Conquest 1.0 - Now on the 1.6 Add-on Server

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MRhe

Re: Conquest 1.0 - Now on the 1.6 Add-on Server

Post by MRhe »

One thing I noticed is that while playing Wesnoth 1.16, the game crashed when I tried to board a unit. Is this the boarding bug that some of you were talking about on page 7? What causes this specifically (it seems as if some of you know but I couldn't make out what it is from the discussion)? Is this fixed in the latest release?
Lmao

Post by Lmao »

MRhe wrote:One thing I noticed is that while playing Wesnoth 1.16, the game crashed when I tried to board a unit. Is this the boarding bug that some of you were talking about on page 7? What causes this specifically (it seems as if some of you know but I couldn't make out what it is from the discussion)? Is this fixed in the latest release?
yes that is the boarding bug. the cause is when you move your unit onto the town and then board. your unit must not have moved at all in the turn you are boarding it, else you will crash. something to do with the undos according to CIB
Lmao

Post by Lmao »

Mabuse wrote:
Lmao wrote: UPDATE :
Bitter Swamp doesnt seem to allowing you to recruit undead in 1.172.
in my tests it works
oh i found the problem. Atleast from what i see, the abez bonus was renamed to bitter swamps and there are now villages to the east of eastmark and they have no labels but can recruit undead.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

ups. my bad.

the labels of abez were overwritten with the bitter swamp names, fixed that.

of course abez gives abez bonus and bitter swamps are now displayed on map at correct position

thx for report
Attachments
conquestpack1173.zip
(17.35 KiB) Downloaded 601 times
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
europe_emperor

Post by europe_emperor »

it's all OK
don't change the attack types, i said because you said something about changing, it would not make any sense to do that, then it would be a wesnoth game with all units BERSERK and recruiting not on a castle but on a village.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

btw to make lieutenats and generals more useful we could half their HP and give them 50% blade resistance. this would make them recover in villages faster (by factor 2).

right now wounded lieutenants and generals remain weakened becasue village healing has no real effect on them

(same for galleons and warships)
ViK

Post by ViK »

Mabuse wrote:(same for galleons and warships)
except that u cant really heal galleons and warships? They can't go into a village, right?
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

ViK wrote: except that u cant really heal galleons and warships? They can't go into a village, right?
hehe, right.
only exception is when you buy them ;)

then they start in the village (and may defend it)
alda

Post by alda »

Hi there,

Today, I had some free time and I said to myself : why not making a conquest map ? So here is the result (attached below).

This map is similar to the Wesnoth one in the sense that you'll find different races here. However, unlike the other two maps, it's not constructed on an existing map, the map having just been created by myself in an attempt to ensure a good gameplay.

Now, here are the details :

1. As I said, you'll find different races here. There are of course humans, including ships. The other races here are undead, drakes and merfolk.
The undead are the ones made by Mabuse on the Wesnoth map.
The drakes, as every good drake, can fly (shame on you, clasher ! :) ) . It should be a huge advantage so they cost more and they are quite weakened also (compared to dwarves or undead who cost the same). This advantage is also couterbalanced by the fact that they have lousy defenses.
The mermen, as ships are good on water fighting, but they can also take villages and can sometimes fight on the ground. Their stats should take this advantage in consideration. They have also no real scout, so their "cavalry" (which is the netcaster) has only 9 moves.

2. The maps contains 65 villages, divided into 16 regions for bonus, so it has approximately the size of the Wesnoth map.

3. This map, being an island, is very oriented on fights on the sea (so with ships, mermen, ghosts, and maybe drakes, or even skeletons :lol2: (well, I'm laughing here, but writing this, I just realized how submerge could be useful for this game...)).

4. And here it is. Quite easy to make a Conquest map isn't it ? (actually the thing that took me most time was finding 65 names for the towns :annoyed: )

Okay, now I haven't really tested the map, and I don't know how it should work. The fact that many units can cross water could make it a little unstable. I don't know if I'll have time to test it on a MP game within few days, so if anyone want to play it, and report here bugs/balance problems/any suggestion, he's welcome !
Attachments
'wan_island10.rar
(8.33 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

hey alda.
good to see you work on this.
yes, conquest maps can be made very quickly (once yoou get the names of the cities :D)
since all the code is aleady there (ok, i admit you made the map for yourself, sooo ... its good effort :))

one thing about the balance:
ok, drakes can fly. but they have already lousy terrain defense. so even with same stats as the other 2 gold units, they are weaker in combat than the other units.
in my opinion theres no need to make them even weaker. over water drakes really start to suck.

so my advice is to make them have the same stats as the cost-equivalent units. their cavalry may suck then though ;) (hurricane drakes have a bit better def than the others though, so its ok in the end)
alda

Post by alda »

Yes, I think you are right about the drakes. Their stats were done quite quickly and were a bit messed up. Now, for more simplicity, I have made them so that :
- drake infantry and elite infantry has the same stats as their dwarf and undead equivalent
- hurricane drakes has the same stats as gryphons

I also modified a bit the map by :
- adding a merfolk city on the west of the map to have more water fighing here
- adding and deleting some reefs near cities, since they are a big advantage for mermen to take cities so they sould be placed carefully
- changing a little bit of the north west, so that regions of Lobwelig and Nulven are at a "1 turn ship" distance
- placing a ford near Ilonen to enable 1st turn recruitment here

So here's the new version :
Attachments
conquest_jel_wan_island11.rar
(8.39 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
Lmao

Post by Lmao »

i know its kinda hard to balance these but now there are 3 races w/ pretty strong stats. One was good, two was okay, idk about 3. Maybe instead you can make a race that is cheaper and faster but they're weaker(maybe better def). saurians or something.
alda

Post by alda »

I don't know what you really mean about "pretty strong strats", but mermen for example are weaker than humans (for the same price). So there are only two races with strong stats (and high costs).

I'll stay with these three races anyway. If I think that a faction is too powerful though (maybe drakes), I may decrease the income bonus of their region.
Lmao

Post by Lmao »

We alredy have undead and dwarves w/ units 12-3 45 hp/12-4 80 hp. Now we have drakes, i think there are to many races like that. each race should have its own unique abilities and disadvantages. Which is why i suggested saurians. Something that is weaker then most races but are cheap and maybe have good terrain bonus.
Ebef

Post by Ebef »

Sry, but I had heared about this map and it seems to be funny to play it. So I downloaded it and put it into my wesnoth. But each time I try to run a conquest map my wesnoth complain about that there were no players at the map so it couldn't run it. I haven't got an idea anymore...it would be nice if you can help me. :wink: