So I'm starting to work on a campaign...

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

colin345

So I'm starting to work on a campaign...

Post by colin345 »

The problem is, I have never been very creative with simple things. The only problem I have at this point in time is names...
I already have all the plot (more or less). So right now, I just need some good dwarven names (around 5-10 is all I need for the whole story).

Also, I'm having trouble finding a list of dwarf rulers in the Wesnoth history, so if someone could point out where I can find the list that would be extremely helpful.

Thanks.
TheGreatRings

Re: So I'm starting to work on a campaign...

Post by TheGreatRings »

colin345 wrote:The problem is, I have never been very creative with simple things. The only problem I have at this point in time is names...
I already have all the plot (more or less). So right now, I just need some good dwarven names (around 5-10 is all I need for the whole story).
I have the same problem as a writer.
Also, I'm having trouble finding a list of dwarf rulers in the Wesnoth history, so if someone could point out where I can find the list that would be extremely helpful.

Thanks.
To the best of my knowledge there is no such list, though I may be wrong.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Open a game starring Dwarves, make some units - the random name generator will give you some idea. Keep recruiting until you have some names you like.

There is no such list. The only canonical dwarvish material is tSoF, NR and tHoT.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

colin345 wrote:The problem is, I have never been very creative with simple things. The only problem I have at this point in time is names...

Thanks.
Well, there is a list of parts of dwarves names, for the random generator. I just don't remember where :oops: ...
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Jarkko

Post by Jarkko »

Well, there is a list of parts of dwarves names, for the random generator. I just don't remember where :oops: ...
data/core/macros/names.cfg

There they are :)
| My Art Corner | The White Lich (Fan Fic) |
Translating Wesnoth into finnish
colin345

Post by colin345 »

Thanks, that helps a lot! So does that mean I can create the dwarf king's name?
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

if you don't intend him to be the same as one of those starring in mainline campaigns (quite likely) then yes

..a word came to me, said it was "Kragni", it's looking for a good home xD
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

StDrake wrote:..a word came to me, said it was "Kragni", it's looking for a good home xD
That sounds more like a gryphon name. Or dwarvish I suppose...
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Hurin Hammerfist
Coll Mc Granite
Benjen Coalthrush
Sara of Axecrushing (courtesy of Danielle)
Berin Hardhound
Gone Blackhammer
The Kagan
The Fingen
Ruin the Skullcrusher
Gombli Thewbreaker
Ailil Menhirtoss
Mass Trollbane
Hurizh
Reagan Alegallon
Spillax Fathergallow
Black Adze the Breaker
Red Adze the Grinder
Camli Alequench
Kogan Stonehammer
Hamli Whitebeard
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

They sound a lot like viking names. Then again, they have a few similarities with the dwarfs. Things such as craftsmanship, berserkers all that jive. I've also noticed that the berserker's portrait looks Celtic, being nearly naked with no armor, and being painted (or tattooed), and having white spiky hair. Was that intentional?
As for names, there are lots of places you can pick them up. I even stole some from the australian open this year. MURNAD (Murray, Nadal, HEWFED (Hewitt, Federer). I tend to find it's harder to find good ones when you think directly about it. Names are easier discovered then created.
So yer, just a bit of my advice.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Yes, it was an intentional look for the Berserker.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Frogger5 wrote:They sound a lot like viking names. Then again, they have a few similarities with the dwarfs. Things such as craftsmanship, berserkers all that jive. I've also noticed that the berserker's portrait looks Celtic, being nearly naked with no armor, and being painted (or tattooed), and having white spiky hair. Was that intentional?
As for names, there are lots of places you can pick them up. I even stole some from the australian open this year. MURNAD (Murray, Nadal, HEWFED (Hewitt, Federer). I tend to find it's harder to find good ones when you think directly about it. Names are easier discovered then created.
So yer, just a bit of my advice.
Then again, even Tolkien used names from the Eda for his dwarves (Gimli, Gloin etc)
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.