Ladder Site Online...

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

UngeheuerLich

Re: Ladder Site Online...

Post by UngeheuerLich »

A timelimit is common in chess.

And it is needed in competitive play. What however is needed is a pause function for the timer. Its enough if it is a multiplayer command usable by the host.

Also you should get a bonus for each unit you have, because otherwise factions with cheaper but less powerful units are at disadvantage.
hiro hito

Post by hiro hito »

UngeheuerLich wrote:A timelimit is common in chess.

And it is needed in competitive play. What however is needed is a pause function for the timer. Its enough if it is a multiplayer command usable by the host..
I like this idea!
UngeheuerLich wrote:Also you should get a bonus for each unit you have, because otherwise factions with cheaper but less powerful units are at disadvantage.
Totally agree if the timer setted is the default one which is completly unplayable for long Northeners/ Undeads matchup.....
"Of course His Majesty is a pacifist. When I told him that to initiate war was a mistake, he agreed.Thus, gradually, he began to lead toward war."-Emperor Shòwa (Enlightened Peace)'s chief cabinet secretary
Bast

Post by Bast »

Hi,

I have something to ask about ladder, and i hope this is the right place to do it.
The rules doesn't allows multiple accounts.

I personnaly would ask to allow one more account. So 2 accounts allowed per person.
In fact, only allowed to play with one of them in case of tourney.

Why ?

For two main reasons,

First, i dont play the same way if my main objective is to win only, or if it is to learn & have fun.
Learning means sometimes trying things, having fun means sometimes to take risks.
You could reply to me, then play without ladder these kinds of games.

My main reason to play ladder is that it is the easiest way to play nice 1v1s.
So the wesnoth ladder is, at this moment, not only about having a rank and being the choosen one. It is also a good way to improve, play nice games, obs nice games, etc...

But, if i want to know my exact "rank", i need to play more seriously. With less risks, more attention, etc...
I cant, and i dont want to always play that way, but i want to have the opportunity to use the other benefits of ladder at any time.

For these reasons, In need two accounts.
- One "fun" account to take benefit of ladder while havin good games, learning & improving. Also a solution to take benefit from ladder until you get ready to take your own nickname to know you real rank.
- One "serious" account, being sure to not be disturbed to have the attention, playing with the main objective to win only, etc...

Hope my english allowed me to be clear.

Happy New Year to all.

PS : i also totally agree about the time limit.
In chess, you have a time limit for the whole game, & not one turn. You can sometimes play a turn in 30 sec, but needs 6 minutes for another one. This should be counted.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Bast wrote: I personnaly would ask to allow one more account. So 2 accounts allowed per person.
I think a limit of 20 would be best. The moment you make #21....Banned! :lol2:
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Doc Paterson wrote:
Bast wrote: I personnaly would ask to allow one more account. So 2 accounts allowed per person.
I think a limit of 20 would be best. The moment you make #21....Banned! :lol2:
Besides Doc joke was fun, I am totally agree with Bast and I must I say I thought the same after play my first few ladder games. I also must say after read some post in this forum, was pretty clear for me ask for any change in wesnoth enveiroment would be a totally frustating way to get nothing, so here is my approach if it can help you in any way Bast:

Expirement and play for fun without take any care about rating. You always will have some idea about your real rating inside your mind. You will be probably the only one with an idea of your real rating, and is true the behavior others players will show to you will often be different if you had a huge ladder rating, but so is human nature and that wont change ever. Just take the good side of the issue and enjoy when your actual rating gets near your real one after destroy a very bigger than yours one :P
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Henrythe12th

Post by Henrythe12th »

Hello,

I am curious how the rating of sportsmanship is usually handled on ladder? Till now i have played 10 matches. I rated all my opponents but got only one rating back. Is it not common to give a rating? :hmm:
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I'm not a fan of a host-based timer function. What about a pause feature that requires at least 1 'yes' vote from each side, and a single 'no' vote from any player? Votes could be chat-based.
Henrythe12th

Post by Henrythe12th »

Jozrael wrote:I'm not a fan of a host-based timer function. What about a pause feature that requires at least 1 'yes' vote from each side, and a single 'no' vote from any player? Votes could be chat-based.
I think this is a good idea ... Sometimes players need a short break ...
Eskon

Post by Eskon »

It's mainly a mood thing, I guess. Some players rate regularly or fairly regularly, many don't bother.
Henrythe12th

Post by Henrythe12th »

Eskon wrote:It's mainly a mood thing, I guess. Some players rate regularly or fairly regularly, many don't bother.
Thanks, in this case i will behave similarly :)
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

Opinions on a tournament for ladder players

I'm wondering what your opinion is on the possibility of having the occasional tournament for the ladder players. Either e-mail your thoughts or post them here.
SO HOW ABOUT THAT OCCASIONAL TOURNAMENT!??!
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

I'm for anykinda tournament that includes playing wesnoth even if it would lower my ladder ratings! :)
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.
Henrythe12th

Post by Henrythe12th »

Cackfiend wrote:
Opinions on a tournament for ladder players

I'm wondering what your opinion is on the possibility of having the occasional tournament for the ladder players. Either e-mail your thoughts or post them here.
SO HOW ABOUT THAT OCCASIONAL TOURNAMENT!??!

I think it is a very good idea. How can I support you guys in organizing a tournament ?
NarajinX

Post by NarajinX »

Yeah, 41 pages of this thread...no tournament yet?