Free Orchestral Soundfonts

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PPH

Re: Free Orchestral Soundfonts

Post by PPH »

Sounds good. Are you a fan of Jerry Goldsmith? The second part of this piece, though at first seems to be a little Hans Zimmer-esque, turns out quite Jerry Goldsmith-esque, I think.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

PPH wrote:Sounds good. Are you a fan of Jerry Goldsmith? The second part of this piece, though at first seems to be a little Hans Zimmer-esque, turns out quite Jerry Goldsmith-esque, I think.
Well I haven't listened to him actively, but I have seen many movies he's scored so I am probably subconsciously familiar with his work. I couldn't name a really well-known piece of his though, and for some reason I keep confusing him with James Horner.
CheeseLord

Post by CheeseLord »

Awesome Soundfonts!!!! The selection is incredible considering it's all free!!

BUG??: the harp link doesn't work in the misc. section.

The cheapo heaven for composers - I'll spread the world if you're sure the server can handle lots of people :wink:
Lord of Cheese.....especially Parmesan!!!
None shall stand against the Dwarfs in their homeland

Top 3 quotes by a developer:

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"
CheeseLord

Post by CheeseLord »

Cool Demo!!!
I'll chip in with this: http://www.box.net/shared/b7pca97506 as well. A very Siege of Laurelmor like extract

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, do you know about the licencing of the samples on the website, specifically on whether you arer allowed to compose for commercial games, as long as you DO NOT MAKE ANY PROFIT OUT OF THEM
Lord of Cheese.....especially Parmesan!!!
None shall stand against the Dwarfs in their homeland

Top 3 quotes by a developer:

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

CheeseLord wrote:BUG??: the harp link doesn't work in the misc. section.
Fixed.

-Tyler
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

CheeseLord wrote:EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, do you know about the licencing of the samples on the website, specifically on whether you arer allowed to compose for commercial games, as long as you DO NOT MAKE ANY PROFIT OUT OF THEM
Everything on the site has been released for free on various sites over the years. I have no way of knowing the exact licensing restrictions of the various files since 99% of them came without any license info. So until someone shows up and says "stop redistributing my samples!" I'm just going to assume that they may all be used freely. Which is a silly notion in any case because as we all know, what goes on the internet stays on the internet. If you publish something and say "be my guest, use this", you can't just change your mind, make the file(s) unavailable and pretend like it never happened.

But it's a good thing you brought it up because I *do* know that restrictions may apply to some files. The G-Town samples are CC-sampling licensed, and I think we're required to inform people about that. That's the only ones that have a specific license attached to them AFAIK. I'll have a look at that.

Also, the ProjectSAM stuff are basically demos from their commercial libraries. So I suggest that if you find their samples useful, do consider buying them because they're kickass and good sample developers deserve your support.
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

Good job, I think it would be better if we have a torrent that has all the samplers. Anyway it's just a suggestion.
Greats!
Listen to the music
O que faz de mim ser o que sou. É gostar de ir por onde ninguém for
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

In case anyone's interested, I extended and finished the short piece I posted earlier in this thread. It uses only free samples, though not all of them available on the site yet.
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

It says the file is not avaliable.
Anyway I have a song made entirly with SSO and EpicVerb. See you.
Listen to the music
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

Tried now and the link works fine. Amazing sound, I just think that the trombones sample used has only 1 dynamic layer, I think a good way to make trombones sounding good is mix section trombones with quality solo trombones(I think uoi is great). Anyway it's just my opinion.
Listen to the music
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

A clap soundfont by myself, it's not so good but effetive when put lots of reverb.
http://www.4shared.com/file/sYyT2cwO/claps.html
Works on C3 or C4 ... medium C whatever.
Listen to the music
Parduz

Post by Parduz »

I'd like to add Squidfont to the list.
I like it a lot. The only cons it have (imho) is that it have only relatively slow attack samples, so it is not usable for fast passages.
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

Parduz, we yet talked about squidfont here in wesnoth forum. Mattias(west) made a nice compilation of free soundfonts from the net that He called SSO. Take a look at this forum topic, In my opinion they are realy better than Squidfont. I suggest you contact west about SSO if you need some good free samples.

* My last song was made entirely using SSO
Listen to the music
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Woah. This is way better than scrounging around Hammersounds trying to find links which aren't broken. Thanks!

As a side note, you can use .sf2 files in Logic. Load them with the EXS24 sampler (place them in the Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments, select EXS24, double-click on the EXS24 label on the left-hand side of the screen, load the files).
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Parduz wrote:I'd like to add Squidfont to the list.
I like it a lot. The only cons it have (imho) is that it have only relatively slow attack samples, so it is not usable for fast passages.
Squidfont was ripped from the commercial Miroslav library. I think people should be aware of that before downloading it.
marcusvinicius wrote:Parduz, we yet talked about squidfont here in wesnoth forum. Mattias(west) made a nice compilation of free soundfonts from the net that He called SSO. Take a look at this forum topic, In my opinion they are realy better than Squidfont. I suggest you contact west about SSO if you need some good free samples.

* My last song was made entirely using SSO
marcusvinicius, I know you only mean well. But I must ask you to please stop telling people to use the SSO soundfonts. I have stated several times on this forum that I'm not working on it anymore, and it was never more than a crude beta. The soundfonts on freesf2 are fifty times better than SSO, please use them instead.