World Conquest NM

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Natasiel
Moderator Emeritus

World Conquest NM

Post by Natasiel »

Hello folks,

for your convenience, an extension to the popular World Conquest multiplayer campaign has been uploaded on the add-ons server. The work is under slow but constant progress.

So far, as the main differences, you'll notice:

Backstab ring does'nt remove any attack. Units no longer fear to take this artifact.
Zephyr cloak also gives ambush. Bonus to skirmisher, your hero can now hides with your forester units.
Items are stackable. Any unit type can now be upgraded as your main heroes.
Elder Wose Leader is fixed. They got their own recruit list instead of a random one.

Feel free to report bugs and/or wishes to this thread.

Enjoy,

Nat.
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: World Conquest NM

Post by jb »

Nice work with the mod Natasiel.

Hopefully your next step is fixing the difficulty, as the new nightmare difficulty currently seems broken.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Natasiel
Moderator Emeritus

Nightmare level fixed

Post by Natasiel »

Thank you for your feedback.
The nightmare difficulty has been somewhat increased. Further testing is the only way to properly balance it. Besides, in a relatively near future, the difficulty level will only affect the number of turns required to end the scenarios; the amount of gold remaining the same for every difficulty levels.
Des

Post by Des »

I have to say, this expansion has fixed a lot of bugs with the older World Conquest.

I've been playing with a friend on the latest stable release (1.6.5), and we noticed that whenever we loaded a saved game multiple bugs would appear. He'd be on a different map, our gold would be off, we'd get out of sync errors, and previous units would be doubled in the recall list.

Thank you Natasiel for fixing these issues, as well as taking up the torch to continue development and improve on the original game play (I always thought items should be stackable).

I hope we can see continued support throughout the upcoming 1.8 release, as World Conquest is one of the best addons available.
Redrock Gulch (Winter 2009 Map Contest Submission)

To rely on rustics and not prepare is the greatest of crimes; to be prepared beforehand for any contingency is the greatest of Virtues. - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

I can't promise for all bugs to be fixed but WC should run a lot smoother with 1.8 now, especially regarding problems with reloaded saves.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Des

Post by Des »

That sounds great.

By the way, about how many devs are currently working World Conquest? And will this expansion always be compatible with it?

To rely on rustics and not prepare is the greatest of crimes; to be prepared beforehand for any contingency is the greatest of Virtues. - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Natasiel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Natasiel »

By the way, about how many devs are currently working World Conquest? And will this expansion always be compatible with it?
AFAIK, noone else is working on this.

I'm testing WC on trunk and the future is full of hopes.

The main problem so far is the random generator spawning labels everywhere on the map. I just don't know any ways to 'clear labels' from WML without looping through every hexes one by one.

If there is a parameter that map_generation can take to produce a clean map without random labels, I'm all eager to know.
Des

Post by Des »

Natasiel,

I noticed your expansion got updated today. Any significant changes?

I have a game saved using the previous version. Will I be able to continue that game with the updated version and see the changes?

Natasiel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Natasiel »

Changelog:

The latest release is mainly a test release, adding some goodies that may show up from time to times. To spoil everything, a new artifact has been added: The Stormbringer. It cannot be bought, only found in the special bonus treasures. The scarcity is high enough that I have'nt been able to find it yet in all my testing. That's the wanted behavior. So if anyone ever find Stormbringer, it would be nice to hear about it in this thread. :)

As for compatibility, the way it works, if you reload an old savegame, you will then continue from the previous version for the current scenario. Though, as soon as you move up to the next scenario, the new version will be loaded and kick in.

As from now on, all development is aimed toward trunk for stability and compatibility when 1.8 is out.
psychic

Post by psychic »

I am the one playing this map with Des. During our game we thought it would be nice to be able to teleport to allied villages since:

1. More than one type of unit can get the teleport ability and hence will make the map interesting when we have a small commando style strike force that can help across the map.

2. In the current game style there is not much use to the teleport ability apart from using far away villages for heal.

Forgive me if this is something that cannot be done by scenario developers.
Natasiel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Natasiel »

Teleport is actually one of the most useful skill, the only hindrance there is from your above suggestion, is the need to send a scout and capture a village.

It might be possible to implement, but I won't waste the high amount of required time to do this. It is too much perfect the way it works right now.
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

During our game we thought it would be nice to be able to teleport to allied villages
Changing the way teleport works is a major undertaking. Furthermore, I dont' think it's worth the effort, since teleport already is a powerful tool.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Natasiel
Moderator Emeritus

MP campaign [side] bug

Post by Natasiel »

I am still trying to port World Conquest to trunk, and found a rather strange bug ...

Here's what I have in scenario 1:

Code: Select all

[side]
        [ai]
                villages_per_scout=16
        [/ai]
        side=1
        save_id="WCp1"
        canrecruit=yes
        controller=human
        team_name=allies
        user_team_name="Allies"
        fog=yes
        gold=125
        village_gold=2
        persistent=1
[/side]
And in scenario 2:

[side]
        [ai]
                villages_per_scout=16
        [/ai]
        save_id="WCp{SIDE}"
        persistent=1
        canrecruit=yes
        type=Peasant
        side={SIDE}
        gold={GOLD}
        controller=human
        team_name=allies
        user_team_name="Allies"
        fog=yes
        village_gold=2
        share_view=yes
[/side]
The thing that confuses me is the "type=Peasant" in the second scenario. In WC, the leader is chosen by the player, so I can't guess the type. A peasant is spawned as leader but this changes the player name to the one randomly generated by the peasant while the ancient leader sits on the recall list with the right name.

The original leader, once recalled can also recruit. I know two leaders is better than only one, but that's not the point. From what I read, "type=" is mandatory?

further development, quoting console logs:
20100124 00:48:23 warning engine: player not found when trying to recall!
player_id: WCp2 index: 1
player_id: WCp3 index: 2
player_id: index: 3
Further inspections shows that between scenarios, some values are lost:

# results from scenario 1
current_player = PlayerName
id = PlayerName1
name = PlayerName

# results from scenario 2
current_player = RandomlyGeneratedName
id = 
name = 
I guess next step is to look around if TL didn't play with these values somewhere else, like using a workaround hack to fix issues in Wesnoth 1.6. I'm borderline to cluelessness.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

It is very difficult to tell something, since that information might be found multiple times depending on which save you were evaluating (there is replays, "normal" manual saves, start-of-scenario saves, autosaves).

If you want me to have a look at that you need to send me the current WC files as well as the saves (or alternatively a procedure to reproduce that behaviour).
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Crab
Inactive Developer

Post by Crab »

There are two bugs that should be fixed or worked around.

The first bug is with the fact that id's of leaders are changed to player's names, preventing correct replacing of leader in the second scenario, and it can be worked around by using 'no_leader="yes"' in the second scenario, and then recalling all units which can recruit in 'prestart' event.

Also, current code contains a bug which prevents old recall lists from being correctly populated in MP campaigns. From my experiments on MP sandbox campaign, the solution is known, working, but untested, 1-line patch to c++ engine, and I think that I'll be able to test it and insert it before next release. Also, I think that it would be a good thing if you point me at a latest version of WC for 1.7 line (via a link or PM), so i'll be able to check if leaders and recall lists can be made to work correctly