18th Century Warfare Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 4.8.5(Final) - New Pictures!

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

Blarumyrran wrote:I really don't understand why people like to link thumbnails to annoying image hoster display pages, instead of directly to the file, like
Because I have no idea how you do it.
thespaceinvader wrote:I take it all of those images are GPL-compatible...?
These paintings, photographs and drawings are hundred of years old, their creators are long gone and they are of cultural and public value. And all of them can be found on the internet by googling. So I don't think there is anything wrong.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 4.8.6(Final) - New Pictures!

Uploaded 4.8.6, hopefully this will be the last bug fix.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:
thespaceinvader wrote:I take it all of those images are GPL-compatible...?
These paintings, photographs and drawings are hundred of years old, their creators are long gone and they are of cultural and public value. And all of them can be found on the internet by googling. So I don't think there is anything wrong.
He didn't ask if you did anything wrong, he asked if the pictures were GPL compatible, not at all the same question. Also, you can find lots of stuff by Google (most of it, in fact) that is most definitely still under copyright and not even remotely GPL compatible. I'm no expert on the GPL, but art from the actual 18th or 19th centuries are probably public domain as far as the images of the original art goes and may be fine, but you have to be able to check the source of every single piece of art used. In addition, modern day artist are still producing historical art that looks just like this, so you may very well be in copyright violation if you didn't actually keep track of all the sources you used.

If it's not GPL compatible, you're not allowed to show it off here to or make it available on the servers, so you'd best check and make sure before continuing.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Also, bear in mind that the original artwork is in the public domain, however, the actual photographs of it may not be, in much the same way as Beethoven's symphonies are public domain, but reproductions of them (on paper or as sound) are subject to copyright...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:When_to_use_the_PD-Art_tag wrote:A mere mechanical reproduction of some other image, such as an unmodified photocopy or scan of a drawing, cannot attract additional copyright protection over and above that of the original, as it lacks originality: it is a bare copy, no more. That rule applies internationally and, on Commons, is normally taken for granted.
Recordings wildly depend on the interpreters, so they do not go under that notice; pretty much anything other than a 2d image with no significant influence from the shooting environment, depends too much on the author of the copy to go under that. But paintings should really be okay.
PapaSmurfReloaded

thespaceinvader wrote:Also, bear in mind that the original artwork is in the public domain, however, the actual photographs of it may not be, in much the same way as Beethoven's symphonies are public domain, but reproductions of them (on paper or as sound) are subject to copyright...
Oh damn! So everytime I played "Ode to Joy" in my life on the piano I was infringing copyright?
Also am I violating copyright now and right here because I got a copy of the Ode to Joy sheet music?

I don't believe it :augh:

This was a complete waste of time. Seriously.
Last edited by PapaSmurfReloaded on January 23rd, 2010, 6:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Fair enough Blaru - I stand corrected.

Go on about your business, my apologies ;)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
keenbean

18 century warfare

Post by keenbean »

just started playing 18 century warfare. Looks great but can't figure out how to get troops across water?
Thanks
BurningSuns

Re: 18 century warfare

Post by BurningSuns »

where you play 18 century warfare ?
Araja

Re: 18 century warfare

Post by Araja »

It's a download from the Wesnoth add-on server.

As for the first question...I have no idea :P
PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 5.0.0(Final) - New Pictures!

The 18th Century Era works properly in Wesnoth 1.8.0 Stable and is on the addon server.
Guz

Post by Guz »

There is a problem with transports. This era is really appealing, but without transports, well, when England or Sweden are managed by the ai, these country simply don't work: they can't reach the continent, you know...Since there is already a 'transport' unit (you also included the old script...), why not trying to implement this?
PapaSmurfReloaded

Guz wrote:There is a problem with transports. This era is really appealing, but without transports, well, when England or Sweden are managed by the ai, these country simply don't work: they can't reach the continent, you know...Since there is already a 'transport' unit (you also included the old script...), why not trying to implement this?
1-The era is not supposed to be played by the AI but by human players. The AI doesn't know understand how the era works.
All the AI knows is that it has to recruit units, capture villages and kill the enemy.
The AI doesn't think.

2-You are supposed to move the leader across the sea and recruit at the castles by the sea, which can be attacked with ships.

3-The script causes desync, always, that's why I dumped it in first place, this era isn't new.
It would be possible to implement a system like the Modern Era transport but it's hardly worth it and too complicated.
The era would only work in maps with pre-made configuration files.

This is something that has been discussed thousands of times.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

PapaSmurfReloaded wrote: The era would only work in maps with pre-made configuration files.
nah, you can put all the wml into the era
The best bet is your own, good Taste.