iPhone version support/feedback thread: Ep. 3

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Cur10s1ty

Re: iPhone port, Episode 3

Post by Cur10s1ty »

Yes, I believe you have to flee to the southwest corner. However, there is no sign post there either.

I also confirm the bug on the Liberty campaign where it hangs right before the Hide and Seek scenario. It shows the map and you see the dots march down below the edge of the screen. Then it completely hangs and you can't proceed. I've tried restarting from the end of the prior campaign, but it doesn't seem to help. I'm running the latest version of the game on the iPhone (Episode 3: Dead Water) and am running on an iPhone 3GS with plenty of free memory.
JemDaddyO

Post by JemDaddyO »

I asked this on the other thread right before this version came out and that thread become obsolete. Has anyone finished the Scepter of Fire campaign on the iPhone? I can't get past the Gathering resources scenario. I have scoured the map and cannot find the second coal hex required.

I have read that the map randomly generates. is that true on the ipHOne and is there a glitch related to that?
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

If you are getting a hang when loading or after the intro text, try just letting it go for a minute or two or three. I am investigating why a few scenarios take a long time to load. I have heard back from other people that they confirmed it was not hanging, just taking a really long time to load...

As for crashes with saved games from the old version, the problem is likely in the saved game. You might need to restart the scenario over again... Replays were removed because they take up increasingly large amounts of memory as time goes on.

The multiplayer chat was disabled because Apple started requiring a 17+ rating on the game if it includes unfiltered chat. So the easiest solution was to disable chat until I can implement a filter.

For Episode 4 I am working on a complete UI overhaul to be more iPhone friendly for people with fat fingers and poor eyesight :lol2: ...
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

KylePoole wrote:The multiplayer chat was disabled because Apple started requiring a 17+ rating on the game if it includes unfiltered chat. So the easiest solution was to disable chat until I can implement a filter.
You could have two versions: one with unfiltered chat for the ones old enough, one without chat. (And the one without chat should maybe inform other players about this, sending a "this player can't receive your chat messages" as an auto response on the first message in a game.)
spod

Post by spod »

Just a quick update: I posted on this forum a few times to slag off the original version of Wesnoth for the iphone, so it's only fair if I come back and say how brilliant I think the game is, now that Kyle has released the new version. There are a few little problems still, but I'm obsessed with the game (my first time playing Wesnoth) and I constantly miss my bus stop.

Please can I have a note for my boss to explain?
JemDaddyO

Post by JemDaddyO »

Kyle,

I thought that you had updated the app in the last release to save on exit, especially if a phone call interrupts the game, but that doesn't appear to be working.

Also, any chance in the next release updates you will enhance the color differences on the various selection screens? Currently, the highlighted selection is barely distinguishable from the rest. I see this on the load screen and on any scenario where a choice needs to be made. Also, the scroll bar is often not very discernible. This may just be me because I keep my iPhone brightness turned way down to save on battery life, but a simple color change ought to fix the issue.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

spod wrote:Just a quick update: I posted on this forum a few times to slag off the original version of Wesnoth for the iphone, so it's only fair if I come back and say how brilliant I think the game is, now that Kyle has released the new version. There are a few little problems still, but I'm obsessed with the game (my first time playing Wesnoth) and I constantly miss my bus stop.

Please can I have a note for my boss to explain?
Let him mess with your iPhone and Wesnoth for a week or so. Pretty soon it'll be him showing up late, not you. :P
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Bug report: Hide and Seek on Liberty refuses to load. I get to the map screen, and once I press any of the buttons, the game freezes up.

Man we need someone to run all the campaigns and tell about the errors.
501st_alpha1

Post by 501st_alpha1 »

Zachron wrote:Pre-existing Wesnoth fandom has been an insignificant factor, seeing as, for more than 90% of the people who have downloaded this app, this is literally their first exposure to Wesnoth; additionally, the majority of pre-existing Wesnoth fans don't own iphones.
I don't know where you got those numbers, but I am one of the (few?) people who fits into neither of those categories, as I played Wesnoth before I got the app, and I have an iPhone.
KylePoole wrote:If you are getting a hang when loading or after the intro text, try just letting it go for a minute or two or three. I am investigating why a few scenarios take a long time to load. I have heard back from other people that they confirmed it was not hanging, just taking a really long time to load...
Sweet! It works! Thanks!

I have made it through several of the next scenarios without any (technical) problems.
KylePoole wrote:For Episode 4 I am working on a complete UI overhaul to be more iPhone friendly for people with fat fingers and poor eyesight :lol2: ...
I'm looking forward to it.

@ Zerovirus: Did you try leaving it for a minute or so and see if it loaded?
Yojimbo252 wrote:...multiplayer asynchronous play with push notifications...
I never heard... are there any plans for this?
KylePoole wrote:Replays were removed because they take up increasingly large amounts of memory as time goes on.
I'm not sure if you mean "as more and more replays are saved" or "as a replay file gets bigger and bigger". If it is the former, then this would fix it:
JKT wrote:Some way to export (and import) your save games
If it is the latter, then maybe you could split them up into a file every turn (or three, or five...) and then merge them at the end?

Edit: I have now finished the Liberty campaign, and there were no more bugs.
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

Zerovirus wrote:Bug report: Hide and Seek on Liberty refuses to load. I get to the map screen, and once I press any of the buttons, the game freezes up.
That scenario is randomly generated by WML and takes a while to process. It will load if you let it run for a minute or so. For the next update, I just added a "please be patient" message in the story part before it loads :lol2:
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

KylePoole wrote:That scenario is randomly generated by WML and takes a while to process. It will load if you let it run for a minute or so. For the next update, I just added a "please be patient" message in the story part before it loads :lol2:
I don't suppose it'd be possible to add some kind of in-game "please be patient" box whenever heavy WML calculations are required at the start of a scenario? Perhaps set on a scenario-by-scenario basis?
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
jayce

Post by jayce »

Some more little bugs :
- with OpenFeint, I won a 1000 unit killed award when I had only 100 ! :-)
- when there is long text dialogs (under the burning suns. Or at the end of Dead Water), the text is truncated.
- the autosave on quit (incoming call or with home button) save with the same savename than the autosave on the start of levels. So we could lost a good autosave because of an incoming call.
- still no way to see if a unit is chaotic or else.
--
Jayce Piel - MosX.org
spod

Post by spod »

OK, I've got one:
In the Scepter of Fire, Konrad died when the molten lava expanded, ending the scenario. But there was no animation or text explaining what had happened, so I got all confused.
501st_alpha1

Post by 501st_alpha1 »

Something I forgot to mention in my last post:
In the Liberty campaign, when it shows the map while the scenario is loading, you can't see where the trail goes starting at Hide and Seek, because it goes off the South edge of the map. I think the map needs to be shifted downwards, and perhaps zoomed in.
Also, in the last version, I could not get Skirmish mode to work; it would crash after the first options screen. However, in this version, it has been fixed.
Keep up the good work.
jayce

Post by jayce »

That make me think another bug :
In Dead Water, the ways are not shown on maps at the start of scenarii...
--
Jayce Piel - MosX.org