Legend of Wesmere - Multiplayer Campaign Port

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fabi
Inactive Developer

Legend of Wesmere - Multiplayer Campaign Port

Post by fabi »

This thread's purpose is the discussion of the multiplayer port of the "Legend of Wesmere" campaign.

Wesnoth ships with the mp port of the campaign enabled since 1.11.7.
Rya

Re: Legend of Wesmere - Multiplayer Campaign Port

Post by Rya »

I'm highly interested in official multiplayer campaigns (because they are hardly any add-on ones yet and those that are, are usually far away from the 'normal' Wesnoth gameplay).
I though of making one myself once, but I really dislike WML, I wouldn't even know how to chain my scenarios together. ^^'

I don't really care if a multiplayer campaign is based on an existing campaign or completely new, so I don't have any opinion on that. But good luck with your multiplayer campaign port. :-)
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Rya wrote: I though of making one myself once, but I really dislike WML, I wouldn't even know how to chain my scenarios together. ^^'
next_scenario=

just add the id of the next scenario to the key.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Rya wrote:I'm highly interested in official multiplayer campaigns (because they are hardly any add-on ones yet and those that are, are usually far away from the 'normal' Wesnoth gameplay).
I like to hear that, but LoW is far away from being an "official" multiplayer campaign.
There has not been a developers discussion about shipping it in mainline and it surely doesn't stand the quality requirements.
So maybe it will be removed again after it has fulfilled it's purpose as a testcase.
Because of that it is guarded by the --debug option.
sergi34

Post by sergi34 »

First problem. I cannot select difficulty level on Legend of Wesmere Multiplayer.

So I suppose it is on Normal Level by default. But I need to select Easy Level. Twice I started first scenario playing with my wife and twice I couldn't pass it. It's deceiving...
sergi34

Post by sergi34 »

Finally I pass the scenario but only the main player pass to next scenario, the other player says a message and stays on first scenario:

side 2 has no controller but should! the host needs to assign control for the game to proceed past that side's turn.
side 3 idem
side 4 idem
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

sergi34 wrote:Finally I pass the scenario but only the main player pass to next scenario, the other player says a message and stays on first scenario:

side 2 has no controller but should! the host needs to assign control for the game to proceed past that side's turn.
side 3 idem
side 4 idem
Thank you for the report. The issue has been fixed in current trunk.

Either fetch trunk via svn or wait for the next beta to be released.
You should be able to continue LoW MP with the next version and the latest autosave.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

sergi34 wrote:First problem. I cannot select difficulty level on Legend of Wesmere Multiplayer.

So I suppose it is on Normal Level by default. But I need to select Easy Level. Twice I started first scenario playing with my wife and twice I couldn't pass it. It's deceiving...
Yes, that feature is not implemented yet. This have to wait until 1.9.
The Campaign starts on HARD but remember that you have 2 players which doubles your starting gold.

Do you feel comfortable with a text editor?
It is easy to tune the campaign to MEDIUM or even EASY.

Just go for the _main.cfg in data/campaigns/Legend_of_Wesmere. Adjust the #define HARD in the #ifdef MULTIPLAYER statement.
sergi34

Post by sergi34 »

fabi wrote:
sergi34 wrote:First problem. I cannot select difficulty level on Legend of Wesmere Multiplayer.

Yes, that feature is not implemented yet. This have to wait until 1.9.
The Campaign starts on HARD but remember that you have 2 players which doubles your starting gold.

Do you feel comfortable with a text editor?
It is easy to tune the campaign to MEDIUM or even EASY.

Just go for the _main.cfg in data/campaigns/Legend_of_Wesmere. Adjust the #define HARD in the #ifdef MULTIPLAYER statement.
Yeah ok! I will change it on the _main.cfg file, no problem.

The other problem to checkout svn will be harder. No problem for me, using linux and confortable with autotools and svn, but my wife uses windows and I have no time to learn compilation methods on windows, right now. So I'll wait for the release.

thanks for the patch and the explanations! :)
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

sergi34 wrote: The other problem to checkout svn will be harder. No problem for me, using linux and confortable with autotools and svn, but my wife uses windows and I have no time to learn compilation methods on windows, right now. So I'll wait for the release.

I think you don't need to recompile the game, only check out the WML for LoW and put into your game folder at the right location. This should be easier :-)
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

pauxlo wrote:
sergi34 wrote: The other problem to checkout svn will be harder. No problem for me, using linux and confortable with autotools and svn, but my wife uses windows and I have no time to learn compilation methods on windows, right now. So I'll wait for the release.

I think you don't need to recompile the game, only check out the WML for LoW and put into your game folder at the right location. This should be easier :-)
I wish that this were true but it isn't.
Both, the wml and the underlying c++ engine can be broken with this test campaign.
In this special case the c++ code was broken.
sergi34

Post by sergi34 »

anyway definitely I will not recompile it on windows I have been trying for hours with codeblocks and following the forum
but I will need a "step by step" tutorial on the wiki. It's too difficult and too many linker errors.

On Linux I have also the SDL problem which I cannot click with the mouse ;)

<joking>It's a little bad luck for me on wesnoth these days :-P </joking>
BigCheese

Post by BigCheese »

I played the first 3 scenarios with my brother and so far it's a lot of fun. I suggest to turn a castle tile in a (second) keep tile within the starting areas. Switching places isn't that big of a deal, but each player having his own keep would be nice. So far it rocks to coop the campaign. Excellent job! Thank you :)
sergi34 wrote:Finally I pass the scenario but only the main player pass to next scenario, the other player says a message and stays on first scenario:

side 3 idem
side 4 idem
Until this is fixed you can continue the campaign with recall-list and gold by loading the save game:
1. finish sceanrio A
2. scenario B starts; player 2 is missing
3. quit
4. create game => load game (scenario_B.gz)
6. switch player2slot from "reserved" to "network player" (or "local player")
7. player 2 can join
8. coop on :)
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

BigCheese wrote:I played the first 3 scenarios with my brother and so far it's a lot of fun.
So far it rocks to coop the campaign. Excellent job! Thank you :)
Nice to hear that. :D
I suggest to turn a castle tile in a (second) keep tile within the starting areas. Switching places isn't that big of a deal, but each player having his own keep would be nice.
Yes, that is planned. But it's not that important so I will delay the extra starting areas till everything else is fine.
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

I really wanted to do this, but I at first couldn't get Wesnoth to launch in debug on my MacBook Pro. After some trial and error (and a Unix man page), I'd like to post on how to launch Wesnoth in debug mode on a Mac, for other Mac users:

- Open Terminal.app (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)

- Type the "open" command with a space, then the filepath to Wesnoth. In my case, I keep it in a folder called "Wesnoth 1.8b" in my Applications folder, since I have more than one version of Wesnoth and keep it organized. (note: A backslash must be typed before any space in a file or folder name in Terminal, or it will be read as a separate file path)

Code: Select all

open /Applications/Wesnoth\ 1.8b/Wesnoth.app
- Type a space, then type "--args --debug". (the --args is how you tell Terminal to pass a special argument to the app) It should look like this:

Code: Select all

open /Applications/Wesnoth\ 1.8b/Wesnoth.app --args --debug
Hit Enter, and Wesnoth launches in debug mode on the Mac. :)
I will now resume lurking silently.