Dead Leaves

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Fog

Dead Leaves

Post by Fog »

Hello fellow Wesnothonians! I had an idea to create a UMC about some geographic component of the Great Continent, and, while keeping in mind that I haven't played all of the campaigns, Glyn's forest caught my attention. It seemed to have very little information connected to it, which is a very good blank slate to write on. I would like to know: Does Glyn's Forest have a place in any of the campaigns?, What is known about Glyn's forest to the world of Wesnoth?

TIA!

This first post will be used for the viewing of what I have completed of Dead Leaves, the working title:

There are many forests in Wesnoth, some are the habitat of elves, some are built into structures, some are peaceful and magnificent. There are others that are plagued and sinister. One of these forests was not known to be evil by even some of the greatest of wesnoth’s scholars. It was unknown that between those trees, Death itself once took residence. Glyn’s forest did not used to be this way, it was tranquil.

Bordering Glyn’s Forest is a magnificent town, Tath, that seeps with magic. Karres, a great and powerful wizard, is the lord of Tath as well as training many novice mages. One mage that was named Phevern was having great difficulty with his studies; the only spell he could cast was a curse that poisoned beetles. Phevern blamed his inabilities on his teacher Karres, who, truthfully had lost most faith in his student. If his limitations weren’t frustrating enough, Karres would only try to teach Phevern simple uninteresting enchantments, like changing the colors of a flower. Phevern knew that his career as a magician would come to an early halt in Tath, so his packed his clothes, textbooks, and a few magical trinkets he snatched in a bag and departed north-east by the cover of darkness.

The following morning, Karres was not very surprised, more irritated by Phevern taking his charms and his books.
Last edited by Fog on January 31st, 2010, 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
fabi
Inactive Developer

Re: Glyn's Forest

Post by fabi »

Glyn's forest is only mentioned once in mainline:

message= _ "We're in the land of the Clans now; I know it well. The road north leads directly to the Great River; across it lies the orcs' home country in the Northlands. The westward road will keep us inside the realm of Wesnoth, for a time, before we reach another crossing point north of Glyn's Forest. If we travel along that path, we will not have to fight orcs immediately."

This is in "Eastern Invasion" scenario 6.
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

It's mentioned in the wiki as well:
Geography said: wrote:Glyn's Forest: Sometimes known as the Royal Forest, named for one of Haldric II's sons
AKA Marz
Two profiles are better than one
Latin Translator
Fog

Post by Fog »

Thanks for the info! What about Tath?
Could Glyn himself capture the forest from a native residence of undead+wolves?
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

As a note, feel free to do whatever you want in your own UMC. If a campaign is being considered for mainline, it's already of sufficient quality that canon history can be altered or tweaked to let it in (especially in something like this where there's already nigh no mention of it).
Fog

Post by Fog »

Preliminary Introduction:

Dead Leaves

There are many forests in Wesnoth, some are the habitat of elves, some are built into structures, some are peaceful and magnificent. There are others that are plagued and sinister. One of these forests was not known to be evil by even some of the greatest of wesnoth’s scholars. Today, its name is Glyn’s Forest, but there was a time where this forest stood nameless. It was unknown that between those trees, death itself took residence.

Not much to work with, but comments and criticism are welcomed!

-F
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

The semi-colon is your friend with such sentence structure :P
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

Fog wrote:There are many forests in Wesnoth: some are the habitat of elves, some are built into structures, some are peaceful and magnificent; there are others that are plagued and sinister. One of these forests was not known to be evil by even some of the greatest of Wesnoth’s scholars. Today, its name is Glyn’s Forest, but there was a time where when this forest stood nameless. It was unknown that between those trees, Death itself took residence.
General correctiness. Tath features in scenarios 7, 8 and 9 of Descent into Darkness. You can thank me for making that page in the first place. ;)
AKA Marz
Two profiles are better than one
Latin Translator
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Death would be capitalized if you were referring to him personifically (yes it's a word I swear <_<), like as in the reaper. Otherwise, no caps.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Jozrael wrote:If a campaign is being considered for mainline, it's already of sufficient quality that canon history can be altered or tweaked to let it in (especially in something like this where there's already nigh no mention of it).
Often, the campaign itself will get modified to fit mainline canon, though.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Fog

Post by Fog »

Bordering Glyn’s Forest is a magnificent town, Tath, that seeps with magic. Karres, a great and powerful wizard, is the lord of Tath as well as training many novice mages. One mage that was named Phevern was having great difficulty with his studies; the only spell he could cast was a curse that poisoned beetles. Phevern blamed his inabilities on his teacher Karres, who, truthfully had lost most faith in his student. If his limitations weren’t frustrating enough, Karres would only try to teach Phevern simple uninteresting enchantments, like changing the colors of a flower. Phevern knew that his career as a magician would come to an early halt in Tath, so his packed his clothes, textbooks, and a few magical trinkets he snatched in a bag and departed north-east by the cover of darkness.
The following morning, Karres was not very surprised, more irritated by Phevern taking his charms and his books.

Thanks for all the info guys!
And Fog said, "Let there be comment and criteque!"

P.S. The working title for my story/campaign and now the name of this topic is now Dead Leaves. I made an edit to the first page, too.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Re: Dead Leaves

Post by fabi »

Tath is the human fortification which acts as an battleground in LoW scenario 14.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Also, DiD's A Small Favor.
Fog

Post by Fog »

After playing Decent into Darkness, I realized that this must take place before Karres' death...
I also played LoW through.
Thanks!
kobe

Post by kobe »

There's an scenario in Delfador's Memories (mainline in 1.7.x) which takes place in Glyn's Forest, I think.
If I remember correctly, Kalenz is fighting some undeads there.