Wesnoth 1.7.13 aka 1.8-beta6

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.7.13 aka 1.8-beta6

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.7.13 aka 1.8-beta6 is out!

This is the sixth beta for the upcoming 1.8 series. We do encourage every player to test this release and report all bugs they find so that we can still fix them before we release 1.8. Beside this content creators should start porting their work to the soon to come 1.8 series. Since we are in a feature freeze for some time already, WML should be rather stable. The add-on server was already restarted when 1.7.8 was released. Please make sure that everything you upload is compatible with 1.7.8 and later.

The main change this time does affect the multiplayer lobby (who would have guessed so?). The list of players was reworked to reduce the number of refreshes and thus make the lobby act more smoothly when many users are online. Beside this several cases of vanishing units when reloading a savegame in various campaigns should have been fixed, too. Of course there are also many other bug fixes as well as smaller improvements.

Some other important things to mention:
For the braver ones the new version offers a multiplayer port of "Legend of Wesmere". It's available when starting Wesnoth on the commandline with the "--debug" parameter. Yes, this our first included testcase of a "real" cooperative multiplayer campaign. Things are likely to not be working perfect yet, so expect some rough edges when testing it (that is why it is not available by default).
Another round of lobby updates, replaced the player lists with a new widget which allows better resize handling. This player list only has the players in the current game unfolded by default. The game list still has some issues with updating its contents in some cases, which will hopefully be fixed with the next release.
There seem to be problems with Wesnoth and boost 1.41 iostreams (especially on 64bit systems). For now we advice not to use boost 1.41 or check if your version of boost already fixed the issue (a fix should be included in archlinux and gentoo, possibly in other distributions, too)
If you experience problems with mouse events (clicking!) not working make sure to check which version of libsdl you use. If you are using libsdl-1.2.14 try downgrading to libsdl-1.2.13. The problem is reported upstream though we are grateful for any additional details you can provide especially regarding how to reproduce it (the upstream developer seems to not be able to (easily) reproduce it). Please add your information in this bug report or in one of the linked reports: https://gna.org/bugs/?14770

Of course there is also the full changelog listing (almost) all the changes since 1.7.12. A changelog with changes that might be visible to most users (and only includes these) is the players changelog.

Downloads
Sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... 2/download (264.8 MB) md5sum
Here is the xDelta for the sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... a/download (1.7.12 to 1.7.13, 3.2 MB)
Check http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for info on using xdelta.

The Windows package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The MacOSX package is already available. You can find it on the download page.

Many of the Linux packages have already been created. All known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them work you get on the Linux binaries site for the Linux binaries. Download links for the other supported systems will be listed at the downloads page once the binaries are available.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ - you should first try to get files through SourceForge to help us save bandwidth. Please get the files from sourceforge.net if possible.

The multiplayer server for 1.7.13 is already up and running. This server can be used to play with all versions since 1.7.8. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

A new add-on server was started when 1.7.8-beta1 was released. All content uploaded to this new server should be compatible with the following 1.7.x beta releases, release candidates for 1.8, as well as the final 1.8.x series. If you encounter any problems with content from the add-on server not working as expected, please notify the content's author, most of them should be here in the forums.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to post bugs first. Instructions for bug reporting can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs.

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don't do any good, so better not ask them...
Bugreports in the forums tend to get forgotten. You will get better results by following the guidelines and report them in the bugtracker.
ghyr-easeus

Re: Wesnoth 1.7.13 aka 1.8-beta6

Post by ghyr-easeus »

Thank you. Thank you for all you made to Wesnoth. Please accept my thanks. I'm awaiting for the final 1.8 release.
<Falling on knees>
Nabo0o

Post by Nabo0o »

Me too!
But I don't want to upgrade ubuntu to use it ;(
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Well if you don't wanna download 1.8 and find it has some big bug that's obvious to you, you should try try 1.7.13 and report all the bugs you find!
Zero_G

Post by Zero_G »

Thanks guys, keep up this wonderful piece of art... Wesnoth is still my favourite fantasy role-playing game!! :mrgreen:

... waiting for the coming of the 1.8 version ...
-=[ Zero_G ]=-
Asgeirr

Post by Asgeirr »

Thank you guys for this awesome game! Just downloaded it for my phone too!
King_Elendil

Post by King_Elendil »

Hey, I feel like this is probably a stupid question, but I have not played for a long time so please forgive me :? . I just upgraded to BfW 1.6.5 :mrgreen: and I noticed that there was no map editor :( (by the way if it makes any difference I'm a mac user). I enjoyed the map editor very much in my older version and was disappointed that there was no editor. Is there a separate download for the map editor :hmm: or can i just try to rig-up my old one with the new terrains (if that will work)?
Last edited by King_Elendil on February 26th, 2010, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm finally admitting that this will be a very long (if not permanent) Wesbreak. Thank y'all for the great times, and may Wesnoth rise to become one of the most popular games on the planet.
Zero_G

Post by Zero_G »

King_Elendil wrote:Hey, I feel like this is probably a stupid question, but I have not played for a long time so please forgive me :? . Ijust upgraded to BfW 1.6.5 :mrgreen: and I noticed that there was no map editor :( (by the way if it makes any difference I'm a mac user). I enjoyed the map editor very much in my older version and was disappointed that there was no editor. Is there a separate download for the map editor :hmm: or can i just try to rig-up my old one with the new terrains (if that will work)?
If you launch Wesnoth, the Map Editor should be in the Main Menu... what items do you see there?
-=[ Zero_G ]=-
King_Elendil

Post by King_Elendil »

:lol2: omg I feel so stupid! It was right there the whole time! :mrgreen: thank you for pointing that out to me! That's so awesome that they put it in the game. :lol2:
I'm finally admitting that this will be a very long (if not permanent) Wesbreak. Thank y'all for the great times, and may Wesnoth rise to become one of the most popular games on the planet.
Zero_G

Post by Zero_G »

King_Elendil wrote::lol2: omg I feel so stupid! It was right there the whole time! :mrgreen: thank you for pointing that out to me! That's so awesome that they put it in the game. :lol2:
I do not own a Mac, but on Windows you can also launch it directly from the "Map Editor" item added to your Start Menu, which is in fact a shortcut for the command line option "wesnoth.exe -e" :wink:
-=[ Zero_G ]=-
King_Elendil

Post by King_Elendil »

Yeah that is something that doesn't work on a mac (mainly because we don't have a start menu)

By the way, I knew it was a stupid question! :lol2:
Joewoof

Post by Joewoof »

Wow, this must be the longest beta period of any game I've ever played. :hmm: I've been checking the site daily for the past 2 months now. Damn.

Release date, please?
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Joewoof wrote:Wow, this must be the longest beta period of any game I've ever played. :hmm: I've been checking the site daily for the past 2 months now. Damn.

Release date, please?
"It is ready when it is ready" - there will be no release date anounced long before. And to have easier checking, get an RSS reader and add the Wesnoth main page feed to it.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The beta is long because the new MP lobby remains buggy. Until it is no longer buggy, we will remain in beta.

As pauxlo said - IIRWIIR.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
pinkdwarf

Post by pinkdwarf »

The new lobby is great! The change to whispering especially should make life easier.