New campaigns?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bialo224

New campaigns?

Post by Bialo224 »

I've been playing with ageless era a lot lately, and I'm just wondering why no one makes campaigns with add on factions. If there are already some made, then some one please let me know what they are.

But I think some one should make a campaign using a cool faction, such as vampires, or something like that. It could turn out really cool. I have plenty of ideas, but no way top transfer them into a tanglible form, because i have zero programming experience. If I was capable, I would totally make my own campaigns, however I am not. So if some one wants to take on this task then I would be more then willing to help in anyway possible.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: New campaigns?

Post by thespaceinvader »

Making campaigns is a bigger and more difficult investment than making factions. Feel free to do so yourself ;)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Bialo224

Post by Bialo224 »

I would... but I don't know the first thing about making a campaign =/ Otherwise I would gladly do it.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Bialo224 wrote:But I think some one should make a campaign using a cool faction, such as vampires,
Count Kromire :wink:
A few of the factions in Ageless are from IftU, so check that out as well if you haven't already.
Bialo224 wrote:I would... but I don't know the first thing about making a campaign =/ Otherwise I would gladly do it.
Learn. There is a whole wiki boiling over with all the info and resources you could ever need to learn how to code. WML is also an extremely simple scripting language. You don't need any programing background or experience to learn it. (I had -1 programming experience and I taught myself WML in a couple weeks just by studying already-written code. If you're really intense, you can probably even learn it in a few days.)
Don't read this if you're afraid of maybe being a little offended:
I apologize if I'm coming across as condescending or angry, I'm having a sort of bad day today. :)
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:I'm having a sort of bad day today.
Not to start a competition or cause a problem, but I had my wisdom teeth out today. :annoyed: (I know this is irrelevent, but I had to tell someone. Sorry, now it's out of my system. :wink: ) As I sit at my computer, drooling into a towel, these thoughts come to mind.

The wiki is no doubt a helpful resource, but the best way to comprehend WML is to study other's campaigns. You can survive on copy/paste for now, copying the relevant code from one scenario and pasting it into your own. Even the experts in WML prefer this method to writing the whole code out from scratch, which is much more time-consuming.

Start with something manageable, such as a simple 'defeat the enemy leader' scenario. Get to know how the various parts of a campaign work together to create a whole, and learn the basic structure of WML. From there, you can progress all the way to such difficult coding as [case] and [switch]. I must confess I've never used either of these, but I've honestly never had cause to.

To sum up, start simple and proceed from there. If you try to create a really complex scenario ridden with variables and advanced WML, chances are you will get frustrated midway through and give up completely. Have fun, and remember the WML forum is always here if you run into any trouble. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Hmm. Odd. I have a brother who had his wisdom teeth out yesterday too.
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
usr-sbin

Post by usr-sbin »

Bialo224 wrote:I have plenty of ideas, but no way top transfer them into a tanglible form, because i have zero programming experience. If I was capable, I would totally make my own campaigns, however I am not. So if some one wants to take on this task then I would be more then willing to help in anyway possible.
It is possible to make your own campaigns with no programming experience however I would suggest having a look around this thread. It has campaigns that people started but haven't finished for whatever reason. I would recommend it as it gives you a base to work on, an already started campaign and some idea of how to code them.

However if you wish to create your own then here are a few helpful links.

This page is the starting point and will help you with just about anything you will need help with from making your own units to creating art for the campaign. This will be your reference for WML which is the language you code in. If you encounter a problem then you should look here before asking for help.

It is recommended that you start off with a scenario to understand the basic WML principles. The link is here. Finally this is that link to help you creating units if you wish for your campaign. Although I would advise against it as you will also have to create the artwork for them unless you are a proficient artist ;)

Hope this helps
Last edited by ivanovic on February 9th, 2010, 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed [url=LINK]displayed content[/url] tags for real...
Continuing Siege of Soradoc
Peter the Great

Post by Peter the Great »

Psst! You messed up your links, you didn't close the url tag!
Latin:LVDVMAMISI (pronounced Loo-dum amee-C)
French: J'ai perdu le jeu.
English: I lost the game.
usr-sbin

Post by usr-sbin »

Peter the Great wrote:Psst! You messed up your links, you didn't close the url tag!
Thanks for the heads up Peter :D
Continuing Siege of Soradoc