iPhone version support/feedback thread: Ep. 3

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Re: iPhone port, Episode 3

Post by StandYourGround »

Just want to post about the new version... runs very well in SP. In MP, I get a lot of lag, but observing games is very doable.
I will now resume lurking silently.
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

I know of one other person that has had trouble installing the game. Obviously this is a problem with iPhone, not the game itself. Here are the steps to fix it:

- make sure you have at least 400mb free on your device
- power off then power on your device
- download the update from iTunes on your PC or Mac. This is the most important step. It is a 200mb file, if it didn't work right the first time, then redownload it. You MUST use your PC or Mac, trying to download 200mb directly on your device is kind of silly, even through wifi...
- after syncing to your device, power it off again and then back on

Please update your 1 star review when you get it working. Thanks.

So many people have rated it 5 stars because they have been following my work and can see it improving every time, and really enjoy playing it. Also, to clarify, there are different App Stores for each country, and I know I received a 1 star review that was in German that was totally useless to me, but I'm assuming it was because they couldn't figure out how to install it...
jayce

Post by jayce »

KylePoole wrote:So many people have rated it 5 stars because they have been following my work and can see it improving every time, and really enjoy playing it. Also, to clarify, there are different App Stores for each country, and I know I received a 1 star review that was in German that was totally useless to me, but I'm assuming it was because they couldn't figure out how to install it...
In France, it has 4 stars, but most of the 3-2-1 stars voting are for the 1.0 or 1.1 version. Every review for the 1.2 or 1.3 are with 4 or 5 stars...
--
Jayce Piel - MosX.org
JKT

Post by JKT »

Zarel wrote:<snip>
I tried iTunes once, it didn't seem like you needed to own an iPhone to rate an iPhone app...
<snip>
You can't rate any apps unless you have already downloaded and installed them. So, I'm afraid, your ill-informed guesswork on the basis of not really having used iTunes at all is completely wrong.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

During the installation phase, all that is being done is file copying. No application code is being run, so any failure can't possibly be the fault of the application. Kyle has an excellent set of steps for fixing this.

I think that all in all, Kyle deserves congratulations for sticking to the port, for listening to users and updating problems as well as adding improvements. In previous versions there were lots of 5 star ratings, but also some 1-3 star ratings, with almost all such reviews saying things like "this could be a 5-star game, but there are speed and stability problems so I'm giving it a lower rating." Given that Kyle has worked hard and eradicated most all the speed and stability problems it is natural that almost all reviews of the latest version are 5 stars.

What will probably happen next is the high ratings will cause Wesnoth to be tried by a broader user base, who may give it lower ratings simply because it's not "their style of game" and/or because other issues will come to the fore -- some people will (justifiably) complain that the UI could be better suited to the iPhone and others will be unhappy with the combat system.

I would like to reiterate that I think Kyle has done an excellent job making a high quality Wesnoth port to the iPhone, and has done very well in listening to and responding to user feedback.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
501st_alpha1

Post by 501st_alpha1 »

Now that Episode 3 is out, here is my feedback for the game.
In my iTunes review, I wrote:This was one of the games that I thought couldn't be ported to the iPhone. I am happy to say, I was wrong. It's not perfect though, see below.

If you liked the PC version of Battle for Wesnoth, then you will like this port. As others have said though, it is still buggy. If you have not played BfW before, then I recommend trying the PC version first. There is now also a lite version, with the tutorial and one campaign.

Here's my recommendations to the developer:
1) Speed/stability: The current version is still pretty slow. Keep in mind that I have a 3GS. The scrolling especially needs to be improved. Also, it has crashed or frozen multiple times on me, to the point where I can't finish a campaign because it crashes or freezes every time.
2) Controls: The controls were directly ported from the PC version, but they should be optimized for the iPhone. I suggest the following: Change the display to portrait. At the top would be a status bar, perhaps taking up two lines. At the bottom are three tabs (think: the tabs at the bottom of the App Store app, or the Phone app): Map, Status, and Unit. Map is the default and is where all the gameplay takes place. Status has all the stuff that is usually at the top of the right-hand panel, plus whatever won't fit in the status bar. Unit shows detailed info about the current unit. These tabs could easily be stylized to match the look of the menu elements. Keep in mind that this is just a suggestion; someone else could probably come up with a better way to do it.
3) Damage Calculations: This is small compared to the other two, but I do miss that button!
4) Game Saves: I wish there was some way to import game saves/replays from the PC version, and vice versa. Maybe this can be done through an online server, or maybe you can trick the PC and iPhone into thinking it's a multiplayer game.
5) Zoom: It would be nice to be able to zoom in and out, even if it was only between a couple preset zooms.

Currently I give it four stars. Do number 2, and I'll give you another star. Do numbers 3 & 5, and I'll give you a pat on the back. :) Do number 4 and I'll give you a sixth star (ha ha).
Now for some more details. I started the Liberty campaign in the previous version, and I would finish the scenario Unlawful Orders, then it would freeze before the next scenario (Hide and Seek) could start loading. In the current version, it will load and show the campaign map, which indicates where you are in the campaign. Then it freezes. However, if I go back to the Load menu, there is a new Auto-Save-Turn-1 for the next scenario. If I load that, then I get a map covered with fog, and the top 5 to 10 hexes are water. There is a ship on the left-hand side which I can move around, and the hex it starts on also shows a ship (so the hex looks the same even after I move the ship). Keep in mind that I have not played this campaign before, so I don't know what it is supposed to look like. I have tried all the suggestions in previous posts (reset iPhone, delete game saves, turn off effects, etc.) with the same result.

Also, I don't know if I just missed it, but I don't see the option to save replays after completion of a scenario anymore. Was that option removed, and if so, why?
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Nice idea with releasing one-campaign-only addons. You could consider releasing other 30-total-mission campaign packs for .99 each and include an advertisement For the main BfW versions at the end of each.
Peter the Great

Post by Peter the Great »

I was wondering why you can't talk when on multiplayer. It's rather annoying especially on team games where you can't talk strategy with your teammates. It's also annoying that you can hear the sound that means someone else has said something, but you can't see what they said.
Latin:LVDVMAMISI (pronounced Loo-dum amee-C)
French: J'ai perdu le jeu.
English: I lost the game.
Jef

Post by Jef »

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the update! I'm really enjoying the game and I'm looking forward playing the new campaign :)

I do have a question regarding the Heir to the Throne-campaign. Despite the buggy performance in some scenario's, I persevered and after many crashes and reboots I reached the Home of the North Elves scenario. Even after deleting saved games, turning off all animations and sounds, using the scan lite app and creating enough space on the HD, the game keep crashing in the third turn. In the second turn, you get a lot off dialogue. After some reboots and quick tapping through the dialogue scenes, I managed to get to the third round. Everytime I load this turn, the game crashes (ranging from direct crash from the start of the third turn to a complete slow down of the program after moving 1 unit, with the inevitable crash).
I've hoped the new update would solve this problem, but it didn't :(

I was wondering if you have any suggestions to solve this problem? Or do I have to wait for the next update for this bugfix?

Thx,
JKT

Post by JKT »

I can't get this part of the campaign to load either. My save game for Turn 1 and auto-save for turn 2 both crash immediately at the end of the loading process. iPhone 3G. Doesn't matter if I restart the phone in Airport mode, etc.
Zero_G

Post by Zero_G »

The game was flawlessly upgraded from the previous version and it runs great on iPhone 3G, congratulations! :)

However I noticed a little problem that it's not present in the current desktop version...

Legend of Wesmere - first scenario: Kalenz need to be conducted to the north-west signpost, but the little sign is not displayed on the map and even if the hero successfully reached it, the mission doesn't end... maybe it's related with the missing placement of its position in the correct hex.
I attached a screenshot showing that I managed to make Kalenz reach the upper-left corner of the map, but the "End Scenario" panel doesn't popup (in fact, I was pityless crushed by the overwhelming orc horde in a few turns... :annoyed: )

I hope someone else can reproduce and hopefully fix this glitch... regards! :eng:
Attachments
Img001_320x480.jpg
Img001_320x480.jpg (346.54 KiB) Viewed 3833 times
Last edited by Zero_G on February 15th, 2010, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-=[ Zero_G ]=-
dreampilot

Post by dreampilot »

Haven't been around for ages but noticed Wesnoth is now available for the iphone. Great!

How is the pricing set up though? who gets paid if I buy this version?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The money is split between the project and the developer who's doing the work - after apple have taken their cut, of course.

I don't remember the exact distribution, but it's a very equitable arrangement.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

@Zero_G - Wait, I thought you had to get him to the south-west... maybe it's different on the iPhone. :hmm: (I actually haven't even played the iPhone version... :cry: )
Zero_G

Post by Zero_G »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:@Zero_G - Wait, I thought you had to get him to the south-west... maybe it's different on the iPhone. :hmm: (I actually haven't even played the iPhone version... :cry: )
mmhh.. that's good point! I didn't even look at the bottom right corner, because I remembered the desktop version... I'll check it out restarting the scenario and I'll tell you! :wink:
-=[ Zero_G ]=-