Campaign: Love To Death

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Geos

After so long

Post by Geos »

Ok, I'm back, after so long...

And I'm back to find that we are in another version of BfW. So I said, fine, let's migrate the campaign to the new version, and now I'm in the process of it.
I installed 1.5.9 and started to migrate the code, first with wmllint and then with the necessary manual changes.
So far I'm up to scenario 5. I found some errors that I could fix, but other were not that obvious, because the game would just crash.
I found out that 1.5.9 is quite picky about variable, so I made sure to clear any unnecessary variables. With this I made some improvements:
- In scenario 2, recruit is not allowed in enemy keeps. When trying to recruit the game would crash. Clearing variables from past secenarios seemed to work with that. Doesn't crash anymore.
- In scenario 4, when recruiting, and 4th slot would show up, without any icon, and with 0gp as a price. Clicking there would make the game to crash. Again, solved after clearing all possible variables

But, in scenario 5, the initial dialog ends up with an [option]. And here the scenario loads, dialog runs until arriving to the part with the option, and there it crashes. Why? no idea, no error message, no nothing. I compared the code with the tutorial, and I have no idea if thre is anything wrong there.

I attach a zip file with the campaign so far, just in case someone want to give it a try. I would like to fix this before proceeding with other scenarios.
Here also the code where the game crashes, just in case there is an obvious mistake there.

Code: Select all

[message]
            id=Aleva
            message= _ "I do not know what to do. I think my father is wrong but still, is my father."
            [option]
                message= _ "Father, I do not want to do this, but you tricked me. You sent me to the swamps and then marched North. Please, return to Karenin, or I will fight you."
                [command]
                    [set_variable]
                        name=Aleva_fought_Kaliostali
                        value=yes
                    [/set_variable]
                    [modify_side]
                        side=1
                        team_name=dasoi
                    [/modify_side]
                    [set_recruit]
                        recruit=DasoiHunter,DasoiFighter,DasoiScout,DasoiShaman,DasoiScout
                        side=1
                    [/set_recruit]
                [/command]
            [/option]
            [option]
                message= _ "Master, you know I admire you, but I can not turn my back on my family. Surrender please, and we will work this out. Do not rise your powers against my father, or I will fight you."
                [command]
                    [set_variable]
                        name=Aleva_fought_Kaliostali
                        value=no
                    [/set_variable]
                    [modify_side]
                        side=1
                        team_name=loyal
                    [/modify_side]
                    [set_recruit]
                        recruit=Spearman,Bowman,Horseman,Peasant
                        side=1
                    [/set_recruit]
                [/command]
            [/option]
        [/message]
I know this maybe should go into WML Workshop, but is also related with the campaign, so I decided to place it here so far.

Thanks for all feedback
Attachments
LTD.tar.gz
(1.74 MiB) Downloaded 297 times
That's ridiculous, dragons have no windows...
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Campaign: Love To Death

Post by Iris »

Use 1.5.10. 1.5.9 crashes with dialogs containing long options.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Geos

Post by Geos »

Again the same problem

It got solved with 1.5.10, but then once again I found the same proble, don't know why, I upgraded to 1.5.11, but it still crashes, in another scenario, but in the same place.

The program just shuts down.

[message]
	id=Aleva
	[option]
	   [message]
      		message= _ "I want power to control my own life and death."
	   [/message]
	[/option]
        [option]
	   [message]
      		message= _ "I want power to protect my own people from fear and threats."
	   [/message]
	[/option]
    [/message]
am I lacking something?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

It is invalid WML usage indeed (but it should not crash the game unless the GUI2 engine is buggy).

The correct code should be, IIRC:

message]
	id=Aleva
	message= _ "<Possibly the lack of this is the cause of the crash, not sure...>"
	[option]
		message= _ "I want power to control my own life and death."
		[command]
			# WML actions to be taken.
		[/command]
	[/option]
	[option]
		message= _ "I want power to protect my own people from fear and threats."
		[command]
			# WML actions to be taken.
		[/command]
	[/option]
[/message]
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Geos

Post by Geos »

Ok, announcement. Let's put some icons to call the attention of the reader...

:!: NEW RELEASE :!:

Love To Death is a growing campaing. So far 12 scenarios are uploaded to the server. You will need BfW 1.5 in order to play. Two arcs of the story are covered so, even if you can't finish the campaign now, at least it doesn't just hang there. The end of the second arc is quite a something in fact.

For newcomers, this is the story of Aleva, mage apprentice. She will see herself involved into a love story that will go beyond the gates of death. A story where characters are never just good or bad, and it is hard to judge properly or to take the right decissions.

In fact, this campaign is not intended for kids. I has no content that could be considered as offensive, but the characters are shaped in a more adult way.

So, please, download it, play it and enjoy.
If you like it so much that you want to contribute with art or anything else, feel welcome (I know I have little chances or colaboration, but it is worth the try :P ).

--------------------------------

And now, the technical help.
Music for this campaign goes in a different add-on, but for some reason Wesnoth doesn't seem to like this particual Add-on, and just doesn't list it to upload. I have created the PBL file, with the same name of the folder where the music is. I have added the tag type=media. Of course, inside the music folder there are only .ogg files, no .cfg. Is it required now in 1.5?

Ok, enjoy.

Smiley exterminators. Coming soon to a store near you.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Are you really sure it's the same name (particularly, if you are using a case sensitive filesystem under Unix or MacOS X)? What happens if you rename it to _server.pbl and drop it inside the add-on directory (e.g. data/campaigns/Addon_Name/_server.pbl)?
Geos

Post by Geos »

Pretty much the same nothingness as before...

Now I have a _server inside the add-on directory, and another one with the directory name in data/campaings

And yes, I use Linux, and I have double checked the caps... still no luck. The very weird thing is that the other add-on, the campaing, works with no problem
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Can you post the code (minus the passphrase, of course!)?
Geos

Post by Geos »

title="LTD Music"
icon="items/staff.png"
version="1.0"
author="Various"
passphrase=" "
description="Music for campaign Love To Death. Downloady and copy to the /music folder of Love To Death. All music is take from the Wesnoth music creation thread in the forum" 
type=media
email="***********"
And this is it more or less. Maybe there is some small fail and I just can't get to catch it.
By the way, title, folder and file are called the same. I guess the value of title= is irrelevant, right?

the directory structure is

/home/myusername/.wesnothX.XX.XX/data/campaigns/LTD_Music.pbl
/home/myusername/.wesnothX.XX.XX/data/campaigns/LTD_Music/(Some .ogg files here)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Create an empty LTD_Music.cfg or LTD_Music/_main.cfg and see what happens.

And move the .ogg to the LTD_Music/music subdirectory, and do some magic in the real campaign's _main.cfg to have them recognized properly. Asking users to do post-installation procedures is evil.

#ifdef YOUR_CAMPAIGN_DEFINE

[binary_path]
    path="data/campaigns/Love_to_Death"
[/binary_path]
[binary_path]
    path="data/campaigns/LTD_Music"
[/binary_path]
Last edited by Iris on March 1st, 2009, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Emphasize evil.
Geos

Post by Geos »

Ok, we made some progress, but I still got an error.
Now the Add-on interface recognized the LTD Music package, but I got an error saying that the name of the Add-on was not valid... after uploading the whole lot!!

Well, what does it mean that the Name is not valid? is it the name of the file or the string that goes with the Title tag.

btw, good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I should also include it in the list of dependencies
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Geos wrote:Ok, we made some progress, but I still got an error.
Now the Add-on interface recognized the LTD Music package, but I got an error saying that the name of the Add-on was not valid... after uploading the whole lot!!
There was a bug with converting the addon name to lower case which made it invalid. That's fixed now.

About uploading the whole thing before getting an error message... I'm afraid that is not fixable with the current design/protocol.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
syrano

Post by syrano »

How to intall it in wesnoth 1.6 or 1.7?
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

syrano wrote:How to intall it in wesnoth 1.6 or 1.7?
For 1.6, download it from the 1.5 server: http://www.wesnoth.org/addons/
Then move the folder to userdata->campaigns folder of 1.6.

For 1.7, this is a nice campaign, but you probably have to wait until Geos updates it to the 1.7/1.8 server.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
syrano

Post by syrano »

SkyOne wrote:
syrano wrote:How to intall it in wesnoth 1.6 or 1.7?
For 1.6, download it from the 1.5 server: http://www.wesnoth.org/addons/
Then move the folder to userdata->campaigns folder of 1.6.

For 1.7, this is a nice campaign, but you probably have to wait until Geos updates it to the 1.7/1.8 server.
Thank you. :) Do you know to install the music of LTD in wesnoth 1.6.