Pre-TRoW History

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sur.nhm

Pre-TRoW History

Post by sur.nhm »

I've been working since a while ago on a campaign that tells the story of the dwarves acsension from the underdark and of their first war with the elves.
Anyway, as nobody did anything about this particular time Wesnoth history I'm practically inventing the wheel. So far I have thought mostly about the Dwarves\Elves first contact, but clearly that's not enough. I'd really appreciate ideas about the genreal history thereabouts.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Pre-TRoW History

Post by thespaceinvader »

You mean on the Great Continent?

No, noone's really thought about it. Though the underdark is a D&D term, so I might pick something else ;)

You're eminently welcome to come up with your own story set in that time, there's basically no canon to tread on.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

don't know if you're more about existing lore or new ideas on pre-wesnothian history
mine would be the latter, but i'm yet to give the idea a publishable form and it's probably too early history for your purpose
-the idea was that most of the man-like races (so dwarves and elves included) came from a common ancestor race that got divided after a certain tragic event - those who would become dwarves gone underground to hide their shame, those to be elves gone to forests, comming under the care of fae spirits - at least those that didn't get banished for causing that event

don't know if it's any help to your cause, it doesn't touch the time when modern races were already formed and most memories of that ancient time was all but forgotten
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
RockScorpion

Post by RockScorpion »

sur.nhm wrote:I've been working since a while ago on a campaign that tells the story of the dwarves acsension from the underdark and of their first war with the elves.
Anyway, as nobody did anything about this particular time Wesnoth history I'm practically inventing the wheel. So far I have thought mostly about the Dwarves\Elves first contact, but clearly that's not enough. I'd really appreciate ideas about the genreal history thereabouts.
I had the same idea, but i never found the time to work on it, only for think about the storyline.
Now I have more spare time, so if you please we can work on it together.

I thought the first contact between the dwarfs and the elves was meanwhile the dwarfs was emerging from underground, in the hills at north of Wesmere, and met a elven scout patrol.
The leader of the patrol, fearing the dwarfs was hazardous, intimated their to disarm themselves and follow him to the Ka'lian for decide about them. But the dwarfs rebelled and defeated the patrol, getting start at the war. What do you think?

Forgive bad English.
Wesnoth Italian Forum

Forgive bad English
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

StDrake wrote:-the idea was that most of the man-like races (so dwarves and elves included) came from a common ancestor race that got divided after a certain tragic event - those who would become dwarves gone underground to hide their shame, those to be elves gone to forests, comming under the care of fae spirits - at least those that didn't get banished for causing that event
I'd personally prefer history at that point to be kept as fuzzy as possible in mainline to allow authors to come up with any theory that may or may not be true. I know I'm not an authority on this matter unlike the one who started this subforum, so this is my personal opinion. I admit I've come up with my own theories in my own user-made campaigns* and that they are essential to the plot, but I'm also being deliberately unclear about them.

* No, not in IftU, but in AtS, although it will affect IftU once version 0.3.0 is published.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

RockScorpion wrote: I thought the first contact between the dwarfs and the elves was meanwhile the dwarfs was emerging from underground, in the hills at north of Wesmere, and met a elven scout patrol.
The leader of the patrol, fearing the dwarfs was hazardous, intimated their to disarm themselves and follow him to the Ka'lian for decide about them. But the dwarfs rebelled and defeated the patrol, getting start at the war. What do you think?

Forgive bad English.
These are the general lines of my ideas too, though I planned on the dwarves ascending near Lintanir Forest, and not Wesmere, so I'll be able to use Velon (from LoW), and them meeting some woses at the start instead of elves.
Anyway, if you want to help, your welcome :D. PM me and we'll see what you want to\can do &c.
And about your bad English: nevermind, I'm not an English Speaker myself.

@Shadowmaster: as my WML is far from perfect, I think we can depend on it not being mainlined for a long, long time.

@spaceinvader: yes, we'll defiantly need another term for underdark. I thought about The Darkness Below or something similar. PS: Yes, I am talking about the Great Continent (Wesnoth whereabouts).

@StDrake: that's a nice idea, but that's even farther back than when I write. I think there's something about the creation of the world (Irdiya or whatever it's called) in OSJ's Scepter of Life.
ninjalj

Post by ninjalj »

sur.nhm wrote: @spaceinvader: yes, we'll defiantly need another term for underdark. I thought about The Darkness Below or something similar.
Or maybe be traditional and call it "the Bowels of (the Earth|Irdya)".
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

ninjalj wrote:Or maybe be traditional and call it "the Bowels of (the Earth|Irdya)".
I thought the term Irdya really wasn't used much (if at all) until after the fall?
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:
ninjalj wrote:Or maybe be traditional and call it "the Bowels of (the Earth|Irdya)".
I thought the term Irdya really wasn't used much (if at all) until after the fall?
I dunno, as Shadowmaster said, history's pretty fuzzy hereabouts, so we can use whatever we want.
ninjalj

Post by ninjalj »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:
Maybe it should only be known by some scholars (mages, runemasters, liches,... you get the idea). It's similar to how some ancient greek (was it Euklides?) even made an approximate calculation of the diameter of the Earth, but that knowledge was forgotten for centuries by almost everyone.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

ninjalj wrote:
Captain_Wrathbow wrote: I thought the term Irdya really wasn't used much (if at all) until after the fall?
Maybe it should only be known by some scholars (mages, runemasters, liches,... you get the idea). It's similar to how some ancient greek (was it Euklides?) even made an approximate calculation of the diameter of the Earth, but that knowledge was forgotten for centuries by almost everyone.
That's a good idea, but I think we'll stick with the Darkness Below for now (simpler).
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:I thought the term Irdya really wasn't used much (if at all) until after the fall?
shadowmaster ([url=http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?p=405508#p405508]in Users' Forum[/url]) wrote:
Captain_Wrathbow wrote:And Irdya is the planet. Although I'm not even sure if that is ever mentioned in mainline... maybe in UtBS, I can't remember?
Mentioned in a MP scenario description, Legend of Wesmere and Delfadors' Memoirs. It's not supposed to be general knowledge, really.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Oh yeah... :oops: :lol2: