Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Fog

Re: Outsider Art for Bad Moon Rising

Post by Fog »

Whoops! I didn't realize that. Sorry.
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

The way she is holding the arrow is very weird. Her one hand is posed like she is drawing the arrow back and ready to fire, but its not in position for that at all. It seems like its balanced on her left gauntlet and barely being touched by her right,
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks. I think the fire is done. It looks about as realistic as the rest of her. Time to move on.
lostnumber wrote:It seems like its balanced on her left gauntlet and barely being touched by her right,
Yep.
9hawkeye1d.png
9hawkeye1d.png (165.75 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Daxion

Post by Daxion »

I have to agree with Issyl, the arrow position (along with the hand holding the arrow) is a bit strange.

The usual way to quickly put an arrow on the string (and the bow) is in my experience to pull the arrow at the nock (the feathery part), place the main arrow body on the bow and hand (from abow). Now the arrow is on the bow, hand and arrow are both over the bow. Now the hand nocks the arrow (puts in on the string). The way the picture reads is that she has pushed the arrowpoint between string and bow from the blow. This is somewhat unnatural to do if you are holding the bow the way she does (I can provide pictures if wanted). I see it frequently with people who hold their bow vertical. Or (though I haven't seen archers around with that) if you have to place arrow on the other side of the bow (for example if you are using a mongolian draw).
For my part look at the arrow when I put in on the string, and put it on the string as soon as I put it on the bow. This also seems to me the natural thing to do, since its harder to loose the arrow. But she doesn't look at the arrow, and in fact is looking as if stalking her prey. I guess this are the two reasons why her hand position looks somewhat unnatural and strange to me.
I hope this helps a bit.

On a smaller note: currently the string on the bow tips looks like is will slide off (towards the front of the bow).
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

The arrow looks natural enough to me--she normally holds the bow vertically, but isn't right now for whatever reason (EG this way makes for a nicer composition), and is just resting the arrow there for a few seconds. I do that sometimes, though I am admittedly a rather...casual archer.

In any case, great work, as always!
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Skizzaltix wrote:The arrow looks natural enough to me--she normally holds the bow vertically, but isn't right now for whatever reason (EG this way makes for a nicer composition), and is just resting the arrow there for a few seconds. I do that sometimes, though I am admittedly a rather...casual archer.

In any case, great work, as always!
The only problem with this logic is that if you've lit your arrow on fire, you're probably not just hanging out. The casual stance is convincing, but the details contradict each other.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

A-Red wrote:The only problem with this logic is that if you've lit your arrow on fire, you're probably not just hanging out. The casual stance is convincing, but the details contradict each other.
The whole idea of a flaming arrow is probably not appropriate for one of these portraits, but I thought it could be cool enough not to matter. But I see what Daxion means about the eyes. I'll just get rid of the arrow.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Daxion

Post by Daxion »

I'll just get rid of the arrow.
Why don't you rotate the bow, so that the arrow sits on the string. I don't know that looks, but it feels as if it is natural enough. An arrow on the string also looks at tad more agressive.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Hey Doofus, this work for the engine-whatever? If not, I can recolor it and repurpose it for Steelhive, so no worries of wasted art here :lol2:

EDIT: New version, some minor changes. Like 10 pixels were changed in all.

EDIT: More changes. Man I should look over a sprite before I submit it to your scathing eyes, Forum.
Attachments
New version, lowered far wall a bit
New version, lowered far wall a bit
's Big Machine Thing.PNG (1.82 KiB) Viewed 2896 times
's Big Machine Thing.PNG
's Big Machine Thing.PNG (1.84 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
Last edited by Zerovirus on February 6th, 2010, 3:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Issyl

Post by Issyl »

That looks awesome, Zero.
I really like your sprite style.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks, Zerovirus. That's pretty much on the nail; neither steam-punk nor space-marines. And the "legs" that make it look like there is more of it buried under the floor are good too.

The only thing I think I'd change (I can do this or you could if you don't want me messing with your creation) is some of the texture. Simply filtering the contrast higher and saturation lower might do the trick, but I'd have to try it out to be sure. Basically, I'd try to get the material to look more like this thing:
The attachment machine-1.png is no longer available
--------------------
Daxion wrote:Why don't you rotate the bow, so that the arrow sits on the string.
That might work. I'm having a bit of difficulty figuring out how to do that without redrawing everything from shoulders down, but maybe it will come to me.

In the meantime, I've started a Primevalist fighter (will probably also be for fanatic). Both they and the orcs are the punching bags of BMR.
machine-1.png
machine-1.png (4.9 KiB) Viewed 2872 times
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I actually used the same pallete that you used for the Primevals' armor. Shiny and all, I thought it fit with the scheme of your campaign :P Time to go mess with palletes.

EDIT: I really should thank you for this. You do not know how much I learned about making palletes by analyzing your sprites and changing tints on my engine thing. There are so many pretty ways I could do this... But I'm going to just post the one that I think looks most like the example you posted.

(I'll be keeping this pallete for future sprites, BTW. :P)
Attachments
's Big Machine Thing.PNG
's Big Machine Thing.PNG (3.09 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Nice job, thanks!
-------------
I think this guy is just about finished.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I can barely claim to be a somewhat-competant sprite artist, and certainly not a portrait artist, but it seems to me, as a casual observer, that the place where the skin beneath the neck meets the clothing looks like it's actually on top of the clothing. I can't really tell you how to fix it, maybe add some shadows on his skin where it meets the clothing or something? Other than that, I really like this guy.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Also, his waist is REALLY narrow. He looks like a she from the pecs down...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.