free and actually play the game.
Because it gives us something to do after a day's work? Current players don't have the time to join a server concurrently and play for an hour.
Orick wrote:Yeah, if you insist on roleplaying, then just play your roles in game, there's an option to communicate ;] What's more, Brotherhood of light is really long and it would take you ages to finish it by e-mail.
I don't think that's an issue. PBEM games typically last a year or longer. :)
Araja

Post by Araja »

I don't think I've ever understood PBEM or it's followers :?
I'll give up now.