Weight of Revenge

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dkaufman
Music Contributor

Weight of Revenge

Post by dkaufman »

It's been a while since I've contributed, but here's a new one for gameplay if you guys like it.

http://www.box.net/shared/q33g6uxca5
hiro hito

Re: Weight of Revenge

Post by hiro hito »

I like it!
"Of course His Majesty is a pacifist. When I told him that to initiate war was a mistake, he agreed.Thus, gradually, he began to lead toward war."-Emperor Shòwa (Enlightened Peace)'s chief cabinet secretary
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

It's an absolutely beautiful piece. Wow. I listened to it on headphones and it just pulled me in. I'm normally quite analytical when reviewing submission but this time the mood of the piece just grabbed me. I kept picturing something like the Elysium sequences from Gladiator.

I can't really fault anything with this piece. The arrangement and production is exquisite. The only thing that struck me as a little weird on the second listen were the two female voices at 1:40 or so. Are those real languages? One seems to be singing in some Norse language, while the other sounds distinctly Middle Eastern (possibly Greek?), both in terms of words and vocal technique. A bit of a clash there, but that's a very minor nitpick.

However, I don't know how Wesnothy this really is. It sounds a lot more like something from a historical drama rather than fantasy strategy gameplay music. OTOH, it's a superb track and I would hate to turn it down. We'd love to use it, all we need to figure out where and when. Could this fit into UtBS maybe?

Brilliant work, Doug. It's always a pleasure listening to your music. And frustrating, because now I feel I need to go and work harder on my own music :)
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

West wrote:However, I don't know how Wesnothy this really is. It sounds a lot more like something from a historical drama rather than fantasy strategy gameplay music. OTOH, it's a superb track and I would hate to turn it down. We'd love to use it, all we need to figure out where and when. Could this fit into UtBS maybe?
It fits LoW scenario 19 the one in which the elves destroy the saurian capitol.
PPH

Post by PPH »

Production is flawless. Great sound quality and samples. I like it, but don't love it. It certainly manages to convey a certain atmosphere, but I generally prefer music to be more melodious.

The transition between the first part and the second part (the part in which a bassoon plays and the part in which voices play) doesn't sound completely smooth to me. It seems to me it sounds more like two pieces of music, one played after the other. The second part, though, the one with the voices, is great, and in general, it's obvious you know what you are doing.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

I like it. It changes moods twice though so I'm not sure where it would fit. It sounds more like it should be scored to picture.

I can hear SD2, SC, and VoP or VotA, as well as SO in there if I'm not mistaken. Great use of EWQL. I'm not a huge fan of the SO Strings since I've acquired VSL, I would say change the staccato bass patches, but that's more of a preference to me.

Also, the Godzilla Hits that occur toward the end sound a little metallic to me, try a different note. The "rim-shot" Godzilla Hit just doesn't seem right to me right there.
dkaufman
Music Contributor

Post by dkaufman »

Listening to it again, I can see what you mean about it not sounding entirely "Wesnothian". Didn't really think about it when I was writing it...just felt like playing around with my voice plug-ins. If someone finds a use for it that's great - if not, I'm certainly not offended :p.

With that in mind, I wonder if it would be best for me to get some input on what kind of piece is most needed in-game right now. That way I'm writing for a purpose, and not just arbitrarily as a result of whatever mood I'm in.
What do you think?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

dkaufman wrote:. If someone finds a use for it that's great - if not, I'm certainly not offended :p.
I liked it, I think there are places where it could fit. If you are OK with people using it as it is, could you post either the .ogg or .wav? (So it doesn't get degraded by converting from mp3.)
Thanks.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
dkaufman
Music Contributor

Post by dkaufman »

Telaron

Post by Telaron »

A good converter program for mac is Switch. You may need to buy the ogg. format though. The download is free, and you can convert mp3 to wav without payment.
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

A good converter program for mac is Switch. You may need to buy the ogg. format though. The download is free, and you can convert mp3 to wav without payment.
Why would you convert .mp3 to .wav? That would be going against everything a .wav file is ;)
dkaufman
Music Contributor

Post by dkaufman »

Tyler Johnson wrote:
Why would you convert .mp3 to .wav? That would be going against everything a .wav file is ;)
It gives you that analog crunch and silky high end everyone's always looking for. ;)
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

dkaufman wrote:It gives you that analog crunch and silky high end everyone's always looking for. ;)
Yeah, the vintage sound of the future -- compression artifacts! I'll bet in 2040 we'll have expensive plugins that'll give your pristine 128bit/384kHz recordings those lovely grainy highs and distorted lows of a low-bitrate mp3.
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

For editing and converting audio on a Mac, I reccomend Audacity. It is Completely free, and easily capable of converting audio to .ogg with full metadata entry. It can open and save a myriad of formats, more than I've ever needed. While I'm not a very good composer, I use Audacity frequently for making sound effects.

Besides Audacity, I've heard that there is a Mac interface for ffmpeg floating around somwhere…
Last edited by StandYourGround on March 15th, 2010, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
I will now resume lurking silently.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

West, dkoufman with your permission,
I am going to commit the ogg file to trunk and wire it to some scenarios.
I won't wire it in the default playlist since the overall opinion seems to be that it doesn't
fit every Wesnoth situation.