Error when designing MP Maps

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BrandonD

Error when designing MP Maps

Post by BrandonD »

Hi, this may be a common problem but I wasn't able to find it on the forum as of yet:

When I design a MP map, it shows up at the top of the list when I go to play an MP game, but when I click on the name it simply says "error" beneath the map image and I'm not able to play it.

I am doing everything correctly, as far as I can tell. I had the older version of Wesnoth and I made lots of working MP maps with that editor. But ever since downloading the newest version of Wesnoth, I cannot seem to create an MP map that works. They all just give an "error" message. i can't figure out why, since they are just simple straightforward maps, no added fancy stuff just terrain, and castles and flags for the player leaders.

Any help would be much appreciated.

(p.s. wesnoth is my all time favorite turn-based game, thank you to all developers and artists involved!)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Error when designing MP Maps

Post by Pentarctagon »

if you went from the 1.6 branch to the 1.7 branch, the campaigns folder has been renamed as add-ons.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

BrandonD wrote:When I design a MP map, it shows up at the top of the list when I go to play an MP game, but when I click on the name it simply says "error" beneath the map image and I'm not able to play it.
Check stderr.txt or similar to see the actual error message.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
BrandonD

Post by BrandonD »

Soliton wrote:Check stderr.txt or similar to see the actual error message.
Hi I haven't been able to locate that particular file.

Slightly more detail of my problem: The Wesnoth I'm using is version 1.6.4 - I've tried to create 2 different maps by going through the "map editor" button. They were both very simple maps with just terrain and castles with the team flag in the center. I created and saved the maps, but when I click on either map in the multiplayer section, the 'ok' button is grayed out, no image appears in the map image area, and it says "error" beneath the map image area.
Max

Post by Max »

can you attach such a map here?
BrandonD

Post by BrandonD »

Max2008 wrote:can you attach such a map here?
I'm not sure how to attach a file, but here's a mediafire link to one of them:

http://www.mediafire.com/?tyjmzlzzm3d

This might be useful also, I just tried dropping maps I had made in the older map editor into the folder to try them out, and none of them work either. However, they all worked in the previous version.

By the way, thanks very much for your help!
mich
Translator

Post by mich »

You can't use the campaigns terrains. In particular you are using the terrain with the fire here. It's an UtBS specific terrain, and you can't use it (if you don't know how to use it naturally). If there are others campagns terrains remove them too.
BrandonD

Post by BrandonD »

mich wrote:You can't use the campaigns terrains. In particular you are using the terrain with the fire here. It's an UtBS specific terrain, and you can't use it (if you don't know how to use it naturally). If there are others campagns terrains remove them too.
Ah ha, thanks very much!